PSK without using VAC - acoustic coupling

  • skarbows
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 6:48 PM
      I have a RXTX6.3 using PSDR in an unsupported two sound card setup; a USB SB Surround Sound for IQ and an internal SoundMax card for speaker/mic using VAC in PSDR. Standard stuff - works well on SSB. I've been trying to get Fldigi to work using external VAC (4.10) with only limited success. Long delays, crackling, and very poor PSK print. Quite by accident today, with PSDR VAC set to normal receive (no virtual cable) and Fldigi set to capture on the internal sound card, I was getting superb print! My mic was picking up speaker audio and decoding it it perfectly. So I move the mic to in front of the speaker and tried transmit. Nice transmit with good IMD as monitored on another radio/computer. I made a few PSK contacts like this at 200mW. Is anyone else doing this? I'm think of making a "patch" cable with a small box that contains a mic and a speaker. This seems to work much better than external VAC. Am I nuts?

      Dave
      kx3dx