Image ? on Softrock V9 and PDSR V1.12 ?

  • ronenp4
    Message 1 of 25 , May 29 2:57 PM
      Hi there
      Today i installed the Psdr of Christos (v1.12)
      ans while tuning the band i have noticed that While I tune the band there are signals looks like images that go in the opposit direction that i tune to ....

      I have the Old good PSDR 1.0.0 Softrock40 Version and there i havnt noticed such behave ...

      Whatis it ?
      Thanks Forward
      Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
      http://www.ronen.org
    • John T. Fleming
      Message 2 of 25 , May 29 3:17 PM

        Ronen,

        Do you have stereo or monaural feed to the computer? It sounds like it could be monaural or the computer connector is monaural.

        73,

        John

        Message 3 of 25 , May 29 3:41 PM
          Hi Ronen,

          I've noticed this phenomena in PSDR v2.0 after I installed USB I2C.  Mine is a known good working and configured system, but yet every once in a while I'll see a small noise spike slide across in the opposite direction that I'm tuning.  It doesn't disrupt operation, but I've been curious of the cause.

          Ed KT6F
          SDRbuzz.com

        • aa9wqham@aol.com

            Message 5 of 25 , May 29 10:03 PM
              Message 6 of 25 , May 29 10:51 PM
                Now that you mention that Alan, I don't believe I've seen this condition since I rewound L201 and L202 on a PA/BPF board on the 6.3.  I had initially wound them with too many turns.

                Ed KT6F
                SDRbuzz.com

                Message 7 of 25 , May 30 12:10 AM
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 30 12:15 AM
                    Hi Ronen,

                    Do you have the 'EIA' Automatic Image rejection button 'turned on' in the DSP panel on the main display?

                    You can also change the characteristics of the automatic image rejection response using the numbers / scroll box alongside the button.

                    From memory higher number closer to one work quicker, but require stronger signals, lower number towards 0 is slower but works on signals towards the noise floor.

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ronenp4" <ronen@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there
                    > Today i installed the Psdr of Christos (v1.12)
                    > ans while tuning the band i have noticed that While I tune the band there are signals looks like images that go in the opposit direction that i tune to ....
                    >
                    > I have the Old good PSDR 1.0.0 Softrock40 Version and there i havnt noticed such behave ...
                    >
                    > Whatis it ?
                    > Thanks Forward
                    > Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
                    > http://www.ronen.org

                  • Conrad Farlow
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30 4:57 AM
                      Has anyone produced a good quality audio signal generator application for windows that can be used with a sound card.

                      73

                      Conrad G0RUZ

                      --------------------------

                      G0RUZ's new web pages

                    • Conrad Farlow
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 30 5:02 AM
                        Definitely Elsie by Tonne software, I have just done some 7 pole bandpass filter design this week, set Elsie to change components to 5% tolerance, then entered that lot with component models in ADS which is in close agreement. Finally built it and it works a treat - highly recommended.

                        73

                        Conrad G0RUZ

                        --------------------------

                        G0RUZ's new web pages

                        I don't believe I've seen this condition

                        since I rewound L201 and L202 on a PA/BPF board on the 6.3.  I had
                        initially wound them with too many turns.

                        Yes, it is possible that getting the components close to designed values
                        affects the HF attenuation by a significant amount.
                        I have seen a lot of this recently. I have been playing with a LF version, I
                        am impressed by the performance of my v9 in the 300-400KHz range, I seem to
                        hear more beacons there on the Softrock than any other RX I have tried. But
                        my crude LPF is letting quite a few strong x3 signals through.
                        Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use, filter design program?

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 30 6:28 AM
                          > Has anyone produced a good quality audio signal generator application for
                          > windows that can be used with a sound card.

                          I wonder if an SDR program will do what you want? It will output I/Q in TX
                          mode.

                          Thanks for recommending Elsie, it looks good.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • w7qjq
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 30 6:54 AM
                            Audio Signal generator IQ software

                            > Has anyone produced a good quality audio signal
                            > generator application for windows that can be
                            > used with a sound card.

                            > 73

                            > Conrad G0RUZ

                            Yes, DL6IAK has given us two Tone Generators. Refer to

                            'W7QJQ Si570,571, SoftRock, I-Q Tone Generator

                            in the Files section.

                            73, Sid W7QJQ
                            Oklahoma
                          • Milt Cram
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 30 6:58 AM
                              On 5/30/2010 8:28 AM, Alan wrote:
> [...]
                              Hi All,

                              Have you looked at IQGEN by DL6IAK?

