Re: DigiPan TX with RXTX 6.3 and USBtoI2C?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2010
      Hi..

      Sadly Phil N8VB has pulled the download for his VCOM tool. I had a little discussion with him about it a while back. In essance, he's dropped support for it, so it's no longer available from his site. At least the download button still brings up a 404 error.

      There are probably coppies about on the web, and many of us have the original install program on archive, but another alternative is Eterlogic's VSPE tool, that can also do many other neat things too as you may or may not need. Google 'Eterlogic vspe' you will find it, it is 100% genuinly free, and activly supported. For example, with IP-Sound and VSPE, you have genuinely workable remote control of a rig (Softrock or?) over a network, or VPN.

      ComOcom, I never got to work to my satisfaction, I also found the documentation very lacking, but that's just me.

      I also tried to find if someone could add basic custom rig command features to DigiPan, so when you changed band, it could also get the rig to QSY too. All it can do is manipulate a line for PTT use, sadly it can't do any more than that it seems. I couldnt find any DDE linking abilities either, else SoftRock (and other) control support could be added by an external helper tool. If anyone knows of any undocumented control I/O to DigiPan, it'd be good to know.

      It seems that though DigiPan is still popular, it is no longer being actively developed. Pitty, as it works well on older lower powered PC's that often struggle with the otherwise excelent HRD suite. (Sadly we cant all afford the latest multi GHz digital behemouth.)

      I personaly also think DigiPan's decoding abilities are slightly better "in the rough stuff" of a 20m contest for example, than DM780. But others say its the other way round.

      Cheers All.

      Dave G0WBX(G8KBV)

      > Hi Brent,
      >
      > The simplest way to link the two programs for controlling the PTT line is to use one of the 'Virtual COM port' programs to create two linked 'virtual' serial ports.
      >
      > There are a couple freely available.
      >
      > I am using N8VB's vCOM which does the job nicely. All you need to do is set up a pair of virtual ports, say COM8 and 18, then in Digipan > Configure set the PTT to COM8 and choose which signal you want to use, say DTR or RTS (or both), then in PSDR on the CAT Control tab, check the Enable PTT control, enter COM18 and select RTS or DTR (or both) as required.
      >
      > A quick Google for N8VB will find the information and download.
      >
      > Others use the Com0Com software, which performs the same function.
      >
      > If you get more ambitious it is also possible to link PSDR with other programs like Digipan and use the CAT functions via virtual COM ports to provide band switching and frequency displays etc. I have not got around to playing with that side yet.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "BD" <bdewitt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is this possible? How does one get DigiPan to talk to the SoftRock PTT?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Brent - AB1LF

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2010
        VCOM is built into Ham Radio Deluxe. Look in the tools menu.
        Philip g7jur.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2010
          From: "Dave"
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: DigiPan TX with RXTX 6.3 and USBtoI2C?

          <http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?title=VSP_Manager> Is one I use.

          > ComOcom, I never got to work to my satisfaction, I also found the
          > documentation very lacking, but that's just me.

          <http://com0com.sourceforge.net/>
          This is a command line setup. On another computer I just followed the
          limited instructions and then made the adjustments in Device Manager. But
          there's no need when others are available.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Brent G DeWitt
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2010

            Thanks for answering Bob.  Your reply seems to say PSDR needs to be running for Digipan to control the USB/I2C PTT function.  Is that correct?

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2010
              From: "Brent G DeWitt"

              > Thanks for answering Bob. Your reply seems to say PSDR needs to be
              > running
              > for Digipan to control the USB/I2C PTT function. Is that correct?

              Digipan is not an SDR program. It needs to be connected to a radio.
              Therefore it needs to be "connected" to a SDR program to interface with the
              Softrock. The Softrock is not a radio until it is used with a SDR program.
              Both audio and PTT need to be sent between the two programs because they
              need to be linked as if they were one.

              The link Preston gave you

              http://www.yt1dl.x50.cc/index.html does tell all.
              My page here
              <http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/softrock-wspr-psdr-and-vac> shows
              WSPR used with a Softrock, the principle is the same.

