Re: [softrock40] Re: Received my kit

  • Jose Bonanca
    Message 1 of 32 , May 2, 2010
      I second your thoughts..
      73

      On 2 May 2010 15:07, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

      Ken, I could not tell if this was a current message or something sent twice... however, I will add these two cents. I don't think the grounded, metal sheet beneath your feet is a very good idea from a safety point of view. It may drain the charges to help prevent ESD events but if you use anything with high voltages at that site it presents too much hazard to be practical and is probably not needed anyway. That would place too easy of a ground path through your body to be attending to high voltage circuits. I usually like to keep my feet pretty well insulated, even from just concrete floors when I am working on my projects. I use the foam, insulating mats at my service bench areas. Lots easier to stand on for long periods as well.

      If you get a good wrist strap and ground that at the operating level it should be adequate. As others have indicated the concern over ESD is probably over blown these days as long as you use common sense in not acquiring charges in a dry environment via carpeting and polyester sorts of clothing.

      I can't address the soldering iron issue other than to suggest that if it has a three pronged plug it is probably grounded adequately. If only two then you should invest in another one. They can be found cheaply at many locations. Harbor Freight has been mentioned here a  number of times as one source. Probably your local hardware or electronics store would have them as well.

      Bruce, K2BET

      Message 32 of 32 , May 4, 2010
        Christos.
        Thanks for the reply.
        I do not have VAC enabled and I am using MOX.
        I will check the result with TUN.
        Don m5aky