Re: [softrock40] Re: Build Notes?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      From: "Matthew"
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: Build Notes?

      Why the large exposed metal area under the crystal? In a couple pictures
      I've seen it looks like it's got some kind of wire running to the body of
      the crystal housing?

      From the build notes at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/'A2%20SoftRock%20v6.0%20docs/>
      "A ground plated through-hole is provided to
      solder a wire between the crystal case and ground for a HC49 type crystal.
      The
      crystals will be mounted horizontally in the X1 location."

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Matthew
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1 6:35 AM
        Ahhh! Build Notes! Why haven't I noticed those two files in all the times I've been through that list?

        Any idea how closely those match the 6.1 version of the board? A quick scan sounds like a close match, but I'm not sure what differences there might be between 6.0 and 6.1.

        Thanks for making me look AGAIN for build notes.

        > From: "Matthew"
        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Build Notes?
        >
        > Why the large exposed metal area under the crystal? In a couple pictures
        > I've seen it looks like it's got some kind of wire running to the body of
        > the crystal housing?
        >
        > From the build notes at
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/'A2%20SoftRock%20v6.0%20docs/>
        > "A ground plated through-hole is provided to
        > solder a wire between the crystal case and ground for a HC49 type crystal.
        > The
        > crystals will be mounted horizontally in the X1 location."
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • g8voip
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 6:55 AM
          Hi Matthew,

          I have only ever build the original v6.0 board, but just taking a quick look at the two schematics appear to be identical including the component numbering, except for R17 in the oscillator circuit from Q2 base to ground. In the v6.0 that had to be connected on the bottom of the PCB, appears the change to v6.1 is that it was then included on the PCB layout.

          I do have Tony's original build notes for the v6.0 RX, so if you want a copy of those, drop me an email directly so I can forward them on to you.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <utoxin@...> wrote:

          > Ahhh! Build Notes! Why haven't I noticed those two files in all the times I've been through that list?
          >
          > Any idea how closely those match the 6.1 version of the board? A quick scan sounds like a close match, but I'm not sure what differences there might be between 6.0 and 6.1.
          >
          > Thanks for making me look AGAIN for build notes.

        • Don Parks
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 9:08 AM
            are there schematics available for the v4.0 softrock 40?

            Don  K4IJV

            On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, g8voip <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

            Hi Matthew,

            I have only ever build the original v6.0 board, but just taking a quick look at the two schematics appear to be identical including the component numbering, except for R17 in the oscillator circuit from Q2 base to ground. In the v6.0 that had to be connected on the bottom of the PCB, appears the change to v6.1 is that it was then included on the PCB layout.

            I do have Tony's original build notes for the v6.0 RX, so if you want a copy of those, drop me an email directly so I can forward them on to you.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <utoxin@...> wrote:

            > Ahhh! Build Notes! Why haven't I noticed those two files in all the times I've been through that list?
            >
            > Any idea how closely those match the 6.1 version of the board? A quick scan sounds like a close match, but I'm not sure what differences there might be between 6.0 and 6.1.
            >
            > Thanks for making me look AGAIN for build notes.

          • Juhan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1 9:38 AM
              Hi Don,

              ---Don Parks:

              > are there schematics available for the v4.0 softrock 40?

              http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/

              73!
              --
              Juhan ES5QX