Re: RXTX Ensemble

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi Charlie,

      I assume you must be building the 30/20/17m version of the RXTX by the value of C26.

      As its part of the final low pass filter on the output of the TX, no 100pF would not do as it would change the filter characteristics and affect both TX and RX.

      Larry's suggestion of a 47pF in parallel would work, probably could solder it onto the underside of the PCB.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, aa9wqham@... wrote:

      > I would say know, but if you have a 47pf cap you can parallel with it that
      > would be fine.
      >
      > Larry
      >

      > In a message dated 6/30/2010 8:26:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > cestampf@... writes:
      >

      > I'm missing a 150pf ceramic cap (C26) in the RF I/O Switching section of
      > the RXTX Ensemble project. I found a 100 pf in my junk box. Would this
      > substitute value be OK, or should I find a better replacement?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Charlie, W4FI

    • chips635
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 19, 2010
        I got my RXTX Ensemble 10 days ago, put it together in a couple of days

        and spent the last week trouble-shooting. I used WB5RVZ's instructions

        and everything went well until the last stage. U10, pins one and

        15 both have 5Volts on them, the RXTX Ensemble draws 27.63mA normally

        and 27.65mA when I short pin 4 of U4 to ground. The receive doesn't

        work although it did during the stage when we tested it. I'm old

        and couldn't remember how I wound the transformers so I rewound

        T2,3,4 and 5. I've built most of the SoftRock kits with no trouble,

        but this one's kicking my butt. I had a bunch of BS170s so I

        replaced Q9, 10, and 11 to no avail. What could be holding the PTT

        high. I've checked parts placement twice, Ohmed all the resistors

        before I installed them. The only thing that wasn't correct

        in the checks was the continuity check between c27 to c39 has

        continuity all the time, now that all the parts are in place

        but I'm sure it worked correctly during construction.

        Sorry for such a long post, but it looks like I won't be able

        to finish this one without help.

        Thanks, 73, Norm, k6uo
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 20, 2010
          From: "chips635"
          Subject: [softrock40] RXTX Ensemble

          >the RXTX Ensemble draws 27.63mA normally
          > and 27.65mA when I short pin 4 of U4 to ground.

          For a start the PTT is not working. What is the voltage at U4 pin 4? And
          the voltages around Q3? Both with U4 grounded and not.

          >The only thing that wasn't correct in the checks was the continuity check
          >between c27 to c39 has continuity all the time,

          (Only after sorting out Q3 PTT) This is correct for RX. If it does not
          switch on TX this will be due to a faulty Q10 or voltage at QSD EN.
          Is /PTT high? This makes QSD EN high.
          If it is then Q9 should pull U10, 1 & 15 low.

          > U10, pins one and
          > 15 both have 5Volts on them,

          But this is wrong for RX. Q9 should pull this low, what is QSD EN volts?

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          The receive doesn't

          > work although it did during the stage when we tested it. I'm old
          >
          > and couldn't remember how I wound the transformers so I rewound
          >
          > T2,3,4 and 5. I've built most of the SoftRock kits with no trouble,
          >
          > but this one's kicking my butt. I had a bunch of BS170s so I
          >
          > replaced Q9, 10, and 11 to no avail. What could be holding the PTT
          >
          > high. I've checked parts placement twice, Ohmed all the resistors
          >
          > before I installed them.
          now that all the parts are in place

          > but I'm sure it worked correctly during construction.
          >
          > Sorry for such a long post, but it looks like I won't be able
          >
          > to finish this one without help.
          >

          > Thanks, 73, Norm, k6uo

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 20, 2010
            Hi Norm,

            Have you remembered to disable the 'ABPF' funtion in the AVR firmware in order to re-assign the AVR controller pins and functions for TX operation, i.e. PTT and CW paddle / key. If you hav enot done that, the PTT line is in effect one of the BPF lines and will change state dependingon what frequency you select, might be permanently transmitting.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            > From: "chips635"
            > Subject: [softrock40] RXTX Ensemble
            >

