Thoughts on a new design

  • maca_4
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2010
      I was having a play with my FPGA last night and had a though it would be very usefull in a SDR. With the ensemble type design you could condense the LO, Bandpass Shifting, Dividers and Mixers all on to a FPGA. So all you would need is the bandpass filter's, powersupply and some op-amps. This would not really reduce the cost but would drastically decrease the parts count and size. Has anything like this been done ?.
    • James Austin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
        The QS1R and Perseus receivers are both use an FPGA, but are significantly more expensive than a SoftRock.

        On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM, maca_4 <maca_4@...> wrote:

        I was having a play with my FPGA last night and had a though it would be very usefull in a SDR. With the ensemble type design you could condense the LO, Bandpass Shifting, Dividers and Mixers all on to a FPGA. So all you would need is the bandpass filter's, powersupply and some op-amps. This would not really reduce the cost but would drastically decrease the parts count and size. Has anything like this been done ?.

      • terry long
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
          I believe the FPGA is the basis for the HPSDR designs.

          Terry

          On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM, maca_4 <maca_4@...> wrote:

          I was having a play with my FPGA last night and had a though it would be very usefull in a SDR. With the ensemble type design you could condense the LO, Bandpass Shifting, Dividers and Mixers all on to a FPGA. So all you would need is the bandpass filter's, powersupply and some op-amps. This would not really reduce the cost but would drastically decrease the parts count and size. Has anything like this been done ?.

        • WS3Z
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
            Hi Maca_4,
            I am wondering what FPGA you have and what you are doing with it if you do not mind sharing.
            I had to look it up to see what it was. Looks very interesting and might help me in my designs.
            I see there are at least a handful that pop up on Google.
            Thanks in advance
            Larry