Re: What can you do with a Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz on Linux?

  • f6fvy
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      Hi Rob

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

      > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
      > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
      > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

      FYI, I run Rocky on a PIII 500 MHz under Win98 (and also Win2k) with
      pre-recorded IQ files with no problem. I'm waiting my SoftRock and
      will inform on the list if it also works.

      60/65% use with 48 kHz sampled files
      85/90% use with 96 kHz sampled files

      10/15% less with window minimized...

      73

      Larry - F6FVY
    • Rob Frohne
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Francis,

        Yes, that was a long time ago. It appears that things have improved in
        the SDR world while I was playing in other areas. I still have the
        R2-DSP, and plan to try it with the new PC software. Your comments
        below encourage me greatly.

        Thanks & 73,

        Rob

      • Frank Brickle
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

          > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
          > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
          > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

          The current DSP core of PowerSDR was developed on a 450MHz PIII under
          Linux.

          A CPU like that has plenty of cycles to do the signal processing. It's
          the spectrum display that really chews it up. If you set the jack
          audio buffers to be large-ish (2048) and keep the number of spectrum
          refreshes down (5/sec) you should be able to keep up pretty well.

          Running jsdr (the standalone DSP core under Linux with no console)
          works just fine.

          73
          Frank
          AB2KT
        • FRANCIS CARCIA
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            Hi Rob,
            The ultimate rejection of the typical sound card does not match the performance ot that little 56303 but all the cool software out there makes it easy to use. My goal was to build a sdr demodulator for my Racal RA6830. The addition of the spectrum display makes it a nice tool. I built a home brew module that fits in a spare slot of the radio and makes I/Q at 7.625 kHz. I used a color burst crystal divided by 8 to make the I/Q LO for the 455 KHz demodulation. I may switch over to my old novice crystal 3725 to get a higher IF. I still think SDR needs 1 stage of conversion with a roofing filter but am keeping an open mind.  fc