              It takes some concentration and experimenting to get it all to work, it is
              not the easiest thing to do. You also need the supporting utilities, VAC and
              a virtual COM port .

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                Hi Brent,

                As Alan commented, you do need to have both PSDR and Digipan running.

                The easiest way perhaps to think of it is that PSDR is your 'radio' in the conventional sense, so normally the received audio is routed just to the speakers so that you can hear what you are receiving.

                When you run any of the 'sound card' data mode programs like Digipan, you would normally feed audio to and from your transceiver using physical cables, along with a connection to the COM port for the PTT control.

                Really using PSDR as the 'radio' is no different, except instead or real pieces of cable linking the two, you make use of 'virtual cables' to pass the signals between the two programs.

                For the 'audio' streams most people use Eugene Muzychenko's VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software, v4.10 is the current version, although there has been some reported problems with that for SDR use, so I am still using v4.09. There is a limited demonstration version available, but the full program is not expensive and well worth acquiring.

                http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

                For the PTT control, you need create and use a pair of 'Virtual COM ports' to link the two programs. Seems like N8VB's vCOM program I am using is no longer supported, but you might find a copy to download somewhere. There are other programs available like 'com0com'.

                Once you have both the virtual audio cables and COM ports configured, that allows you to use the majority of the sound card data mode programs available.

                F6CTE's 'MultiPSK' program does allow for direct a direct I/Q input, but I have never really had too much success using that and much prefer to run PSDR conventionally and have all the benefits that provides. I am currently playing with a dual monitor set up on my PC, PSDR running on one, and the data mode program on the other.

                The link to YT1DL's site provides all of the information you need, well worth checking out.

                73, Bob G8VOI
              • R R Robson

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2010
                    Hi Robby,

                    I am not sure whether the 'nag' actually gets sent over the virtual cable or not, or if it is just routed to the speakers to annoy the user!

                    Not a problem here as I paid my dues and have a legal copy, something I would encourage everyone else to do :)

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  • R R Robson
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2010
                      Bob:

                      I could be wrong, but in trying the demo version on my Flex (with the rig set to monitor the outgoing signal), I heard it the nag.

                      href="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com">softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: DigiPan TX with RXTX 6.3 and
                      USBtoI2C?

                      > Hi Brent,
                      >
                      > As Alan
                      commented, you do need to have both PSDR and Digipan running.

                      The easiest way perhaps to think of it is that PSDR is your 'radio' in the conventional sense, so normally the received audio is routed just to the speakers so that you can hear what you are receiving.

                      > When you
                      run any of the 'sound card' data mode programs like Digipan, you would normally feed audio to and from your transceiver using physical cables, along with a connection to the COM port for the PTT control.

                      > Really using
                      PSDR as the 'radio' is no different, except instead or real pieces of cable linking the two, you make use of 'virtual cables' to pass the signals between the two programs.

                      > For the 'audio' streams most people use
                      Eugene Muzychenko's VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software, v4.10 is the current version, although there has been some reported problems with that for SDR use, so I am still using v4.09. There is a limited demonstration version available, but the full program is not expensive and well worth acquiring.

                      http://software. muzychenko. net/eng/vac. html

                      > For the PTT control, you need create and use a pair of 'Virtual COM
                      ports' to link the two programs. Seems like N8VB's vCOM program I am using is no longer supported, but you might find a copy to download somewhere. There are other programs available like 'com0com'.

                      > Once you have both the
                      virtual audio cables and COM ports configured, that allows you to use the majority of the sound card data mode programs available.

                      F6CTE's 'MultiPSK' program does allow for direct a direct I/Q input, but I have never really had too much success using that and much prefer to run PSDR conventionally and have all the benefits that provides. I am currently playing with a dual monitor set up on my PC, PSDR running on one, and the data mode program on the other.

                      > The link to YT1DL's site provides all of
                      the information you need, well worth checking out.

                      > 73, Bob
                      G8VOI