two sound cards?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
      Waiting for new batch of Ensemble II RXTX to be available. Looking over the online docs, It seems to show only one card is needed to do transceive. Computer mother board here is an Intel mini-ITX with on board Realtek HD audio. So far it works fine with Lite II and RX II, using Rocky 3.6. Will I need another audio card for the RXTX? This forum says a lot about needing or wanting 2 cards. Todays world, Need and Want tend to get mixed up! What do I need?
      Don
    • Mike D'Antignac AE6JL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
        Don wrote:

        > Waiting for new batch of Ensemble II RXTX to be available. Looking
        > over the online docs, It seems to show only one card is needed to do
        > transceive. Computer mother board here is an Intel mini-ITX with on
        > board Realtek HD audio. So far it works fine with Lite II and RX II,
        > using Rocky 3.6. Will I need another audio card for the RXTX? This
        > forum says a lot about needing or wanting 2 cards. Todays world, Need
        > and Want tend to get mixed up! What do I need?
        > Don

        You need a line-in, a line-out for the RXTX I/Q connections and a
        speaker/out-line-out for receive sound. If you'll use SSB you'll need an
        additional line-in or mic in. The on-board Realtek usually will give you
        speaker/line-out and Mic/line-in. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with
        Realtek audio and I only have speaker out and mic in so I needed a
        additional sound card. The on-board audio is used for speaker and mic
        and a Sound Blaster Live 24 is used for I/Q line-n and line-out
        connections. Sound Blaster Audigy and Live 24 cards are quite reasonable
        on eBay.

        73
        Mike AE6JL
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
          From: "Don"
          Subject: [softrock40] two sound cards?

          > Waiting for new batch of Ensemble II RXTX to be available. Looking over
          > the online docs, It seems to show only one card is needed to do
          > transceive. Computer mother board here is an Intel mini-ITX with on board
          > Realtek HD audio. So far it works fine with Lite II and RX II, using Rocky
          > 3.6. Will I need another audio card for the RXTX? This forum says a lot
          > about needing or wanting 2 cards. Todays world, Need and Want tend to get
          > mixed up! What do I need?

          Someone recently posted about his use of a particular sound system that
          could RX and TX SSB with just one sound system.
          This is unusual but may become more common with modern on-board sound.
          For digital/data work one card may be used if you do not need to hear the RX
          audio.
          To RX/TX voice or CW two cards are normally required.
          For best versatility I think you would want two cards. There are ways of
          using just one but are little used and probably more difficult and
          restrictive.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Don
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
            Thanks Alan and Mike. You both gave me the benefits of your experience. I think I got exposed to the many posts about soundcards, ie this is good, this one is not so good. I know I have a lot to learn. A lot of people have had 5 years of SDR under their belt. So, I appreciate your help in pointing basic facts. I understand a bit more now.
            Don