Re: [softrock40] Re: 64-Bit Drivers

  • Russ Hines
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 30, 2010
      Yes, sir, and I still have copies of OS/2 Warp v3 and v4.  So much for betting on "technically superior." ;-)

      With regard to computers, I guess I am an appliance operator.  I can gather and assemble the parts to build a PC, but am woefully programming-code-deficient.  I guess I'd rather homebrew radios than homebrew apps as I need them, or tweak the kernel code to get it to do what I want.  I guess I could learn to do so, I'm just not sure to what end.

      Keep the info flowing, all.  It's very interesting.

      73,
      Russ
      WB8ZCC

      R R Robson wrote:

      Kinda reminds me of the OS/2 vs Windows debates of the early 90s.  OS/2 was clearly technically superior OS of the 2, just as Beta was technically superior to VHS.  OS/2, Beta video, and 8-track audio may be running on some planet, but not this one.

      Linux's major advantages are tied to its cost and to the fact that Linux - from the beginning - was internet-aware.  Windows and its predecessors were very much  latecomers to the internet scene.  If you know how to program in the OS kernel, Linux provides enormous flexibility.  If you don't, the fact that you can (as in you are allowed to) do so is of little value to you.  Since the vast majority of PC users are "appliance" users, Windows is more likely to be something they can work with.

      Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: 64-Bit Drivers

      Great discussion, fellas.  A few comments from a Linux fan who uses Windows...

      I've used Linux, off and on, since Pat Volkerding first posted his Slackware dist back in the mid-90's.  No CD's or BitTorrent then, you could only get it via ftp from sunsite@unc. edu or other such location.  Yes, heady days indeed, and a major pain.  None of which makes me a Linux expert by any means.

      Generally, I've found Linux to be much more robust than just about any version of Windows I've used, dating back to Win 3.1.  Linux was designed from the beginning as a multi-user network-aware OS, a Unix clone for the PC.  When configured correctly, Linux is almost bullet-proof compared to Windows.

      Yet, I continue to use Windows.  The reason is I want to accomplish something.  Today.

      With Windows, there's much more software available to me (most of it commercial and proprietary) to accomplish what I want to do.  With Linux, there's much less software available (most of it free and open or "GPL-ed"), plus I know, with Linux, at some point I'll get mired in OS minutea.   Windows has its share, no doubt.  But it's much easier installing AV software than acquiring the arcane knowledge required to set-up and run a Linux box.  So, for me, that's the deal.

      A few days ago, I asked what Linux SDR apps folks here were using with their SoftRocks.  I've seen quite a number of answers, especially regarding Linux, which leads me to conclude my observations above are still valid.

      BTW, this debate remarkably parallels the VHS/BetaMax debate back in the video-tape format days.  Which begs the question, which one do you use now? ;-)

      73,
      Russ
      WB8ZCC

      Mr Doug - wrote:

      I really believe you have a very biased and unrealistic view of Linux. While it is very hard to estimate the total number of users - http://counter. li.org/ - it is placed at something like 30 million worldwide.

      Just about everyone is a Linux user since it is in-bedded in just about everything we use on a daily basis. Yes it does save a lot of money and yes you do need to have, in most cases, a little more knowledge to use it. Like anything it has a learning curve. If you want to be lead by the hand then it is probably not for you although there are many versions now that do that to a great extent. I have run web, mail, and many other servers under Linux since the early 90's and I have never had a problem that was not easily solved. I cannot imagine doing any of that in an MS operating system. The flexibility is phenomenal.

      Since these OS discussions often go into overload quickly I will make this my last comment on the subject. Suffice to say I am not an only Linux or die person. I use both MS and Linux and both have their place. I just think that we have to realize there are a heck of a lot more Linux users out there then you think and they need support in the SDR community also.

      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 31, 2010
        Yep, I was aware of OS/2 use in ATM's.  Most of those have been replaced in our area, to a form of embedded Linux (my guess... I happened to see one reboot after a maintenance period and I could have sworn I saw X start up).

        Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

        On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 18:30 -0700, Gary Stern wrote:

        > Don't feel too bad Russ,
        >
        > I am actually still running 2 x OS/2 Warp v3 machines !!

        You probably use an OS/2 machine every day. Many ATMs have gone over to
        Windows XP now (why, ffs?) but it will be a long, long time before all
        the OS/2 is gone from banks ;-)

        Gordon MM0YEQ

        http://www.eset.com