Re: [softrock40] Re: how do I order the softrock?

  • n4jik1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30 6:40 AM
      Tony,
      By the way for anyone who orders one of the rx/bpf combos the standard sized project box at radio shack is a perfect fit. Great way to protect the investment and so far the receiver has been very much so worth the wait. Thanks again and looking forward to to the RXTX combos coming out.

      Jeremy
      N4JIK

      From: Tony Parks <kb9yig@...>
      Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:28:49 -0400
      To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: how do I order the softrock?

      Hi Don,

      I am currently working on getting the RXTX Ensemble kit ready to produce.  The RXTX Ensemble kit combines the v6.3 RXTX circuit with the UBS I2C interface circuit and a PA/Filter circuit on a 2.5 inch by 5.0 inch circuit board.  Connectors for USB, paddles, line-out, line-in, DC power and BNC are located along one edge of the board.

      The kit, when available, will include all parts needed to built the board for any of the four band options: 160m, or 80m/40m, or 30m/20m/17m, or 15m/12m/10m.  It has been suggested that an option for building the board for 40m/30m/20m operation might be of interest and I think this would be possible.

      Hopefully the RXTX Ensemble kit can be made available later in May.

      73,

      Tony Parks
      kb9yig@gmail. com
      http://www.kb9yig. com

      On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 14:10 +0100, Don Vosper wrote:

      Did I blink and miss the re-run of the 6.3 or didn't it happen yet?
      Don m5aky

    • R R Robson
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 30 6:45 AM
        (BETA) Builders' Notes for the RXTX Ensemble kit are found at:
        http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/ (and succeeding pages)

        tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
        What happens in the shack stays in the shack!
        www.wb5rvz.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 30 7:47 AM
          Had the 6.1 working on transmit mode.
          Initial reports suggest that although a good signal I am tansmitting on
          both upper and lower sidebands together no matter which one I select.
          Receive seems ok.
          Using psdr-iq 1.12 20 with Audigy 2ZS.
          Any ideas welcome.
          Don m5aky
        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 30 8:03 AM
            Hi Don,

            Have you set up the transmit image rejection?

            Either that or you might have a problem with either the I or Q signals going to the transmit section, or the op amp stages.

            Basically all of the comments applicable to receive image rejection apply, so you need to work through from the PC sound card output, i.e. are both channels present and 90 degrees apart, then through the op amp stages to the TX mixer. Could be a problem anywhere in that path.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Vosper" <don@...> wrote:

            > Had the 6.1 working on transmit mode.
            > Initial reports suggest that although a good signal I am tansmitting on
            > both upper and lower sidebands together no matter which one I select.
            > Receive seems ok.
            > Using psdr-iq 1.12 20 with Audigy 2ZS.
            > Any ideas welcome.
            > Don m5aky

          • Don Vosper
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 30 8:14 AM
              Bob
              Don't remember seeing any reference to transmit image rejection on the
              software I'm using.
              I'll have another look.
              Don m5aky
            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 30 8:20 AM
                Hi Don,

                Depends on the version, but usually Setup > DSP > Image Rejection

                You can do it by tuning to your signal and monitoring it on another receiver whilst transmitting a single tone. Tune to the 'wrong' sideband and adjust the phase and gain to null the image signal. Takes a little bit of fiddling but usually pretty obvious when you get close.

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Vosper" <don@...> wrote:

                > Bob
                > Don't remember seeing any reference to transmit image rejection on the
                > software I'm using.
                > I'll have another look.
                > Don m5aky

              • Don Vosper
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 30 8:29 AM
                  Thanks Bob, I hadn't looked there.
                  Will give it go shortly.
                  Don m5aky
                • sv1eia
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 30 8:56 AM
                    Don,

                    That DSB Tx you got, comes from the I and Q Tx signals (Left and Right Tx audio) being not quadrature.

                    Either the audio is Mono instead of Stereo (both channels are the same stream, could be a short-circuit between the channels), or Tx is only on Left or on only on Right audio channel(one channel cable got broken, jack and plug are not firmly in place), or the Tx calibration dials needs tweeking.

