SR6 signal levels

  • Rob Campbell
    Message 1 of 21 , May 30, 2006
      Hi,

      I've just been testing my SR6 at work today and wonder if anyone can
      say whether the signal levels I've seen are reasonable.

      Using Winrad and an HP RF signal generator.
      Noise floor around -100dB
      -100dBm output from the generator is easily seen at around -80dB on
      the display and gives around an S1/S2 on the "meter".
      -60dBm out gives around an S5 on the "meter" (sorry, should have noted
      the actual signal level but forgot).

      PC is an old HP Kayak XU800 with an on-board (probably AC97) sound
      card sampling at 48k.

      Rob GM6OQN
    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 21 , May 30, 2006
        Rob,

        It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator to make a
        standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then noting
        the level you have going in from the generator. This will give the
        noise floor of the SoftRock.

        Bill, WB5TCO

        Rob Campbell wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've just been testing my SR6 at work today and wonder if anyone can
        > say whether the signal levels I've seen are reasonable.
        >
        > Using Winrad and an HP RF signal generator.
        > Noise floor around -100dB
        > -100dBm output from the generator is easily seen at around -80dB on
        > the display and gives around an S1/S2 on the "meter".
        > -60dBm out gives around an S5 on the "meter" (sorry, should have noted
        > the actual signal level but forgot).
        >
        > PC is an old HP Kayak XU800 with an on-board (probably AC97) sound
        > card sampling at 48k.
        >
        > Rob GM6OQN

        > Ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

      • Rob Campbell
        Message 3 of 21 , May 31, 2006
          OK, Bill.

          It'll have to be "as time permits" at work so don't hold your breath.

          Although I have an old HP 3335A HF generator at home, I don't have a
          suitable PC (yet!) I thought I would give Linrad a try but have
          found my Linux machine has a fault - keeps shutting down. I suspect
          a thermal problem, probably find the CPU fan has packed in :-(

          Will get back with results as soon as possible.

          Rob, GM6OQN

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@...> wrote:

          > Rob,
          >
          > It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator to
          make a
          > standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then
          noting
          > the level you have going in from the generator. This will give
          the
          > noise floor of the SoftRock.
          >
          > Bill, WB5TCO
          >
          > Rob Campbell wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I've just been testing my SR6 at work today and wonder if anyone
          can
          > > say whether the signal levels I've seen are reasonable.
          > >
          > > Using Winrad and an HP RF signal generator.
          > > Noise floor around -100dB
          > > -100dBm output from the generator is easily seen at around -80dB
          on
          > > the display and gives around an S1/S2 on the "meter".
          > > -60dBm out gives around an S5 on the "meter" (sorry, should have
          noted
          > > the actual signal level but forgot).
          > >
          > > PC is an old HP Kayak XU800 with an on-board (probably AC97)
          sound
          > > card sampling at 48k.
          > >
          > > Rob GM6OQN

          > > Ham radio
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          of

          -------

        • FRANCIS CARCIA
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have used the one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area.  gfz
          • Bill Dumke
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
              Francis,

              Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
              single problem with these SDR type radios.

              Bill WB5TCO

              FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

              > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have used the
              > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area. gfz

              > Ham radio
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

            • Ford Peterson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                Bill wrote:

                > Francis,
                >
                > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                > single problem with these SDR type radios.
                >
                > Bill WB5TCO

                "that is" being phase noise of course.

                Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

                My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

                Ford-N0FP
                ford@...
              • KD5NWA
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                  According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.

                  At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
                  >Francis,
                  >
                  >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                  >single problem with these SDR type radios.
                  >
                  >Bill WB5TCO
                  >
                  >FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
                  >
                  > > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have used the
                  > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area. gfz

                  > > Ham radio

                  Cecil Bayona
                  KD5NWA
                  www.qrpradio.com

                  "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
                • FRANCIS CARCIA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                    I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

                    Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
                    Bill wrote:

                    > Francis,
                    >
                    > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                    > single problem with these SDR type radios.
                    >
                    > Bill WB5TCO

                    "that is" being phase noise of course.

                    Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

                    My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

                    Ford-N0FP
                    ford@...

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • KD5NWA
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                      A receiver with a good Norton pre-amp that can be bypassed, followed by a DBDM mixer then a IF QSD detector, with of course a clean LO for the mixers would make an excellent radio that is tough, agile, and multi-mode capable. All the while being a very simple radio.

                      At 01:59 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
                      I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

                      Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
                      Bill wrote:

                      > Francis,
                      >
                      > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                      > single problem with these SDR type radios.
                      >
                      > Bill WB5TCO

                      "that is" being phase noise of course.

