Another reason to stay at 92KHz...

  • Yannick (XV4TUJ)
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 12:46 AM
      Hi.

      Perhaps this is not new for many people here but some other could find this interesting.
      We already know that soundcard performance (let say added noise) are better at 48KHz or 92KHz.
      Given that processor power is cheap now, the CPU is generally not a limiting factor...
      Except that for a given software, applying filters to signal in 192KHz bandwidth is not without a cost.
      I realized this re-reading the ARRL Handbook about DSP technics.
      Here a good article from FLex Radio :
      http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50437.aspx

      For a known CPU and a known buffer size (4096, the maximum in PowerSDR), a filter will be sharper at a reduced sample rate.
      So unless you don't need to have a 192KHz bandscope, stay at 48KHx, all in all it is better.

      73,
      Yan.
      ---
      Yannick DEVOS - XV4TUJ