Problems connecting CW Paddles using LPT interface

  • Kirk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
      I have been attempting to hook up a CW paddle to my UHFSDR/PowerSDR 1.12.20 configuration using a printer port and have run into problems. I am using the USB to I2C to control the SI570 and that is working fine. I built a parallel cable with pins 11,13, and 25(GND) to go to the paddles. In voice modes grounding pin 11 enables TX mode as expected. In CW modes, a constant stream of dots are transmitted as soon as the printer port is enabled in Powersdr. Do pins 11 and 13 need to be pulled high and what is a good source? Is any other interface circuitry required? What if any configuration is required in powersdr?

      Kirk
    • sv1eia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        Hi Kirk,

        First check to see if you can have straight/plain key CW connected only to pin11

        Setup->DSP->Keyer->Iambic (uncheck)
        close application entirely, then open again and check your straight key if it works ok by grounding it.

        Then, check the iambic checkbox again, close application and restart it.

        Now this time, you need to pay attention that pin13 is active high ! according to the .pdf document
        (in http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list LPT connections.pdf)
        and not low like the dot(pin11)
        the problem is that due to LPT issues Dot is 'active' low and Dash is 'active' high, yep its a bit strange but that is it.. :-)

        So, for no-key-situation in paddles, pin11 is high AND pin13 is low.
        Dot: pin11 is low AND pin13 is low.
        Dash: pin11 is high AND pin13 is high.
        Carrier: pin11 is low AND pin13 is high.

        Yes its cumbersome but no one until now bothered to use it (and complain about it) so I left it that way. In the next release it will be a bit better :-)

        I hope this solves your problem and makes things more clear.
        73,
        Christos SV1EIA
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <n4kwo@...> wrote:

        > I have been attempting to hook up a CW paddle to my UHFSDR/PowerSDR 1.12.20 configuration using a printer port and have run into problems. I am using the USB to I2C to control the SI570 and that is working fine. I built a parallel cable with pins 11,13, and 25(GND) to go to the paddles. In voice modes grounding pin 11 enables TX mode as expected. In CW modes, a constant stream of dots are transmitted as soon as the printer port is enabled in Powersdr. Do pins 11 and 13 need to be pulled high and what is a good source? Is any other interface circuitry required? What if any configuration is required in powersdr?
        >
        > Kirk

      • Kirk Maskalenko
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
          Hi Christos,

          From reading various materials (mostly old threads) I got the impression that the LPT port was the best way to do CW with PowerSDR until your newer preview version came out. Is there a better way to interface paddles or a straight key to PowerSDR 1.12.20?
          I followed your directions below and it worked slightly differently. After disabling IAMBIC option,  I had to ground the DASH pin and then could use the DOT key as a straight key. Thats works for me.

          Kirk

          First check to see if you can have straight/plain key CW connected only to pin11

          Setup->DSP->Keyer->Iambic (uncheck)
          close application entirely, then open again and check your straight key if it works ok by grounding it.

          Then, check the iambic checkbox again, close application and restart it.

          Now this time, you need to pay attention that pin13 is active high ! according to the .pdf document
          (in http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list LPT connections.pdf)
          and not low like the dot(pin11)
          the problem is that due to LPT issues Dot is 'active' low and Dash is 'active' high, yep its a bit strange but that is it.. :-)

          So, for no-key-situation in paddles, pin11 is high AND pin13 is low.
          Dot: pin11 is low AND pin13 is low.
          Dash: pin11 is high AND pin13 is high.
          Carrier: pin11 is low AND pin13 is high.

          Yes its cumbersome but no one until now bothered to use it (and complain about it) so I left it that way. In the next release it will be a bit better :-)

          I hope this solves your problem and makes things more clear.
          73,
          Christos SV1EIA
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <n4kwo@...> wrote:

          > I have been attempting to hook up a CW paddle to my UHFSDR/PowerSDR 1.12.20 configuration using a printer port and have run into problems. I am using the USB to I2C to control the SI570 and that is working fine. I built a parallel cable with pins 11,13, and 25(GND) to go to the paddles. In voice modes grounding pin 11 enables TX mode as expected. In CW modes, a constant stream of dots are transmitted as soon as the printer port is enabled in Powersdr. Do pins 11 and 13 need to be pulled high and what is a good source? Is any other interface circuitry required? What if any configuration is required in powersdr?
          >
          > Kirk

        • sv1eia
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
            Kirk,

            If it works for you with straight key and you're happy with it I guess its ok.

            If you want paddles, you need to understand that pin13 has to be grounded in order not to send anything and high in order to send. That is the reverse behaviour than what pin11 has.

            I know its not the best of ways but nobody complained (until now) about it so it got no attention.. :-)

            73,
            Christos SV1EIA