                              http://dl6iak.ba-karlsruhe.de/projects/2001-04-28.htm

                              73, Milt
                              W8NUE
                            • Milt Cram
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 30 7:02 AM
                                On 5/30/2010 8:28 AM, Alan wrote:
> [...]
                                There is also M0KGK's test software at:

                                http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/download.php

                                73, Milt
                                W8NUE
                              • ronenp4
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 30 1:05 PM
                                  Thanks for all of you for your comments
                                  Here are the answeres
                                  1) I have a Stereo Sound Card Of course .....
                                  2) the radio worked good with the 1.9.0-SR-40 version and this problem only came up with the Ver 1.12.0.7 of Christos ...
                                  so Why in the new version it exist and the old version no ?
                                  3) the Automatic Image Reject Button os on and indeed i saw that few images disapeared with it but unfortenetly some new images apeared with the button presses ....
                                  4) what is the manual ajustments ? i didnt knew about it how do i do it i may try to do it ...
                                  5) the explain of the images signal apear 3x faster is close to what i see but i listened on 14MHz and 3x is 45 Meg and i dont think that something there exist to cause the problem .... but again why on one software it exist and other not at all ???
                                  6) where can i get the Ver2 software ? i may try it too so a link to get it might be appreciated
                                  Please Advice
                                  Thanks Forward
                                  Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
                                  http://www.ronen.org

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 30 2:10 PM
                                    > 2) the radio worked good with the 1.9.0-SR-40 version and this problem
                                    > only came up with the Ver 1.12.0.7 of Christos ...
                                    > so Why in the new version it exist and the old version no ?
                                    > 3) the Automatic Image Reject Button os on and indeed i saw that few
                                    > images disapeared with it but unfortenetly some new images apeared with
                                    > the button presses ....
                                    > 4) what is the manual ajustments ? i didnt knew about it how do i do it i
                                    > may try to do it ...

                                    I do not think this version has manual adjustment. No-one else has
                                    complained so this makes me wonder if something has changed in your system.

                                    > 5) the explain of the images signal apear 3x faster is close to what i
                                    > see but i listened on 14MHz and 3x is 45 Meg and i dont think that
                                    > something there exist to cause the problem .... but again why on one
                                    > software it exist and other not at all ???

                                    The 3x reception moves across the screen from one side to another at 3x the
                                    tuning rate.
                                    The audio image moves to and from the centre, it is a mirror image of the
                                    real signal.

                                    > 6) where can i get the Ver2 software ? i may try it too so a link to get
                                    > it might be appreciated

                                    Is it still good with ver 1.9.0-SR-40?
                                    <http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list>

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • sdrcrazed
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 30 2:59 PM
                                      PSDR V2.0 can be a little tricky to install.  Check out How to Install PowerSDR (PSDR) V2.0 + Downloads at SDRbuzz for the files and instructions...

                                    • aa9wqham@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 30 8:54 PM
                                        v1.12 has manual adjustment for RX and TX. v2 has it for TX. With manual adjustment I can get 60+DB image rejection.

                                        Larry

                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 31 12:30 AM
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 31 6:21 AM
                                            Careful re Flex's 26 May release - it was (clearly, as evidenced by the reports back from the testers) BETA.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 31 8:17 AM
                                              From: "ronenp4"

                                              > 2) the radio worked good with the 1.9.0-SR-40 version and this problem
                                              > only came up with the Ver 1.12.0.7 of Christos ...

                                              I see that 1.12.0.7 is old, it has been removed from the download page,
                                              v1.12.20 is the latest version on Christos' site. This has manual (the same
                                              as 1.9.0-SR-40) and EIA adjustment.

                                              I see Flex has released v2.0.0, 26 May, maybe Christos is looking at that...
                                              may be worth waiting? The auto image reduction might be better.

                                              The group for PDSR-IQ is at
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/?yguid=386331429>
                                              You will find some posts about EIA.

                                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                            • sv1eia
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 31 9:29 AM
                                                Hi Alan,

                                                You are absolutely right on the warnings.
                                                There is a major work that has been done so far in PSDR from Flex but this announcement IMHO came to ease up a situation right after a significant heated discussion in company's reflector from some flex owners due to the huge delay so far and the direct involvement of Gerard in the discussion.
                                                Yet again that version is not as it needs to be a mainstream supported one, it has quite a few issues as the notices say and most important of all, we use PSDR in a SDR1K more-or-less way, and this version is specifiying clearly that it is only for F3K/F5K, for the rigs with the on-board ADC/DAC so its not quite ready for us even as beta.
                                                Also, if you want my opinion, if someone uses now the 1.19.x from PSDR-IQ downloads for softrocks, I do not see what more one can get with the 2.beta with the exception of a probably better CW performance (if it worked for us..).

