Re: [softrock40] Re: Rocky not tuning the Si750

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
      Congrats, Dave!  Lot's of territory to cover, it sounds like, but you sound up to the challenge. Happy tuning...

      bet
      -------------

      On 9/1/2010 3:58 PM, Dave wrote:

      OK..

      Rocky now using the Si570 just find, as Bruce eluded to, it needs an "Address" of 85(decimal) that is equivalent to 55(hex) that CFGSDR uses.

      I've also added some extra LO frequencies to Rocky's list.

      However....
      The USB soundcard I have (Soundlaster) doesnt work with Rocky, either for signal input, or audio output, but there again, it's only known as a generic soundcard in W2k. I'll try it all on XP sometime, where it's own drivers do work.

      The on board soundcard on this PC is "somewhat lacking" to say the least. The single biggest problem, is leakage of the recovered audio, back into the Line Input, resulting in some interesting noises at times (at great volume too!) Yes, I've explored all the mixer settings, and disabled all the "stereo mix" features etc.

      Next stage, to figure out, which side to put the LO, for the 60m beacons, with Rocky I can play now, then order the correct crystal for the rockbound SR Lite II, releasig the V9 for other duties.

      In the mean time, I need to sort out a decent sound card to get the noise down, and gain up! Also, get the thing in a screned box, with the audio (IF) lead decoupled to RF. At the moment, I've got all sorts of odd signals with no sideband rejection, that appear to be coupled in back down the "IF" lead, or into the souncard that has poor filtering so alias problems. "SigmaTelAudio" on an industrial motherboard.

      However, we're off up and running now. Thanks All.

      73.

      Dave G0WBX.

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5416 (20100901) __________

      http://www.eset.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
        From: "Dave"
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky not tuning the Si750

        > The on board soundcard on this PC is "somewhat lacking" to say the least.
        > The single biggest problem, is leakage of the recovered audio, back into
        > the Line Input, resulting in some interesting noises at times (at great
        > volume too!) Yes, I've explored all the mixer settings, and disabled all
        > the "stereo mix" features etc.

        I find it difficult to believe it is really that bad!

        > Next stage, to figure out, which side to put the LO, for the 60m beacons,
        > with Rocky I can play now, then order the correct crystal for the
        > rockbound SR Lite II, releasig the V9 for other duties.

        I presume you are using the G3PLX software? It uses 8Khz sampling so it will
        need to be 5.290 +/- about 1.5KHz. Either side is possible but high avoids
        QRMing the WSPR frequencies.

        > In the mean time, I need to sort out a decent sound card to get the noise
        > down, and gain up! Also, get the thing in a screned box, with the audio
        > (IF) lead decoupled to RF. At the moment, I've got all sorts of odd
        > signals with no sideband rejection,

        Is it stereo? You will get no rejection if it is not. I would have thought
        the USB Creative would have worked, what is it? A SB24 Live? There should be
        a W2000 driver.