Re: Advice needed with Ensemble RXTX

  • Yannick
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi everybody.

      I will just jump into this thread to share my experience with PSDR.

      I had my Ensemble RXTX working great with DSP Radio on OS X and Rocky on XP. The I/Q signal paths were crossed on my SoftRock PCB.
      Last week-end I decided to try PowerSDR because it has CAT control, usefull for WSPR or fldigi setting the frequency and switching on transmit.

      I have been battling through two problems :
      - bad image rejection and difficult Si570 frequency calibration,
      - Signals in PowerSDR seem saturated but sometime just tuning 10KHz away everything is normal...
      No such behavior in other softwares. I tried to use the Mic input and then the line-in input on the PC (Compaq Presario CQ3016L with Realtek onboard audio) but they act exactly the same. Reducing the soundcard input gain to the minimum make it works but sometime it is saturated again. All signal processing by the soundcard are turned off. Why Rocky on the same computer works ok then ?

      Finally I found out that my computer audio channels were reversed! It seems a hardware problem and no way to change it. I had to rewire the SoftRock PCB "straight" to get it work with PowerSDR.
      About the signal being saturated, no improvement but playing with the "Preamp" setting allows me to have a better behavior.
      I also encountered some parameters in AF gain and AGC to play with. But no time to check it now...
      http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50153.aspx

      73,
      Yan.
      ---
      Yannick DEVOS - XV4TUJ
      http://capheda.wordpress.com/ (Blog in french)
      http://www.qsl.net/xv4tuj/ (web page in english)

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
        From: "Yannick"
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Advice needed with Ensemble RXTX

        > I have been battling through two problems :
        > - bad image rejection

        What version of PSDR?

        >and difficult Si570 frequency calibration,

        You should not need to calibrate the Si570 once it has been done with CFGSR.
        <http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/CFGSR/> Leave the software calibration
        at default.

        > - Signals in PowerSDR seem saturated but sometime just tuning 10KHz away
        > everything is normal...
        > No such behavior in other softwares. I tried to use the Mic input

        I do not understand what you mean "saturated". Do not use the mic input.
        Stereo line input must be used, gain is usually kept high.

        > Finally I found out that my computer audio channels were reversed! It
        > seems a hardware problem and no way to change it. I had to rewire the
        > SoftRock PCB "straight" to get it work with PowerSDR.

        This is the reccommended way, PSDR is different often with no swap option.

        > About the signal being saturated, no improvement but playing with the
        > "Preamp" setting allows me to have a better behavior.
        > I also encountered some parameters in AF gain and AGC to play with.

        It is best to leave most of the PSDR adjustments alone until you have read
        the manual. Some do nothing anyway.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Yannick
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
          Hi Alan,

          Thanks for your answer.
          My comments are below.

          > > I have been battling through two problems :
          > > - bad image rejection
          >
          > What version of PSDR?
          Both 1.12 and 1.19 (beta) show the same behavior.

          > >and difficult Si570 frequency calibration,
          >
          > You should not need to calibrate the Si570 once it has been done with CFGSR.
          > <http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/CFGSR/> Leave the software calibration
          > at default.
          I do my calibration in CFGSR, but I need PowerSDR to "read" the signal. With I/Q signals reversed, the correction I was applying was sometime in the wrong way...

          > > - Signals in PowerSDR seem saturated but sometime just tuning 10KHz away
          > > everything is normal...
          > > No such behavior in other softwares. I tried to use the Mic input
          >
          > I do not understand what you mean "saturated". Do not use the mic input.
          > Stereo line input must be used, gain is usually kept high.
          With both line-in and mic-in I have to keep the "record gain" at the minimum, perhaps 2 "steps" above 0.
          By "saturated" I mean that the waterfall is all yellowish, the s-meter at S9+ even on a quiet 17m band (S1 noise with the FT-100 on same antenna), and no way to receive signals even when I now they are there. Then I tune the LO 10KHz lower and all the signals appear at their right place, like if the "noise floor" as suddenly gone 50dB lower...
          With Rocky or DSP Radio I have not observed this behavior so I think my SoftRock is ok and the soundcard too.