                                                73,
                                                Christos SV1EIA

                                                > From: "R R Robson"
                                                > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Image ? on Softrock V9 and PDSR V1.12 ?
                                                >

                                                > >Careful re Flex's 26 May release - it was (clearly, as evidenced by the
                                                > >reports back from the testers) BETA.
                                                >
                                                > Yes, Robbie.
                                                > Ronan asked where to get the previous one that Christos modified, that is an
                                                > alpha, but did not seem to have any major problems.
                                                >
                                                > V2 does come with this warning:-
                                                > "WARNING: Beta download - USE WITH CAUTION. Read the PowerSDR v2.0.0
                                                > (2010-05-26) Release Notesbefore installing"
                                                >

                                                > and I suggested waiting to see if Christos approved it. It's probably not
                                                > really too useful until someone adapts it for Softrocks.
                                                >
                                                > I think this where you see the beta remarks?
                                                > <http://mail.flex-radio.biz/pipermail/flexedge_flex-radio.biz/2010-May/date.html#4207>
                                                >
                                                > 73 Alan G4FZQ

                                              • pond.james_pond
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 31 4:00 PM
                                                  You need to manually reverse the audio channels to stop the opposite direction type images while tuning.

                                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ronenp4" <ronen@...> wrote:

                                                  > Thanks for all of you for your comments
                                                  > Here are the answeres
                                                  > 1) I have a Stereo Sound Card Of course .....
                                                  > 2) the radio worked good with the 1.9.0-SR-40 version and this problem only came up with the Ver 1.12.0.7 of Christos ...
                                                  > so Why in the new version it exist and the old version no ?
                                                  > 3) the Automatic Image Reject Button os on and indeed i saw that few images disapeared with it but unfortenetly some new images apeared with the button presses ....
                                                  > 4) what is the manual ajustments ? i didnt knew about it how do i do it i may try to do it ...
                                                  > 5) the explain of the images signal apear 3x faster is close to what i see but i listened on 14MHz and 3x is 45 Meg and i dont think that something there exist to cause the problem .... but again why on one software it exist and other not at all ???
                                                  > 6) where can i get the Ver2 software ? i may try it too so a link to get it might be appreciated
                                                  > Please Advice
                                                  > Thanks Forward
                                                  > Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
                                                  > http://www.ronen.org
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Hi Ronen,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Do you have the 'EIA' Automatic Image rejection button 'turned on' in the DSP panel on the main display?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > You can also change the characteristics of the automatic image rejection response using the numbers / scroll box alongside the button.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > From memory higher number closer to one work quicker, but require stronger signals, lower number towards 0 is slower but works on signals towards the noise floor.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                                                  > >

                                                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ronenp4" <ronen@> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Hi there
                                                  > > > Today i installed the Psdr of Christos (v1.12)
                                                  > > > ans while tuning the band i have noticed that While I tune the band there are signals looks like images that go in the opposit direction that i tune to ....
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I have the Old good PSDR 1.0.0 Softrock40 Version and there i havnt noticed such behave ...
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Whatis it ?
                                                  > > > Thanks Forward
                                                  > > > Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
                                                  > > > http://www.ronen.org

                                                • g8voip
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 31 11:10 PM
                                                    Hi there,

                                                    Surely reversing the audio leads would only reverse the sidebands i.e USB to LSB etc, which as they are apparently already the correct way around is not the solution, and would have no effect on the images?

                                                    73, Bob G8VOI

                                                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pond.james_pond" <crusty@...> wrote:

                                                    > You need to manually reverse the audio channels to stop the opposite direction type images while tuning.
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ronenp4" <ronen@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks for all of you for your comments
                                                    > > Here are the answeres
                                                    > > 1) I have a Stereo Sound Card Of course .....
                                                    > > 2) the radio worked good with the 1.9.0-SR-40 version and this problem only came up with the Ver 1.12.0.7 of Christos ...
                                                    > > so Why in the new version it exist and the old version no ?
                                                    > > 3) the Automatic Image Reject Button os on and indeed i saw that few images disapeared with it but unfortenetly some new images apeared with the button presses ....
                                                    > > 4) what is the manual ajustments ? i didnt knew about it how do i do it i may try to do it ...
                                                    > > 5) the explain of the images signal apear 3x faster is close to what i see but i listened on 14MHz and 3x is 45 Meg and i dont think that something there exist to cause the problem .... but again why on one software it exist and other not at all ???
                                                    > > 6) where can i get the Ver2 software ? i may try it too so a link to get it might be appreciated
                                                    > > Please Advice
                                                    > > Thanks Forward
                                                    > > Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
                                                    > > http://www.ronen.org
                                                    > >

                                                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Hi Ronen,
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Do you have the 'EIA' Automatic Image rejection button 'turned on' in the DSP panel on the main display?
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > You can also change the characteristics of the automatic image rejection response using the numbers / scroll box alongside the button.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > From memory higher number closer to one work quicker, but require stronger signals, lower number towards 0 is slower but works on signals towards the noise floor.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                                                  • pond.james_pond
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
                                                      I had the same problem and was given this solution on the PowerSDR-IQ group and it worked, just passing it on.