Re: [softrock40] Re: WRplus SDR 1.0 preview release

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 26, 2010
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Sandro"
    Subject: [softrock40] Re: WRplus SDR 1.0 preview release

    > To all WRplus users experiencing problems: it would be useful to me having
    > details of your systems, in particular:
    >
    > -the OS installed
    > -the CPU

    I attach 3 screenshots. This seems to me to be what others have seen.

    My system AMD dual core XP SP3.

    73 Alan G4ZFQ
  • EB4APL
    Message 35 of 35 , Sep 26, 2010
      Hi,

      I has been doing some test with this first version and here are my findings and wishes.

      1.- Regarding the picket fence in the display I believe this is an artifact, because these spikes can not be heard.
      In my system (Intel CPU single core, XP SP3, Softrock xtal controlled) I found that the picket spacing is twice the sampling rate divided by 1000.  I see them either without any input signal or connected to a signal generator but without the zoom are difficult to see.  Their amplitude is about 110 dB below the 0 reference without any input and -65 dB with a -30dBm input signal.  It is about 70 dB above the rcv floor.

      2.- Found that under some not well defined circumstances,  a virtual LO wanders!!.  I would not believe that if somebody told me that, but I have heard and seen it and I took pictures.   You start other programs to increase the CPU load and past a point you hear the (numerical!) last LO moving up and down up to 50 Hz, wandering a while, sometimes a long time after the CPU load decreased to a low value.  You also see the shift in the audio SA window.  Wow, what a boat anchor emulation, it looks like my '1953 Marconi when I drop something on the table, just instead kicking the cabinet you kick the CPU.  Later I found that it is enough to "shake" the program window fast to produce the shifts, for a more complete emulation!!.  Once you make this oscillator unstable, any operation in the computer makes it wander for a while.  If you switch the console to off and then on the oscillator became stable again.

      Making more tests I also found the same behavior in Winrad  F and Winrad HR, so it must be present in the original Winrad.  I can't test it now but I plan to do it soon.

      Well, I'm writing this in parts, so now I reinstalled Alberto's Winrad 1.32.021 and ran it at the same time as WRplus (it can be done with dual screen) and Alberto´s program is steady as a rock with the others wandering, so there is any change (may be it is intended, in the line of a full virtual rcv  ;-)     for the old diehards).
      CORRECTION: As I write this, Winrad 1.32.021 began to do the same trick !!!
      My setup for this test: I connect the SR40 input via a 40 dB attenuator to a PTS synthesizer exactly tuned to 7.070 MHz. The signal level is -40 dBm.  The console is tuned to 7.069 MHz, USB and I look to the audio SA window centered on 1000 Hz and a RBW of 0.7 Hz.
      There is not wander in the RF SA window, there the signal is stable.  The audio wandering is not synchronous between receivers, so this discards any H/W LO problem.
      I have lot of pictures but since they are big I can send some directly to Sandro or anybody that thinks it can be useful.

      Now my wishes:

      1.- I agree that the skew adjustment range should be increased, it is small for my SR40.
      2.  If the program could remember the screen position where it wash shut down it could be used with advantage on dual screens.

      73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

      El 26/09/2010 10:04, pe0fko wrote:

      Yes Alan, this is it.
      Zooming in the freq will show it much more.

      --
      73, Fred
      PE0FKO

      [Attachment(s) from Alan included below]