Re: [softrock40] Re: Received my kit

  • Ken Chase
    Message 1 of 32 , May 2 6:35 AM

      Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 3:51 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: Received my kit

        I was looking at the ESD pads for the floor. Expensive and locally hard to find. I was thinking of using a piece of sheet metal on plywood and attached to ground as a work surface. I can get a strap locally for about $9-$10. My weller soldering iron isn't grounded. Is there a way of grounding it?

      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

      > ... and take off your shoes! I don't know if you want to do that in
      > Florida but Up North here is works pretty good to drain the electrons!
      >
      > bet
      >
      > On 4/30/2010 2:28 PM, n4fbz wrote:
      > >
      > > There is a simple solution to a lot of the ESD worries that most
      > > people don't think about.
      > >
      > > Raise the humidity in the room where you're working. Put a pot of
      > > water on a heat pad or something like that. Maybe use a humidifier.
      > >
      > > I've been working with static-sensitive components for over 25 years
      > > (I used to own a small business repairing CNC/Robotics) and only once
      > > do I think I had an ESD problem- when the atmosphere in that shop was
      > > very dry. Of course, I live in Florida and a dry atmosphere isn't that
      > > common- in fact, it's rather rare.
      > >
      > > I haven't used a grounding strap in a long time, because it hasn't
      > > been necessary. A good grounded soldering iron, a quick touch of the
      > > ground plane when starting to work with devices, and I'm good to go.
      > > (Another good trick is to keep one finger on the ground plane of the
      > > board when you're placing or soldering parts.)
      > >
      > > Bob
      > > N4FBZ
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
      > > <mailto:softrock40% 40yahoogroups. com>, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@ >
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi Ken,
      > > >
      > > > There is generally mass hysteria and paranoia regarding ESD
      > > protection and problems.
      > > >
      > > > There is no doubt that the possibility does exist of damaging
      > > components, but far too often people blame ESD damage when it is far
      > > more likely to have been just poor construction or soldering.
      > > >
      > > > By far the most important things are to ensure your soldering iron
      > > has a properly earthed bit, then avoid any unnecessary handling of the
      > > ICs, particularly by their pins. Just apply common sense, i.e. do not
      > > go combing your hair (not a problem I suffer from any more!)or running
      > > around on nylon carpets before handling the components!
      > > >
      > > > If you have access to an antistatic mat and properly protected wrist
      > > strap, use them, but not really essential. Certainly not worth
      > > investing in them unless you were intending to do a serious amount of
      > > construction, any risk is extremely small.
      > > >
      > > > There tends to be three distinct groups of people and opinions:
      > > >
      > > > The beginners who are easily led to believe just looking at a CMOS
      > > component will cause it to vaporise in front of their eyes!
      > > >
      > > > Those with some experience and who are aware of ESD and the slight
      > > potential of causing damage, but generally go over the top with the
      > > precautions they take or advice they give.
      > > >
      > > > Professional electronic engineers who know all about the theoretical
      > > problems, but generally do not bother taking any particular
      > > precautions as they have never or very rarely experienced any problem!
      > > >
      > > > Personally, apart from using a decent Weller temperature controlled
      > > soldering iron with an earthed bit, not taken any other real
> [...]

      Is Toronto, Canada far enough north?

    • Don Vosper
      Message 32 of 32 , May 4 12:21 PM
        Christos.
        Thanks for the reply.
        I do not have VAC enabled and I am using MOX.
        I will check the result with TUN.
        Don m5aky