                    73,
                    Christos SV1EIA

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 30 10:20 AM
                      From: "Don Vosper"
                      Subject: [softrock40] Sideband selection problem.

                      > Had the 6.1 working on transmit mode.
                      > Initial reports suggest that although a good signal I am tansmitting on
                      > both upper and lower sidebands together no matter which one I select.

                      The Softrock should give something like 30dB image rejection before you
                      start adjusting the software. If the TX signals LSB/USB are about the same
                      strength adjustment is not going to work.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • tom loebl
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 30 10:45 AM
                        There is a databse (DBM) file generated by PSDR. I have had it corrupted in the past such that I lost all image suppression. Deleting it and having the software recreate it solved my problem (thanks for that Bob).

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 30 11:09 AM
                          Just done a couple of tests with another receiver  using DSP in setup with  the transmit tone and it looks like the sidebands are reversed on transmit. The adjustments do seem to have some effect.
                          Then had to break for dinner.
                          Don  m5aky

                        • sv1eia
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 30 11:49 AM
                            Then reverse/interchange the connections of Left and Right channel between them.

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Vosper" <don@...> wrote:

                            > Just done a couple of tests with another receiver using DSP in setup with the transmit tone and it looks like the sidebands are reversed on transmit. The adjustments do seem to have some effect.
                            > Then had to break for dinner.
                            > Don m5aky

                          • flyboy_ont
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 30 1:14 PM
                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "allen" <godomzig@...> wrote:

                              > I have searched the internet for the proper tony parks ordering page that shows at least an address to send payments/money orders but to no avail. Do i need a call sign too order these kits ? Need help

                              Try

                              http://www.kb9yig.com/

                              If site shows "Come Back Sooon", nothing is avaiable but check often. He has an email contact link at the top of the page.

                              Ken
                            • Bruce Tanner
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 30 1:23 PM
                                Ken, some people have set Tony's page as their home page so it will show frequency on boot up or just to be handy. It is well worth it stay tuned... If you are not in a hurry it might even make sense to await the new production status of the Ensemble units due some time towards the end of May. They will be the state of the art as far as these kits go.

                                Bruce
                                -----------------

                                On 4/30/2010 4:14 PM, flyboy_ont wrote:

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "allen" <godomzig@.. .> wrote:

                                > I have searched the internet for the proper tony parks ordering page that shows at least an address to send payments/money orders but to no avail. Do i need a call sign too order these kits ? Need help

                                Try

                                http://www.kb9yig. com/

                                If site shows "Come Back Sooon", nothing is avaiable but check often. He has an email contact link at the top of the page.

                                Ken

                                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5076 (20100430) __________

                                http://www.eset.com
                              • flyboy_ont
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 30 1:29 PM
                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                                  > Ken, some people have set Tony's page as their home page so it will show
                                  > frequency on boot up or just to be handy. It is well worth it stay
                                  > tuned... If you are not in a hurry it might even make sense to await the
                                  > new production status of the Ensemble units due some time towards the
                                  > end of May. They will be the state of the art as far as these kits go.
                                  >
                                  > Bruce
                                  > -----------------
                                  >
                                  > On 4/30/2010 4:14 PM, flyboy_ont wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "allen" <godomzig@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I have searched the internet for the proper tony parks ordering page
                                  > > that shows at least an address to send payments/money orders but to no
                                  > > avail. Do i need a call sign too order these kits ? Need help
                                  > > >

                                  > > Try
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.kb9yig.com/ <http://www.kb9yig.com/>
                                  > >
                                  > > If site shows "Come Back Sooon", nothing is avaiable but check often.
                                  > > He has an email contact link at the top of the page.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ken

                                  > > signature database 5076 (20100430) __________

                                  > > http://www.eset.com

                                  I wasn't looking to order I was passing on the order page to Allen the original poster. Thanks anyways Bruce.

                                  Ken
                                • KF5FEO Tom ARRL
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 30 2:13 PM

                                    You have to keep trying his web page http://www.kb9yig.com/ and when he has some kits he will list them.  They sell fast, so keep checking..