Re: [softrock40] SDR-Radio 1E problem

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
      Alan, I was going to submit a couple of new files but the task was foiled. I did take the tuner out of the line so I could get better signals. Both software programs then provided plenty of comfortable listening with signals well above the noise level. When I attempted to 'play' the file recorded from SDR Radio, for some reason, my Windows media squawked with an error that it could not play the file. I made another and the same thing occurred. What is really strange is that it had played the files from that program earlier with no problem. One of the new found mysteries of Windows 7, I guess.

      At any rate, and for what it is worth. I tuned my IC-756 Pro II in to WILX, noted the S-meter reading at +30 over S-9 on the 204 foot, G5RV. I then calibrated PSDR-IQ to that S-meter reading which also then gave an S-9 +30db. I then closed PSDR-IQ and loaded SDR Radio tuned to the same station and with the same antenna, no tuner in line. The S-meter on that program did not move above S-5. I really don't think that means much as Simon does not seem to have that calibrated yet anyway. I can change the functioning of the S-meter simply by changing the 'scope bandwidth' from one setting to another. In any of those settings I was hearing the WILX signal well above S-9 according to the proverbial, calibrated ear drum.

      Having said all that, I still cannot explain the differences in the status of the 'weak signals' provided while the tuner was in line. In both of those cases the system setup was identical. I do not know, however, if there were setting in SDR Radio which should have been made to optimize reception with that software. I also am not aware of features and tweaks which may be needed and have not yet been installed in the development of the software which Simon will yet come up with.

      Long story short... it is far too early to make such comparisons and I offer my apologies to both programmers for having done so at this time. Hopefully, it will be useful feedback some where along the line.

      Bruce, K2BET