Re: [softrock40] Re: Divider stage tests

  • Cliff Kalfaian
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2010
      Thank you both Bob and Robby for getting back to me. I was beginning to suspect my inexpensive DMM might have been reacting oddly. Now that you have pointed out that the voltage at the junction of R44 & R45 is actually a square wave rather than DC, I suppose I might get a different reading on my true RMS reading Fluke. Yes, I do have the CMOS version of U7, and U8 is not installed, nor is R43, and jumper is in place. I guess I should have mentioned all that the first time around. Thanks again,

      Cliff
      N2GYI

      On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:19 AM, R R Robson wrote:

      Cliff:

      Just out of curiosity, what version of the Si570 were you using in your kit: the CMOS version or the LVDS version?

      If you have the CMOS version, then I assume you did NOT install R43 and U8 (FIN 1002) and you DID install the CMOS jumper.

      Bob is right about the approximate nature of these voltage measurements in the presence of all that square AC wave activity on the LO output..
      Another double check you might want to do is to measure the divider IC's voltages at the pin on the ic AND at the pad.  One can often see soldering issues pop out when getting anomalous voltages in the tests.

      However, if you are seeing solid clocking waveforms at the correct frequencies on the divider outputs, you can be fairly well assured that you have met the objectives of this stage.

      tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
      What happens in the shack stays in the shack!
      www.wb5rvz.com