          > > About the signal being saturated, no improvement but playing with the
          > > "Preamp" setting allows me to have a better behavior.
          > > I also encountered some parameters in AF gain and AGC to play with.
          >
          > It is best to leave most of the PSDR adjustments alone until you have read
          > the manual. Some do nothing anyway.
          Ok, thanks.
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
            From: "Yannick" <

            >> > - bad image rejection
            >> What version of PSDR?
            > Both 1.12 and 1.19 (beta) show the same behavior.

            Both have auto image rejection for RX. Bob, G8VOI recently posted
            instructions for 1.12 he knows the software better than I do.

            >> >and difficult Si570 frequency calibration,
            > I do my calibration in CFGSR, but I need PowerSDR to "read" the signal.
            > With I/Q signals reversed, the correction I was applying was sometime in
            > the wrong way...

            If the I/Q is reversed the tuning is as well. It will only be correct if I/Q
            is correct.

            >> > - Signals in PowerSDR seem saturated but sometime just tuning 10KHz
            >> > away
            >> > everything is normal...
            >> Stereo line input must be used, gain is usually kept high.
            > With both line-in and mic-in I have to keep the "record gain" at the
            > minimum, perhaps 2 "steps" above 0.
            > By "saturated" I mean that the waterfall is all yellowish, the s-meter at
            > S9+ even on a quiet 17m band (S1 noise with the FT-100 on same antenna),
            > and no way to receive signals even when I now they are there. Then I tune
            > the LO 10KHz lower and all the signals appear at their right place, like
            > if the "noise floor" as suddenly gone 50dB lower...

            I do not know, maybe you have made a bad adjustment.
            Was it always like that? You can revert to default by deleting the data
            file.
            "You have to find and delete the database.xml settings file which it does
            not reside in the installation folder. The database.xml file resides for XP
            in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\FlexRadio
            Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3 and for Vista in C:\Users\<user
            name>\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3" Christos Earlier
            versions of PSDR put the database file in the Program folder, Genesis
            database.xml, others use a different format PowerSDR.mdb.
            It is possible to save and select these files to use different
            configurations, or restore operation if it gets corrupted.

            PDSR has always worked for me with all the gain settings as default and with
            the record settings high. I even have to increase the waterfall sensitivity.
            The manual gives instructions how to setup correctly.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • David Garnier
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
              Hello,

              I have spent the last couple nights troubleshooting and
              now I'm looking for some advice.

              SDR S/W is SV1EIA's PowerSDR Rev 1.19.3.15

              1) How do I create multiple radio profiles in PowerSDR? Is it as
              simple as backing up the PowerSDR database to a specific name
              and creating a new database? For example, one profile for
              SoftRock 40, 6.1 RxTX, or Ensemble this! ;-)

              2) When I initially tested the Ensembles USB section (with DG8SAQ's
              USB synthesizer utility) the Si570 was couple KHz off frequency.
              How weird is that for a new chip?! When I attempted to zero this
              "initial offset" out, it appears *something* is repeatable resetting
              or erasing my newly stored Si570 oscillator cal factor at further
              power-ups. I'm to wonder is something is whacked.

              3) Addtionally, PowerSDR appears to be adding a couple KHz offset
              to my Si570 LO.

              Meanwhile, as a baseline, my old SoftRock 40 + QRP2000 Si570 USB board
              works FB under this same PowerSDR package.

              4) Sensitivity of my Ensemble appears to be less than my old SoftRock 40.
              Maybe it's as simple as running PowerSDR calibration routine, but I
              cannot because the LO isn't falling within a predetermined window.

              Thanks for any input.

              Dave Garnier - wb9own
            • Yannick
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
                Hi Alan,

                > Both have auto image rejection for RX. Bob, G8VOI recently posted
                > instructions for 1.12 he knows the software better than I do.
                With I/Q signals the right way image rejection is ok now, I just told about that as a reminder to understand my problem.
                What I also wanted to emphasis is "don't always trust your sound card". Mine as left/right channels reverted.

                > I do not know, maybe you have made a bad adjustment.
                > Was it always like that? You can revert to default by deleting the data
                > file.
                > "You have to find and delete the database.xml settings file which it does
                > not reside in the installation folder. The database.xml file resides for XP
                > in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\FlexRadio
                > Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3 and for Vista in C:\Users\<user
                > name>\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3" Christos Earlier
                > versions of PSDR put the database file in the Program folder, Genesis
                > database.xml, others use a different format PowerSDR.mdb.
                > It is possible to save and select these files to use different
                > configurations, or restore operation if it gets corrupted.
                >
                > PDSR has always worked for me with all the gain settings as default and with
                > the record settings high. I even have to increase the waterfall sensitivity.
                > The manual gives instructions how to setup correctly.

