Huff & Puff with an SDR(4,5,6,7)-Experiences?

  • n3hkn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
      Has anyone tried a Huff & Puff controlled oscillator/VFO with one of
      the SDR series kits???? Experiences????

      Dick N3HKN
    • de_n4bb
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried a Huff & Puff controlled oscillator/VFO with one of
        > the SDR series kits???? Experiences????
        >
        > Dick N3HKN

        Dick,

        I have not tried a Huff/Puff VFO, but I have tried the Kanga UVFO with
        an SR5. Some drift (as expected), but the complete lack of spurs is
        just what I was looking for. (I have tried, and discarded for this
        application, the DDS60 (AD9851) and IQPro (AD9854) because of the spur
        problem.) With the supplied 100pF variable, tuning range of the UVFO
        is only about 150 kHz, however.

        Tom, N4BB
      • de_n4bb
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "de_n4bb" <tabaker@...> wrote:

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone tried a Huff & Puff controlled oscillator/VFO with one
          of
          > > the SDR series kits???? Experiences????
          > >
          > > Dick N3HKN
          > >

          > Dick,
          >
          > I have not tried a Huff/Puff VFO, but I have tried the Kanga UVFO
          with
          > an SR5. Some drift (as expected), but the complete lack of spurs
          is
          > just what I was looking for. (I have tried, and discarded for this
          > application, the DDS60 (AD9851) and IQPro (AD9854) because of the
          spur
          > problem.) With the supplied 100pF variable, tuning range of the
          UVFO
          > is only about 150 kHz, however.
          >
          > Tom, N4BB

          Dick,

          A better statement would have been "there are no visible spurs
          (caused by the UVFO) within the dynamic range of my SR5/Winrad
          spectrum display" rather than "the complete lack of spurs". Also, I
          failed to mention that mine is a 20 meter SR5/Winrad application.
          Drift is about 3kHz (down) in the first hour then becomes negligible.

          Tom, N4BB