Re:Another reason to stay at 96KHz...

  • Marciniak, Ed
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      96KHz is really optimum for a couple reasons provided you have enough CPU.

      There are 96KHz ADC chips that have the same power spectral density as the 48KHz sample rate ADCs (no performance penalty). Given a wise choice in ADC sidesteps the performance penalty, there isn't a really good reason to accept half the bandwidth.

      The sample clocks for 48 KHz and 192 KHZ have dc offsets as a result of leakage of 12MHz signals from USB interfaces or coupled emi inside the computer case. At 96KHz the alias is at a zero in the response. If the 12.288 or multiple thereof clock was synchronous with the 12MHz source, you could simply subtract the stable DC offset. Reality is that the clock will not generally be stable or synchronous. Digital high pass filters require delay unless they are a dc offset subtraction.

      Standard SPDIF interfaces on pc and mac hardware support at least 2 channels at 96khz so in theory one could optically couple a radio to eliminate need for isolation since the usb or i2c can be isolated.

      I see fiber to the box at a tower top in my future....