                I will try this. Having the I/Q signals the wrong way must have brought a lot of incoherent data to the database.

                Thanks for your help.
                73,
                Yan.
              • Joseph Teichman
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
                  I also am just getting started with a Ensemble RXTX and I had similar experiences.
                  I built mine with the I/Q jumpers crossed, as suggested in the build instructions (actually, I put in posts and wire-wrapped them so that it would be easy to swap should it be necessary). This was supposed to be necessary for using PSDR. However, I found that I had to switch the I/Q lines to the straight configuration in order for it to work with PSDR.
                  BTW, I am using a Creative XFi 5.1 USB soundcard.
                  In order to make swapping I/Q lines easy (even easier than the wire-wrapping suggestion), I purchased  a stero mini to Female RCA cable and a stereo mini to male RCA and connected them together. This way, I could swap the left and right channels in a moment.

                  Also, I found that in PSDR, I had to  drop the "Line In Gain" (I turned it down to '1' - I think that 0 gave me some kind of problem at the time) in the Audio/Primary configuration window to have image rejection.

                  One thing that I am confused about with PSDR is how to set up transmit. The Audio/Primary window seems to be used for setting up receive, where you specify the the input as the soundcard that gets the receive I/Q and the output line to where the audible output is sent to. Do you set it up transmit in the VAC window? Do I then have to check the Direct I/Q/Output to VAC box?

                  On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Yannick <yannick.devos@...> wrote:

                  Hi Alan,

                  > Both have auto image rejection for RX. Bob, G8VOI recently posted
                  > instructions for 1.12 he knows the software better than I do.
                  With I/Q signals the right way image rejection is ok now, I just told about that as a reminder to understand my problem.
                  What I also wanted to emphasis is "don't always trust your sound card". Mine as left/right channels reverted.

                  > I do not know, maybe you have made a bad adjustment.
                  > Was it always like that? You can revert to default by deleting the data
                  > file.
                  > "You have to find and delete the database.xml settings file which it does
                  > not reside in the installation folder. The database.xml file resides for XP
                  > in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\FlexRadio
                  > Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3 and for Vista in C:\Users\<user
                  > name>\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3" Christos Earlier
                  > versions of PSDR put the database file in the Program folder, Genesis
                  > database.xml, others use a different format PowerSDR.mdb.
                  > It is possible to save and select these files to use different
                  > configurations, or restore operation if it gets corrupted.
                  >
                  > PDSR has always worked for me with all the gain settings as default and with
                  > the record settings high. I even have to increase the waterfall sensitivity.
                  > The manual gives instructions how to setup correctly.

                  I will try this. Having the I/Q signals the wrong way must have brought a lot of incoherent data to the database.

                  Thanks for your help.
                  73,
                  Yan.

                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
                    Hi David,

                    I have not tried having multiple versions of the database, I suspect it might be possible, but it would be easy to get things mixed up continuously swapping over. I must admit I have mine set up for my primary SDR transceiver and use that for all. If you calibrate the Si570 properly using the firmware features you can swap between multiple devices.

                    The is nothing 'funny' about there being minor frequency differences between different Si570 devices. If you purchased two crystals you would not expect them to be identical. If you take a look at the data sheet for the Si570, you will see the frequency source is a variable oscillator in the mid GHz region/ Producing that on such a small piece of silicon will invariably produce a spread of tolerances. That's exactly why the calibration feature is provided in the firmware. Unless you follow the correct procedure and only use the firmware calibration, you will end up chasing your tail if you set anything in the SDR program itself. The procedure is detailed in the 'Firmware User Guide' and has been discussed on this forum numerous times.

                    PowerSDR uses a 'pseudo' IF in order to offset the tuning point away from the centre frequency noise. Different frequencies can be set up, in Christos SV1EIA's versions the default is 9kHz, so that will probably be the offset you are seeing.

