Re: Rocky receive auto-balance question

  • w7qjq
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1 4:38 PM
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@...> wrote:

      > I've uploaded a screen capture of the receive auto-balance from Rocky and it seems to capture good data, then totally ignore it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong????
      >
      > Thanks all,
      >
      > Brent - AB1LF

      You did not say what the signal source was...best is an rf generator injecting a fairly strong signal and slowly (about 1 minute) sweep across the band while collecting data.
      Also, you might try "View, Settings, Audio, Shift Right Cannnel Data by" each of the three choices in turn (Reseting the Data between trys).
      After you get a sucessful data set, uncheck "Collect Data".
      Also, each band will have its own data set.

      73, Sid W7QJQ
      Oklahoma
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2 12:15 AM
        Hi Brent,

        The only advice I would add to Sid's is to leave the 'auto collect' checked, the whole idea of the image rejection system used in Rocky is the more signals it gathers the better the image rejection becomes over a longer period of time.

        I usually 'train' mine quickly by stepping a signal generator across the band in 1kHz steps to build up an initial set of correction curves.

        Rocky creates and saves a unique set of gain / phase correction curves for each individual centre frequency you set up in the Rocky.ini file.

        From your screen grab there really are insufficient points to really make any comment if it is working or not.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7qjq" <sbjknox@...> wrote:

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've uploaded a screen capture of the receive auto-balance from Rocky and it seems to capture good data, then totally ignore it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong????
        > >
        > > Thanks all,
        > >
        > > Brent - AB1LF
        > >
        > You did not say what the signal source was...best is an rf generator injecting a fairly strong signal and slowly (about 1 minute) sweep across the band while collecting data.
        > Also, you might try "View, Settings, Audio, Shift Right Cannnel Data by" each of the three choices in turn (Reseting the Data between trys).
        > After you get a sucessful data set, uncheck "Collect Data".
        > Also, each band will have its own data set.
        >

        > 73, Sid W7QJQ
        > Oklahoma

      • Brent DeWitt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2 6:02 AM
          I didn't realize that the data was collected for each center frequency.  That's a very valuable piece of information Bob.  Thank you!  Is it fair to assume the same is true for the manual TX balance?

          The only advice I would add to Sid's is to leave the 'auto collect' checked, the whole idea of the image rejection system used in Rocky is the more signals it gathers the better the image rejection becomes over a longer period of time.

          I usually 'train' mine quickly by stepping a signal generator across the band in 1kHz steps to build up an initial set of correction curves.

          Rocky creates and saves a unique set of gain / phase correction curves for each individual centre frequency you set up in the Rocky.ini file.

          From your screen grab there really are insufficient points to really make any comment if it is working or not.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7qjq" <sbjknox@...> wrote:

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've uploaded a screen capture of the receive auto-balance from Rocky and it seems to capture good data, then totally ignore it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong????
          > >
          > > Thanks all,
          > >
          > > Brent - AB1LF
          > >
          > You did not say what the signal source was...best is an rf generator injecting a fairly strong signal and slowly (about 1 minute) sweep across the band while collecting data.
          > Also, you might try "View, Settings, Audio, Shift Right Cannnel Data by" each of the three choices in turn (Reseting the Data between trys).
          > After you get a sucessful data set, uncheck "Collect Data".
          > Also, each band will have its own data set.
          >

          > 73, Sid W7QJQ
          > Oklahoma

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2 6:21 AM
            Hi Brent,

            Really good question, never thought about that!

            I have just taken a look in the Program Files > Afreet >Rocky > Bal folder and there is a single file 'TXBalance.ini' which does have separate entries for gain and phase of each centre frequency I used when I was doing the beta testing of the Ensemble RXTX, so I would say the answer is yes.

            One thing I did find during that evaluation is that the TX IQ drive level was not saved for each band and it is essential to adjust it when you change bands to avoid over driving the transmitter.

            You will see in the same folder, all the 'IQBalance*.dat' files for each receive centre frequency you have set up.

            You live and learn, thanks!

            73, Bob G8VOI
          • Brent G DeWitt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3 4:10 PM

              Hi Sid,

              I haven’t played with the Shift yet.  I’m not sure what you mean by “three choices”?

              Brent

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3 11:25 PM
                From: "Brent G DeWitt" Subject: RE: [softrock40] Re: Rocky receive
                auto-balance question

                > I haven't played with the Shift yet. I'm not sure what you mean by "three
                > choices"?
                >
                > Also, you might try "View, Settings, Audio, Shift Right Cannnel Data by"
                > each of the three choices in turn

                1 (works with my Creative) or 0, -1. Others are available but are not needed
                for Creatives.

                Note the chart may appear to do something on the wrong setting but it will
                not look like that shown on the Rocky site. (Advanced Topics)