SV: [softrock40] Re: Fst3251 max frequency ?

  • Flemming Nielsen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi sv1eia

      Datasheet is a god thing but it,s  not always that the data stays with in the specified field.

      Eks. si570 cmos , says 160mhz but I have one there works very well on 250mhz .
      I am  making some mods on the mobo 4,3 for the uhfsdr from wb6dhw . ( when it arrivals ) transformers ,Pa,ect .  The uhfsdr is finnish and works very well.

      One linie to the mobo and one for 2m , but I hope that I can have 4m-6m runnning on the mobo . Maybee also 2m.

      It,s good with some info from some one , there  have been playing with it in praxis !

      Best regards Flemming / oz5agk

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        The typical on time is 2.5 ns, I talked to one of the engineers that worked on that chip and he stated it's more like 1ns to get 90% conduction.

        The main problem with the device is that the turn on time is faster than the turn off time. This makes it have increasing noise with frequency.

        I did some experiments some time back where I had a special clock generator (4 quadrature clocks) that created clocks that had a few ns of space between I and Q  so that a switch could turn off completely before the next turned on and it made a big difference in noise at 10M and 6M.

        At 10:35 AM 4/1/2010, you wrote:

        Hi sv1eia

        Datasheet is a god thing but it,s  not always that the data stays with in the specified field.

        Eks. si570 cmos , says 160mhz but I have one there works very well on 250mhz .
        I am  making some mods on the mobo 4,3 for the uhfsdr from wb6dhw . ( when it arrivals ) transformers ,Pa,ect .  The uhfsdr is finnish and works very well.

        One linie to the mobo and one for 2m , but I hope that I can have 4m-6m runnning on the mobo . Maybee also 2m.

        It,s good with some info from some one , there  have been playing with it in praxis !

        Best regards Flemming / oz5agk

        You can check the datasheet, it specifies something between 6.0ns to 6.5ns on the switching so it seems that it can go around 180MHz (/4 = 45MHz VFO)

        Why do you ask others for something that you can find easily on your own?

        73,
        SV1EIA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "daekt1" <daekt1@...> wrote:

        > Hi !
        >
        > Are there any members of the group who know the max frequency of
        > fst3251 ?
        >

        > 73 vy OZ5AGK / Flemming

        Bruger du Yahoo!?
        Er du træt af spam? Yahoo!Mail har den bedste spambeskyttelse, der findes
        http://dk.mail.yahoo.com

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

      • Flemming Nielsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
          Hi Cecil.

          Thanks for your reply!

          I do not think that noise will be the problem because it only changes the filter and switch between tx and rx, not qsd circuits. . It may be possible at higher frequencies it will have a gain problem but fortunately UHFSDR has a high gain in the RX side. I was concerned about it should have an opamp after the bandpass filter but it is not necessary.

          2m is probably worth a try ! .

          I am a little worry about gain in ( on hf ) , because my antenna is only a 10 m long wire with a ( homemade made ) 1:9 balun to
          ground. Strong signals is not a problem here .With better antennas it maybe will be best with a 10 or 20db attenuator.

          Mobo PCBs are very kombatibelt (if you're a little creative) I have also used v 3.6 with 3. transverters and a separate si570
          pcb . There you must modify  transformer and  component to 28mhz between dbm and the stage to the rx side , and antenna direkt to the transverter pcb.

          This only works on rx side !
          It might be fun to mount the automatic band pass filter from kb9yig in the last of the 4 slots.
          Maybe there will be a gain loss!  2*2 fst32xx .
          I think that I will have a lot of fun with the new mobo!

          We could use a mobo pcb designed for the v 9 only for rx.

          73 vy OZ5AGk / Flemming

          You can check the datasheet, it specifies something between 6.0ns to 6.5ns on the switching so it seems that it can go around 180MHz (/4 = 45MHz VFO)

          Why do you ask others for something that you can find easily on your own?

          73,
          SV1EIA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "daekt1" <daekt1@...> wrote:

          > Hi !
          >
          > Are there any members of the group who know the max frequency of
          > fst3251 ?
          >

          > 73 vy OZ5AGK / Flemming

          Bruger du Yahoo!?
          Er du træt af spam? Yahoo!Mail har den bedste spambeskyttelse, der findes
          http://dk.mail. yahoo.com

          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio. org  www.qrpradio. com

          Bruger du Yahoo!?
          Er du træt af spam? Yahoo!Mail har den bedste spambeskyttelse, der findes
          http://dk.mail.yahoo.com
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
            What was the verdict on the max freq passed through? Did it make it to 600mhz-the or higher?

            Mike KC7NOA