                    Are you actually measuring the sensitivity using a calibrated input signal source or just looking at the noise floor relative to the scaling? The different SoftRock designs do have different overall gains, so it would be necessary to calibrate the amplitude within PSDR for both to make any comparison.

                    Sensitivity for most of the SoftRock SDR designs are very similar.

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Garnier <dgarnier@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I have spent the last couple nights troubleshooting and
                    > now I'm looking for some advice.
                    >
                    > SDR S/W is SV1EIA's PowerSDR Rev 1.19.3.15
                    >
                    > 1) How do I create multiple radio profiles in PowerSDR? Is it as
                    > simple as backing up the PowerSDR database to a specific name
                    > and creating a new database? For example, one profile for
                    > SoftRock 40, 6.1 RxTX, or Ensemble this! ;-)
                    >
                    > 2) When I initially tested the Ensembles USB section (with DG8SAQ's
                    > USB synthesizer utility) the Si570 was couple KHz off frequency.
                    > How weird is that for a new chip?! When I attempted to zero this
                    > "initial offset" out, it appears *something* is repeatable resetting
                    > or erasing my newly stored Si570 oscillator cal factor at further
                    > power-ups. I'm to wonder is something is whacked.
                    >
                    > 3) Addtionally, PowerSDR appears to be adding a couple KHz offset
                    > to my Si570 LO.
                    >
                    > Meanwhile, as a baseline, my old SoftRock 40 + QRP2000 Si570 USB board
                    > works FB under this same PowerSDR package.
                    >
                    > 4) Sensitivity of my Ensemble appears to be less than my old SoftRock 40.
                    > Maybe it's as simple as running PowerSDR calibration routine, but I
                    > cannot because the LO isn't falling within a predetermined window.
                    >
                    > Thanks for any input.
                    >
                    > Dave Garnier - wb9own

                  • g8voip
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 1, 2010
                      Hi Joe,

                      It does seem that USB sound device does have a hardware error with the left and right channels being swapped, now seen similar comments from 3 different sources.

                      That makes life fun trying to provide advice!

                      The simplest way to determine if the I/Q signals are the right way around is just to go to a band and tune a couple of SSB signals and ensure they appear as the correct upper or lower sideband as expected. I say tune to several signals as I once managed to tune to the one and only signal on the band where the person was actually using the opposite sideband to convention :)

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                        From: "David Garnier"

                        > SDR S/W is SV1EIA's PowerSDR Rev 1.19.3.15
                        >
                        > 1) How do I create multiple radio profiles in PowerSDR? Is it as
                        > simple as backing up the PowerSDR database to a specific name
                        > and creating a new database? For example, one profile for
                        > SoftRock 40, 6.1 RxTX, or Ensemble this! ;-)

                        Yes, once you have a working system you can copy and rename the file. It can
                        then be selected as required. (Import DB..)
                        If you then make any changes I do not think it alters that changed file. I
                        think if you need to save any further changes you have to save, and again,
                        rename the current database (which will have the default name).

                        >Additionally, PowerSDR appears to be adding a couple KHz offset
                        to my Si570 LO.

                        Make sure you have made no adjustment in PSDR. The Si570 calibration should
                        be left as default. The correction is made in the USB AVR. (Setup with
                        CFGSR)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                          From: "Joseph Teichman

                          >One thing that I am confused about with PSDR is how to set up transmit. The
                          Audio/Primary window

                          This sets up the interface to the Softrock. I/Q in/out.
                          The VAC tab sets up the interface to you. That is what you hear and the mic
                          input.

                          >Do I then have to check the Direct I/Q/Output to
                          VAC box?

                          I do not think so.
                          I admit I did most of my setup by experimenting until it did what I wanted.
                          If you make a mistake deleting the database will set you back to the
                          beginning.
                          There is a lot of information around but not easy to find. One source is
                          <http://powersdr-sr40.sourceforge.net/> some of this may help.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • Yannick
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                            Hi.

                            I deleted the databases in both version and now it is working perfectly!
                            Thanks for the advice!

                            I was also having the feeling (now confirmed) that PowerSDR was getting longer and longer to react to a frequency change, sometime half a second for a few hundred hertz.
                            Now I guess that the database was polluted with a lot of bad data and the software was trying to load and to apply a lot of corrections to the signals...

