Re: What can you do with a Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz on Linux?

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      Rob Frohne wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
      > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
      > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Rob

      Rob,

      before some nice guy stole it from my car the past year, I used to give demonstrations of SDRadio on an IBM laptop
      mod 770Z, with Windows XP. The speed of the processor on that laptop is (was) less than 400 MHz. It was a little
      sluggish when I dragged e.g. the passband borders with the mouse, but the audio was ok.

      73 Alberto I2PHD
    • f6fvy
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Rob

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

        > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
        > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
        > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

        FYI, I run Rocky on a PIII 500 MHz under Win98 (and also Win2k) with
        pre-recorded IQ files with no problem. I'm waiting my SoftRock and
        will inform on the list if it also works.

        60/65% use with 48 kHz sampled files
        85/90% use with 96 kHz sampled files

        10/15% less with window minimized...

        73

        Larry - F6FVY
      • Rob Frohne
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          Hi Francis,

          Yes, that was a long time ago. It appears that things have improved in
          the SDR world while I was playing in other areas. I still have the
          R2-DSP, and plan to try it with the new PC software. Your comments
          below encourage me greatly.

          Thanks & 73,

          Rob

        • Frank Brickle
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

            > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
            > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
            > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

            The current DSP core of PowerSDR was developed on a 450MHz PIII under
            Linux.

            A CPU like that has plenty of cycles to do the signal processing. It's
            the spectrum display that really chews it up. If you set the jack
            audio buffers to be large-ish (2048) and keep the number of spectrum
            refreshes down (5/sec) you should be able to keep up pretty well.

            Running jsdr (the standalone DSP core under Linux with no console)
            works just fine.

            73
            Frank
            AB2KT
          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              Hi Rob,
              The ultimate rejection of the typical sound card does not match the performance ot that little 56303 but all the cool software out there makes it easy to use. My goal was to build a sdr demodulator for my Racal RA6830. The addition of the spectrum display makes it a nice tool. I built a home brew module that fits in a spare slot of the radio and makes I/Q at 7.625 kHz. I used a color burst crystal divided by 8 to make the I/Q LO for the 455 KHz demodulation. I may switch over to my old novice crystal 3725 to get a higher IF. I still think SDR needs 1 stage of conversion with a roofing filter but am keeping an open mind.  fc