Re: [softrock40] Re: Rocky Set Up

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 13 9:23 PM
    Roy, I may have been able to duplicate what you have described. Two screen shots are attached. One with the USB driver installed, the other is without it installed. What I did with the one not installed was basically to turn off the power to the Softrock so basically what you are seeing there is the effect of my sound interface which is an Edirol FA-66 external USB device. Make sure that you have the USB driver installed and have power to your Softrock. This may have been fixed but earlier it was important to power up the Softrock before inserting the USB connection. You might follow that procedure just in case.

    Good luck!

    Bruce

    On 3/14/2010 12:13 AM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

     I assume you are using the USB-I2C or  equivalent for tuning. Have you installed the driver for that. If so it should show up in your  'device manage' with the 'DG5SAQ USB' designation. If you so not  have that installed you may not be getting control of the tuning and that can do some strange things. Be sure the TX function is turned off in the TX tab. I have not been able to duplicate what you are describing here so far. I am not familiar with our sound systems but it seems that they should be adequate to the task. What about the two issues above?

    Bruce
    ------------ -----

    On 3/13/2010 11:30 PM, user8354 wrote:

    Bruce,

    I can describe in a lot of detail. But let me cut it down for this reply.

    I downloaded latest Rocky. V3.6. I have tried to install Rocky on 4 different computers. With internal sound card only, and with add on internal cards. Even without the softfrock attached, one sees this spur. I have muted all the inputs, no difference. Op systems are Win 2000 and XP with all the service packs. I have clicked all the buttons in the program that you talk about. I know what a ground loop 'bump' should look like but the interference I am talking about is a 'maxed out' display, like there is some undesired feedback, output to input. It reads like 80 to 100db amplitude off the baseline. Similar to a PA system when you put the mike in front of the speaker. Limited on the display somewhat by the bandwidth you select. ie narrower for cw. etc. If I move considerably off the center frequency and use a signal generator, I can actually see signals on the display. I have received a few on the air signals as well. But the sensitivity is diminished by the overpowering disturbance around the center frequency. The phase and amplitude graph never generates any data, apparently overpowered by this undesired signal or oscillation.

    Softrock I am using is v9 lite, 20m option. But all this commotion on the computer occurs even without the softrock attached. I can't even get Rocky to behave so I can attach the softrock.

    There has to be something drastically wrong with the software setup.
    The same problem occurs on all the computers I have tested so far.
    How can this be? There must be some common installation error.

    I have a soundblaster card in this computer, and use it daily to play, record and edit music and other audio chores. Runs flawlessly. Apparently it doesn't like Rocky.

    Any clues? I don't want to take up a lot of space on this group. I can send more details privately if you wish. Maybe a photo of the display.

    Thanks, Roy W5TCX

    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4942 (20100313) __________

    http://www.eset. com

    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4942 (20100313) __________

    http://www.eset.com
  • Larry C
    Message 57 of 57 , Mar 16 9:59 AM
      Good Idea,
      I will make up some shielded cables, that 1/8 stereo plug is something thats not in my junkbox.
      Thanks