                            About the soundcard with reversed left/right, mine is an onboard Realtek HD. The computer is a Compaq Presario CQ3016L. Not a bad horse for a fair price. His main usage is for the accountant, but since she seems decided to not to work at night, I can use for radio!

                            73,
                            Yan - XV4TUJ.

> [...]
                            > > SoftRock 40, 6.1 RxTX, or Ensemble this! ;-)
                            > >
                            > > 2) When I initially tested the Ensembles USB section (with DG8SAQ's
                            > > USB synthesizer utility) the Si570 was couple KHz off frequency.
                            > > How weird is that for a new chip?! When I attempted to zero this
                            > > "initial offset" out, it appears *something* is repeatable resetting
                            > > or erasing my newly stored Si570 oscillator cal factor at further
                            > > power-ups. I'm to wonder is something is whacked.
                            > >
                            > > 3) Addtionally, PowerSDR appears to be adding a couple KHz offset
                            > > to my Si570 LO.
                            > >
                            > > Meanwhile, as a baseline, my old SoftRock 40 + QRP2000 Si570 USB board
                            > > works FB under this same PowerSDR package.
                            > >
                            > > 4) Sensitivity of my Ensemble appears to be less than my old SoftRock 40.
                            > > Maybe it's as simple as running PowerSDR calibration routine, but I
                            > > cannot because the LO isn't falling within a predetermined window.

                          • w7qjq
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010

                              [snip]
                              > The is nothing 'funny' about there being minor frequency differences between different Si570 devices. If you purchased two crystals you would not expect them to be identical. If you take a look at the data sheet for the Si570, you will see the frequency source is a variable oscillator in the mid GHz region/ Producing that on such a small piece of silicon will invariably produce a spread of tolerances. That's exactly why the calibration feature is provided in the firmware.
                              >
                              > 73, Bob G8VOI

                              Minor correction needed here...it is not the variations in the GHz VCO that cause each Si570 to require calibration but rather the variations in the (approx)114 MHz internal reference xtal oscillator. The GHz VCO is operating in a closed loop (PLL). The Si570 frequency accuracy and drift (with time and temperature) is entirely determined by the stability of the reference xtal.

                              73, Sid W7QJQ
                              Oklahoma
                            • g8voip
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 2, 2010
                                Hi Sid,

                                Thanks for that correction, that slipped my mind.

                                Well, it was early in the morning here and I had only just got out of bed. I just have a few minutes to try and answer a few emails and questions before setting off for work, so not really thinking too much at the time, that's my excuse, and I am sticking to it :)

                                73, Bob G8VOI

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7qjq" <sbjknox@...> wrote:

                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > [snip]
                                > > The is nothing 'funny' about there being minor frequency differences between different Si570 devices. If you purchased two crystals you would not expect them to be identical. If you take a look at the data sheet for the Si570, you will see the frequency source is a variable oscillator in the mid GHz region/ Producing that on such a small piece of silicon will invariably produce a spread of tolerances. That's exactly why the calibration feature is provided in the firmware.
                                > >
                                > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                                >
                                > Minor correction needed here...it is not the variations in the GHz VCO that cause each Si570 to require calibration but rather the variations in the (approx)114 MHz internal reference xtal oscillator. The GHz VCO is operating in a closed loop (PLL). The Si570 frequency accuracy and drift (with time and temperature) is entirely determined by the stability of the reference xtal.
                                >
                                > 73, Sid W7QJQ
                                > Oklahoma

                              • g8vdq.io91um
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 26, 2010
                                  Hi Everyone
                                  A bit late but here goes.
                                  Wish i had come across this thread earlier had the same problem
                                  The Ensemble II RX i just built it was unable to work correctly especial in wspr using PSDR any version i tried i would calibrate the sl-570 but nothing received i was playing around for 3 days, then i ran wspr 2 and wsjt7 just to get the waterfall fed by my FT-450 on my laptop.
                                  on my second computer i ran PowerSDR 1.19.3.15 and wspr 2 wsjt7.
                                  noticed the receive pattern was reversed on both computers
                                  Quickly fitted a dpdt switch into sdr box 5 min later receiving wspr.
                                  Still cant believe the Ensemble II is every bit as good as the FT-450.
                                  Haven looked back.

                                  Thanks guys have to keep reading the posts.

                                  73, Chris G8VDQ