            > >the RXTX Ensemble draws 27.63mA normally
            > > and 27.65mA when I short pin 4 of U4 to ground.
            >
            > For a start the PTT is not working. What is the voltage at U4 pin 4? And
            > the voltages around Q3? Both with U4 grounded and not.
            >
            > >The only thing that wasn't correct in the checks was the continuity check
            > >between c27 to c39 has continuity all the time,
            >
            > (Only after sorting out Q3 PTT) This is correct for RX. If it does not
            > switch on TX this will be due to a faulty Q10 or voltage at QSD EN.
            > Is /PTT high? This makes QSD EN high.
            > If it is then Q9 should pull U10, 1 & 15 low.
            >
            > > U10, pins one and
            > > 15 both have 5Volts on them,
            >
            > But this is wrong for RX. Q9 should pull this low, what is QSD EN volts?
            >
            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
            >

            > The receive doesn't
            > >
            > > work although it did during the stage when we tested it. I'm old
            > >
            > > and couldn't remember how I wound the transformers so I rewound
            > >
            > > T2,3,4 and 5. I've built most of the SoftRock kits with no trouble,
            > >
            > > but this one's kicking my butt. I had a bunch of BS170s so I
            > >
            > > replaced Q9, 10, and 11 to no avail. What could be holding the PTT
            > >
            > > high. I've checked parts placement twice, Ohmed all the resistors
            > >
            > > before I installed them.
            > now that all the parts are in place
            > >
            > > but I'm sure it worked correctly during construction.
            > >
            > > Sorry for such a long post, but it looks like I won't be able
            > >
            > > to finish this one without help.
            > >

            > > Thanks, 73, Norm, k6uo

          • Norm
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 20, 2010
              Thanks for your reply,

              The ABPF is off, pin 4 of U4  has 9.22V on it, 0V when grounded.  Q3's emitter has 12.1V , the base

              has 10.93V and the collector 2.3V.QSD EN has 2.95V measured c69.

              QSE clk 0,1 QSD clk 0,1 were all 7.04 mHz.  QSE at pin 5 of U5 was 2.49V and QSD at pin 6 of U5 was 2.95V.

              Pins 1 and 15 of U10 still have 5.04V on them.

              I hope from this you can help me figure where my problem is.

              Try IM ToolPack Try FREE IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
              Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
              through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace, LinkedIn® - FAST!
            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 20, 2010
                Hi,

                Your voltage measurements below are not consistent will the right components mounted in the right locations.

                For example:  your measurements have a base to emitter voltage of -1.17 volts which should be about -0.7 volts when Q3 is conducting.  Please make sure a 2N3906 transistor in mounted in the Q3 position.

                73,
                Tony Parks
                kb9yig@...
                http://www.kb9yig.com

                Try IM ToolPack Try FREE IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 20, 2010
                  Thanks Tony,

                  It is a 2n3906.  Something is pulling the PPT high and I’ll just have to figure out what.

                  Thanks again, 73, Norm, K6uo

                  Try IM ToolPack Try FREE IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                  Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
                  through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace, LinkedIn® - FAST!

                  Try IM ToolPack Publish your photos in seconds for FREE
                  Try IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                • alanzfq
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 21, 2010
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <nodette@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Tony,
                    >
                    > It is a 2n3906. Something is pulling the PPT high and I’ll just have to figure out what.

                    Please note Tony's remark. There is something wrong with Q3. The voltages are impossible for a good, correctly fitted part.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 21, 2010
                      From: "conditioner73"
                      Subject: Re: RXTX Ensemble

                      >seems I have a simular problem. Sw12v allways present on Q3 collector.
                      >allthough I have slightly different voltages I have 11.28 on the Emittor
                      >and 10.62 on the base so a difference of .66v but on the other side of R34
                      >I only have 5.62v.

                      This shows current is being drawn through this resistor. Seems to me a
                      faulty Q10 could cause this.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Norm
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 23, 2010
                        Hi,

                        I changed Q3 and now I have -.72V base to emitter but PTT is still high.  U 10, pins 1 and 15 are now 0V,
                        and ABPF is off.  Current draw is now 93mW , I still don't have any receive, I've changed Q9 and 11, and
                        really don't know where to look next.  If someone has time to give me a hand, I'd surely appreciate it.

