PSK31 and RTTY with Rocky and SDR

  • Milt Cram
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 1:06 PM
      Hi All,

      I sent the following to Jim Perkins in response to a question he posted
      last week.

      Perhaps others are interested in my solution---

      Jim,

      I don't recall seeing any responses to your question about using PSK and
      RTTY with Rocky.

      Perhaps you need to check out Virtual Audio Cable. I have used it with
      Rocky and Digipan, using a single sound card. The way it works is:
      1) Select your default Sound Card for Rocky's input.
      2) Select "Virtual Cable 1" for the output of Rocky.
      3) Select "Virtual Cable 1" for the input to Digipan.
      4) Select your default Sound Card for the output of Digipan.

      Virtual Audio Cable installs as another audio device. It acts as a
      "pipe" to take digital audio data from one program and feed it into
      another program. In fact, the output of the "pipe" can be sent
      simultaneously to several programs (e.g. oscilloscope, spectrum
      analyzer, DSP filter...). The free download limits you to two "Virtual
      Cables" and superimposes a weak audio signal on the output that
      periodically repeats the word "Trial". The paid version increases the
      number of virtual cables to 16, and eliminates the background voice.

      I have tested the setup with a few different software programs for
      decoding the output of Rocky and the SDR. For example, I have used
      CWGET to decode cw from Rocky. I tested this with the built-in AC97
      card on my Dell Desktop, and with a SoundBlaster Live-External on a
      Compaq Laptop. Any program that allows you to chose the audio input and
      output devices can be used with Virtual Audio Cable.

      What you want to do, can be done with a single soundcard!

      If you have additional questions about my setup, send me an email.

      73, Milt
      W8NUE
      Austin, TX