Re: [softrock40] What can you do with a Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz on Linux?

  • FRANCIS CARCIA
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      Hi Rob,
      I'm running a 1 GHz P3 with 512 meg of ram and it is at about 20% horse power most of the time with most software packages. Do you remember me from DSP56303 days when my buddy Pete WA1SOV helped me convert your code to my board. frank

      Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:
      Hi All,

      I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
      Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux?  Can the
      parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

      Thanks,

      Rob

      --
      Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
      E.F. Cross School of Engineering

      begin:vcard
      fn:Rob Frohne
      n:Frohne;Rob
      org:Walla Walla College;E.F. Cross School of Engineering
      adr:;;100 SW 4th Street;College Place;WA;99324;USA
      email;internet:frohro@...
      title:Professor
      tel;work:(509) 527-2075
      tel;fax:(509) 527-2867
      tel;home:(509) 529-3585
      url:http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro
      version:2.1
      end:vcard

    • Alberto I2PHD
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Rob Frohne wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
        > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
        > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rob

        Rob,

        before some nice guy stole it from my car the past year, I used to give demonstrations of SDRadio on an IBM laptop
        mod 770Z, with Windows XP. The speed of the processor on that laptop is (was) less than 400 MHz. It was a little
        sluggish when I dragged e.g. the passband borders with the mouse, but the audio was ok.

        73 Alberto I2PHD
      • f6fvy
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          Hi Rob

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

          > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
          > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
          > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

          FYI, I run Rocky on a PIII 500 MHz under Win98 (and also Win2k) with
          pre-recorded IQ files with no problem. I'm waiting my SoftRock and
          will inform on the list if it also works.

          60/65% use with 48 kHz sampled files
          85/90% use with 96 kHz sampled files

          10/15% less with window minimized...

          73

          Larry - F6FVY
        • Rob Frohne
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            Hi Francis,

            Yes, that was a long time ago. It appears that things have improved in
            the SDR world while I was playing in other areas. I still have the
            R2-DSP, and plan to try it with the new PC software. Your comments
            below encourage me greatly.

            Thanks & 73,

            Rob

          • Frank Brickle
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2006
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <frohro@...> wrote:

              > I am wondering if anyone has tried the Softrock40 with anything like a
              > Pentium III 450 MHz or a Celeron 433 MHz computer on Linux? Can the
              > parameters be adjusted so that these older computers will work ok?

              The current DSP core of PowerSDR was developed on a 450MHz PIII under
              Linux.

              A CPU like that has plenty of cycles to do the signal processing. It's
              the spectrum display that really chews it up. If you set the jack
              audio buffers to be large-ish (2048) and keep the number of spectrum
              refreshes down (5/sec) you should be able to keep up pretty well.

              Running jsdr (the standalone DSP core under Linux with no console)
              works just fine.

              73
              Frank
              AB2KT
            • FRANCIS CARCIA
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                Hi Rob,
                The ultimate rejection of the typical sound card does not match the performance ot that little 56303 but all the cool software out there makes it easy to use. My goal was to build a sdr demodulator for my Racal RA6830. The addition of the spectrum display makes it a nice tool. I built a home brew module that fits in a spare slot of the radio and makes I/Q at 7.625 kHz. I used a color burst crystal divided by 8 to make the I/Q LO for the 455 KHz demodulation. I may switch over to my old novice crystal 3725 to get a higher IF. I still think SDR needs 1 stage of conversion with a roofing filter but am keeping an open mind.  fc