                      Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

                      My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

                      Ford-N0FP
                      ford@...

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Ham radio

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • riese-k3djc@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                        right wing conspiracy

                        K3DJC
                        On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:17:23 -0500 KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> writes:
                        > According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.
                        >
                        > At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
                        > >Francis,
                        > >
                        > >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the
                        > biggest
                        > >single problem with these SDR type radios.
                        > >
                        > >Bill WB5TCO
                        > >
                        > >FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have
                        > used the
                        > > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area.
                        > gfz

                        > > > Ham radio

                        =t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

                        > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                        > of

                        > Cecil Bayona
                        > KD5NWA
                        > www.qrpradio.com
                        >
                        > "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna

                        > --------------------~-->
                        > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
                        > See how.
                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                      • KD5NWA
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                          Sorry, I'm pretty far to the right and I believe in phase noise, I
                          believe in jitter. This one must be a far left wing conspiracy.

                          At 02:28 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
                          >right wing conspiracy
                          >
                          >K3DJC
                          >On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:17:23 -0500 KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> writes:
                          > > According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.
                          > >
                          > > At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
                          > > >Francis,
                          > > >
                          > > >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the
                          > > biggest
                          > > >single problem with these SDR type radios.
                          > > >
                          > > >Bill WB5TCO

                          > > used the
                          > > gfz

                          >=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

                          > > of

                          > > Cecil Bayona
                          > > KD5NWA
                          > > www.qrpradio.com
                          > >
                          > > "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Cecil Bayona
                          KD5NWA
                          www.qrpradio.com

                          "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
                        • Phil Covington
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

                            > A receiver with a good Norton pre-amp that can be bypassed, followed
                            > by a DBDM mixer then a IF QSD detector, with of course a clean LO for
                            > the mixers would make an excellent radio that is tough, agile, and
                            > multi-mode capable. All the while being a very simple radio.

                            Duplicate the K2 front end and it's PLL without the DAC tuned
                            reference oscillator (we can deal with the 5kHz steps in software) -
                            run the 5 MHz IF into a QSD (20 MHz low phase noise xtal osc divided
                            by 4 to get quadrature) - I think this would be an excellent marriage
                            of K2 and SDR. No DDS. I have wanted to try this since 2003, but
                            keep getting sidetracked.

                            73 de Phil N8VB
                          • Rob Campbell
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                              I managed to get a couple of hours after work today so here are the
                              results of my testing so far:

                              Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                              ------------ ------------------- -------
                              -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                              -32.2 -2 S8
                              -40 -5 S7
                              -50 -15 S6
                              -60 -25 S5
                              -70 -35 S4
                              -80 -45 S3
                              -90 -55 S2
                              -100 -65 S1/S2
                              -110 -75 S1
                              -120 -85 <S1
                              -130 -95 see note 1 below
                              -134 -** see note 2
                              -135 -** see note 3

                              Notes
                              -----
                              1. It was difficult to see any signal over the noise on the Spectrum
                              display but the trace on the Waterfall was still distinct.
                              2. No visible signal on the Spectrum, Waterfall becoming indistinct.
                              3. Last traces of a signal still visible on the Waterfall.
                              4. All measurements taken with an unmodulated carrier at 7.046MHz.
                              5. Soundcard was a Crystal Fusion AC97 on the motherboard.
                              6. Noise with no signal applied sits about the -100dB mark.
                              7. Below -130dBm in it was hard to make out any audible tone but the
                              waterfall display was still usable (probably only for slow morse).

                              No measurements taken with Rocky yet but subjectively it looks
                              pretty good. After doing a sweep with the signal generator (50 1kHz
                              steps pausing for 1s at each step) to set the balance, image
                              rejection is about 80dB.

                              Hope this is useful.

                              Rob, GM6OQN

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Campbell" <gm6oqn@...> wrote:
                              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Rob,
                              > >
                              > > It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator
                              > make a
                              > > standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then
                              > noting
                              > > the level you have going in from the generator. This will give
                              > the
                              > > noise floor of the SoftRock.
                              > >
                              > > Bill, WB5TCO

                            • Jim Miller
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                i think the conspiracists are on "shakey" ground.

                                couldn't resist...

                                back to my cypress fx2lp datasheet...

                                73

                                jim ab3cv

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  I got similar numbers with my homebrew running about 500 hz. bw.

