Re: Remote Mount Connectors

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
      It's a switched type, so voltage isn't a concern (although I'll still verify it of course - No magic smoke releases allowed!). We'll see about RFI though. It's a cheap part, and I can pick up a compatible battery compartment from them too, if it comes to that, so I can switch to NiMH batteries. :)

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sdrcrazed" <ed@...> wrote:

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <utoxin@> wrote:
      > >
      > >... so a wall wart is probably what it will be for the time being.
      > >

      > Hi Matthew,
      >
      > If you DO use a transformer type AC adapter, be sure to measure the
      > output. An AC adapter marked 12 volts virtually always produces higher
      > voltages that can be as high as 16 volts.
      >
      > If you use a switcher type AC adapter, these are well regulated and the
      > labeled voltage is usually very close to actual output. The problem is
      > that the high speed switching used to produce the DC output radiates RFI
      > that's easily picked up by the receiver, but may not be so easily
      > filtered out.
      >
      > Ed KT6F
      > SDRbuzz.com <http://SDRbuzz.com>

    • sdrcrazed
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
        A really cheap source of AC adapters that I use almost weekly is Goodwill.  I walk in with my meter stuck in my back pocket and test the candidates for the voltages I want before buying.  You'll usually spend from $1.99 to $7.99 for a good AC adapter.  If you're over 55 years old, go on Wednesdays for a 10% senior discount.

        Ed KT6F
        SDRbuzz.com