V9.0 is finished

  • flyboy_ont
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi all

      I finally finished my V9.0 but have yet to test it on Rocky.

      In the meantime I have a few questions. First off I've been out of electronics/amateur radio for about 20 years. So I have a lot of catching up to do. This V9.0 is the first thing I've built since then and the build was fun (except winding toroids).

      What are people using for cases? Metal or plastic/ABS? I would assume metal would be better to help keep out the outside 'forces'.

      I was planning on using a wall adaptor for power (using a 9v battery while building) but from what I've been reading here, it may introduce a lot of noise.

      There has been some talk about isolation transformers and isolated connectors. Are any of these two something I have to loook into?

      And lastly I have to figure what I need for an antenna. I am pretty limited on the size so would appreciate some ideas.

      Really enjoy the reads in this group and looking forward to another kit.

      73's

      Ken
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
        From: "flyboy_ont"
        Subject: [softrock40] V9.0 is finished

        > What are people using for cases? Metal or plastic/ABS? I would assume
        > metal would be better to help keep out the outside 'forces'.

        That's my view. I just use copper PCB material soldered together but most on
        this group look for something smart.

        > I was planning on using a wall adaptor for power (using a 9v battery while
        > building) but from what I've been reading here, it may introduce a lot of
        > noise.
        > There has been some talk about isolation transformers and isolated
        > connectors. Are any of these two something I have to loook into?

        I'd say one or the other. If you use isolated connectors it is because you
        are trying to avoid making ground loops. In my opinion you only need
        transformers if you do not avoid ground loops.
        Yes, along with this the PSU needs to be considered. A good isolated linear
        regulated wall adapter should be OK but many do favour a battery.

        > And lastly I have to figure what I need for an antenna.

        Don't we all! The bigger the better but short loaded antennas often do well.
        It really depends what is possible.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • flyboy_ont
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
          I was planning on listening on 80 and 40 (possibly 20) for now. A long wire is definetly out of the question. I might be able to get away with a loaded dipole or vertical. Guess I'll have to do some surfing for ideas. What about an active antenna?

        • aa9wqham@aol.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
              I decided a few months back I needed to get back into this. Started looking for a simpleand inexpensive kit not knowing SDR existed. Tripped upon Tony's site and next thing you know I ordered one. Tell you it felt good working on the kit. Radio Shack here is nothing like it used to be when it first open here (VE3 land and all Canada). It's now called The Source.