                                  ------------   -------------------   -------
                                  -32             0                    multiple harmonics visible
                                  -32.2          -2                    S8
                                  -40            -5                    S7
                                  -50            -15                   S6
                                  -60            -25                   S5
                                  -70            -35                   S4
                                  -80            -45                   S3
                                  -90            -55                   S2
                                  -100           -65                   S1/S2
                                  -110           -75                   S1
                                  -120           -85                   <S1
                                  -130           -95                   see note 1 below
                                  -134           -**                   see note 2
                                  -135           -**                   see note 3

                                  Notes
                                  -----
                                  1. It was difficult to see any signal over the noise on the Spectrum
                                  display but the trace on the Waterfall was still distinct.
                                  2. No visible signal on the Spectrum, Waterfall becoming indistinct.
                                  3. Last traces of a signal still visible on the Waterfall.
                                  4. All measurements taken with an unmodulated carrier at 7.046MHz.
                                  5. Soundcard was a Crystal Fusion AC97 on the motherboard.
                                  6. Noise with no signal applied sits about the -100dB mark.
                                  7. Below -130dBm in it was hard to make out any audible tone but the
                                  waterfall display was still usable (probably only for slow morse).

                                  No measurements taken with Rocky yet but subjectively it looks
                                  pretty good. After doing a sweep with the signal generator (50 1kHz
                                  steps pausing for 1s at each step) to set the balance, image
                                  rejection is about 80dB.

                                  Hope this is useful.

                                  Rob, GM6OQN

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Campbell" <gm6oqn@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Rob,
                                  > >
                                  > > It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator
                                  > make a
                                  > > standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then
                                  > noting
                                  > > the level you have going in from the generator.  This will give
                                  > the
                                  > > noise floor of the SoftRock.
                                  > >
                                  > > Bill, WB5TCO

                                • FRANCIS CARCIA
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    Nigel,
                                    I sent the daVinci code to the wrong place please send me a pm and I will try again.
                                    I deleted you mail so lost the address. frank

                                    Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
                                    Bill wrote:

                                    > Francis,
                                    >
                                    > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                                    > single problem with these SDR type radios.
                                    >
                                    > Bill WB5TCO

                                    "that is" being phase noise of course.

                                    Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

                                    My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

                                    Ford-N0FP
                                    ford@...

                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • Alberto I2PHD
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                      > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                                      > ------------ ------------------- -------
                                      > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                                      > -32.2 -2 S8
                                      > -40 -5 S7
                                      > -50 -15 S6
                                      > -60 -25 S5
                                      ---- snip ----

                                      Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the sound card.

                                      73 Alberto I2PHD
                                    • Bill Tracey
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                        Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
                                        hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
                                        signal on 7 MHz. Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Bill (kd5tfd)

                                        At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                                        > > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                                        > > ------------ ------------------- -------
                                        > > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                                        > > -32.2 -2 S8
                                        > > -40 -5 S7
                                        > > -50 -15 S6
                                        > > -60 -25 S5
                                        >---- snip ----
                                        >
                                        >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
                                        >sound card.
                                        >
                                        >73 Alberto I2PHD
                                      • FRANCIS CARCIA
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                          That is what I found. The OP amp gain jacks the signal to sound card saturation.

                                          Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:
                                          Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
                                          hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
                                          signal  on 7 MHz.  Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Bill (kd5tfd)

                                          At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                                          > > Signal (dBm)   Winrad display (dB)   Comment
                                          > > ------------   -------------------   -------
                                          > > -32             0                    multiple harmonics visible
                                          > > -32.2          -2                    S8
                                          > > -40            -5                    S7
                                          > > -50            -15                   S6
                                          > > -60            -25                   S5
                                          >---- snip ----
                                          >
                                          >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
                                          >sound card.
                                          >
                                          >73  Alberto  I2PHD

                                          Ham radio

                                        • Sparkes, John
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                                            Well, according to ONE, anyway...!

                                            wrote:

                                            > > I just found a good article on measuring phase
                                            noise. I have used the
                                            > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded
                                            into the file area.  gfz

                                            > > SPONSORED
                                            LINKS
                                            > > Ham radio
                                            > >
                                            > <
                                            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

                                            unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                            > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                                            subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                                            >Yahoo! Groups
                                            Links

                                            Cecil Bayona
                                            KD5NWA
                                            www.qrpradio.com

                                            "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna

                                          • Robert Campbell
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                                              Thanks, guys.

                                              Looks like the perfomance is OK and I haven't messed
                                              up in construction. I figured the harmonics were down
                                              to overdriving the soundcard input.

                                              Just need to see what it does with an antenna now :-)

                                              Rob GM6OQN

                                              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html