Softrock v9.0 Electronic BPF

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
      I have built the second band group (4-8Mhz) and was able to hear a CW QSO YAY the SR is built proper. But I am having some oddities which only appear when the EBPF is installed. In rocky the Radio seems to "reset" after a few second of run time, it does "Bump chase" that Rocky does if you plug in a SDR while its running, and will randomly do it every few seconds. Also the center frequency gets smaller and will eventually invert and become a ditch in the band. Let me know what you guys think :) thanks for the help so far, the radio works just needs a few tweeks lol. OH secondly how do I connect the band jumpers to J3 on the Lite v9.0. Thanks again gentlemen

      Chris
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
        Hi Chris,

        With the switched BPF module, you must not fit the band select jumpers.

        You need to wire up two leads from the main board J3 connector pins 1 & 2 to the two jumper pins closest to the edge of the BPF board so that the selection is controlled using the outputs of the AVR chip U2.

        You must not fit any jumpers with that lead in place as you will short the outputs of U2 and risk potentially damaging it.

        With no jumpers fitted, the BPF will select the 16 - 30MHz one, so if you did not have that built yet, might give you some strange results.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010
          From: "g8voip"
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Softrock v9.0 Electronic BPF

          > You need to wire up two leads from the main board J3 connector pins 1 & 2
          > to the two jumper pins closest to the edge of the BPF board so that the
          > selection is controlled using the outputs of the AVR chip U2.

          When I did it I was not sure which of the two went where.
          The connector nearest the edge of the main board is connected with the one
          on the long edge of the BPF.
          I expect it is on Robby's pages but did not find it.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010
            Are you saying that the top left most pin on the BPF does not connect to the top pin on J3, that the wires should cross?

            Chris

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010
              From: "Chris"

              >Are you saying that the top left most pin on the BPF does not connect to
              >the top pin on J3, that the wires should cross?

              I was wondering if I'd made it clear, I don't think you have done any
              better! The way I see it is that the wires do not cross.
              I remember getting it wrong but that was probably just me not thinking
              straight!

              JP1 on the BPF board goes to J3 pin 1 on the main board.
              Looking at the top, coil side, of the BPF board with JP1 and 2 at top right
              then JP1 is top right. The very top right is connected to J3 pin 1. The one
              next to it along the short edge is connected to J3 pin 2.

              Many have made this without a problem, I have probably confused you
              unnecessarily.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010

                Now im confused lol lets try this again. JP1 left pin connects to J3 pin 1 and jp2 left pin connects to j3 pin 2. So that the AVR can send power to the correct selections. Please excuse my ascii art lol.

                I ------ I I JP1
                I ------ I I JP2
                J3

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010
                  Hi Chris,

                  There is a photo in my 'G8VOI' folder, but not very clear from that.

                  On the BPF module the two pins of JP1 and JP2 closest to the capacitor C6 are the ground connections and now not used.

                  The two pins on the edge of the PCB facing the AVR chip are the two you need to link to the two pin connector J3 on the main board. They link in the same order, i,e the nearest pin of J3 to the edge of the PCB goes to the similar one on the BPF module.

                  In my photo, I fitted a right angle 2 pin header to the underside of the BPF module to keep the height down, but the blue and white leads go in the same order on the BPF module.

                  73, Bob G8VOI

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris <update_server@...> wrote:

                  > Now im confused lol lets try this again. JP1 left pin connects to J3 pin 1 and jp2 left pin connects to j3 pin 2. So that the AVR can send power to the correct selections. Please excuse my ascii art lol.
                  >

                  > I ------ I I JP1
                  > I ------ I I JP2
                  > J3

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 21, 2010

                    OK, This is the order I connected them. Thanks for the info again :) Without your and Tony's help I would be without a Softrock :) thanks guys