I/Q balance with DSP Radio (OS X)

  • Yannick DEVOS
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi everyone.

      Well I am currently assembling a RXTX Ensemble kit.
      I have finished the stage 7 so I wanted to test the receiving capability.

      Computers I used here are under Mac OS X (Snow Leopard).
      I used DSP Radio software from Sebastian DL2SDR (nice callsign BTW).
      http://homepage.mac.com/smrozek/Sebastian_Mrozek/Download.html

      Si570 control is ok and basic receiving also.
      The only PC under Windows is the one of the accountant, but not easy to drag it close to the antenna...
      I was able to decode many signals CW, USB and for the first "see" the chinese OTH.
      It was my first experience with a SDR receiver and it was pleasant.

      My problem is that I have an image that I am unable to get rejected. It is perhaps 75% as strong as the main signal.
      I checked my SoftRock, the cables and it seems ok.
      I tried on an iMac (Core 2 Duo 2,4GHz) and a Dell Mini 9 (ATOM N260), both under OS X with 24 bits / 92KHz sound cards.
      I checked turning on and off, swapping, left and right channels and no signs of improvement.
      I tried to modify the "alpha" and "epsilon" parameters without success...

      I tried to run Rocky under VirtualBox. It is running ok but I think audio emulation adds some delay in the audio treatment and sample rate is limited to 48KHz (AC'97 specs).
      Phone USB decoding is a bit distorted...

      Does anyone has an idea ? Hidden OS parameters for "sound mixing" ?
      Is any other software that I can try ?
      Does Rocky works with Wine on OS X ?

      Thanks by advance for your help.
      73,