                        Thanks, Norm, k6uo

                        Try IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 23, 2010
                          From: "Norm"
                          Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: RXTX Ensemble

                          >I changed Q3 and now I have -.72V base to emitter but PTT is still high.

                          What are the voltages on Q3 in RX mode? The base and emitter should be the
                          same voltage.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                            Hi Alan,

                            Thanks for your help.  I can't really get into receive mode, that's my problem.  "Something" is holding
                            the PTT high.  Q3 emitter is 12.40V, base is 6.99 and collector is 6.28V.  I assembled this according
                            to Robby's instructions and all the checks and voltages were correct.  I'm at a loss.

                            73, Norm

                            >I changed Q3 and now I have -.72V base to emitter but PTT is still high.

                            What are the voltages on Q3 in RX mode? The base and emitter should be the
                            same voltage.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ

                            >U 10, pins 1 and 15 are now 0V,
                            and ABPF is off. Current draw is now 93mW , I still don't have any receive,
                            I've changed Q9 and 11,

                            Try IM ToolPack Send any screenshot to your friends in seconds...
                            Try IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com for FREE
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                              From: "Norm"

                              >Thanks for your help. I can't really get into receive mode, that's my
                              >problem.

                              When I say RX mode, I mean that is what it should be! You are not applying
                              PTT.

                              >"Something" is holding
                              the PTT high. Q3 emitter is 12.40V, base is 6.99 and collector is 6.28V.

                              I expect the other end of R34 is less than 6V69, maybe Q10 is faulty, a
                              fairly common occurrence. You could remove it, or lift one end of R51 to
                              confirm that the Q3 voltages are then correct.
                              Ensure R50 is 22K1.
                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • Tony Parks
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                                Interesting that the base of your Q3 is about 0.7 volts above the collector voltage.  It seems likely that your Q3 is a 2N3904 instead of the 2N3906 required for Q3.

                                73,
                                Tony Parks
                                kb9yig@...
                                http://www.kb9yig.com

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                                  Tony was right, it was a 2N3904.  I had my 13 year old grandson look at it under my magnifier
                                  and he thought it was a 2n3906 so I don't feel so bad. Now it goes into transmit and receive
                                  modes but  the dividers are dividing by two.  It's 108f degrees here today so I think I'll
                                  take a break and tackle it later.  Thanks  for your help.  At 74 I probably should stick to
                                  raking the yard ;^).

                                  73, Norm

                                  >Thanks for your help. I can't really get into receive mode, that's my
                                  >problem.

                                  When I say RX mode, I mean that is what it should be! You are not applying
                                  PTT.

                                  >"Something" is holding
                                  the PTT high. Q3 emitter is 12.40V, base is 6.99 and collector is 6.28V.

                                  I expect the other end of R34 is less than 6V69, maybe Q10 is faulty, a
                                  fairly common occurrence. You could remove it, or lift one end of R51 to
                                  confirm that the Q3 voltages are then correct.
                                  Ensure R50 is 22K1.

                                  Try IM ToolPack Send your photos by email in seconds...
                                  Try FREE IM ToolPack at www.imtoolpack.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 25, 2010
                                    From: "Norm"

                                    > At 74 I probably should stick to
                                    raking the yard ;^).

                                    Norm,

                                    Raking the yard is to keep your body moving, Softrocks and the like are for
                                    keeping our brains moving!

                                    Keep at it, let the group know any problems, someone's brain will come up
                                    with the right answer.

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • Iz Oos
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 18, 2013
                                      Hello,

                                      I wish to use a footswitch, which is also connected to a QRP-PA 2008 10W amplifier, with my RXTX Ensemble for PTT. Where can I connect the footswitch to the RXTX Ensemble?

                                      73

                                      Franco iz2oos
                                    • Iz Oos

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 18, 2013

                                          >I wish to use a footswitch, which is also connected to a QRP-PA 2008 10W amplifier, with my RXTX Ensemble for PTT. Where can I
                                          >connect the footswitch to the RXTX Ensemble?

                                          Franco,