Re: [softrock40] Stop spammer

  • LARRY SALETZKI
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi Joe,

      Just set up your mail program so if it sees that email address or just the name it automatically gets deleated.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
        At 09:07 AM 3/2/2010, you wrote:

        I went to Yahoo "contact us" and ask them to help us identify who the moderator was.
        I hoping that we can some how get a new moderator so we can put an end to this nonsense.
        I don't know if this will help, but it is worth a try.
        I will let everyone know if I can get any results.

        73, Tom

        www.km5h.com
        www.softrockradio.org/si570

        On a previous list Yahoo would not reveal who the moderator was, but maybe things have changed, hope it works out.

        It appears that this list is not moderated. I doubt if anyone will fix the problem.  I check mail on my account at work and cannot have all of this garbage showing up in my email.

        Also…and I know I will get flamed for this but, the QRM on this list is the highest of any that I am subscribed to.

        I hate to leave the list but it is not for me to determine the QRM level. If it is too much, I always have the choice of leaving.

        Joe

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
          At 09:19 AM 3/2/2010, you wrote:
          >At 09:06 AM 3/2/2010, you wrote:

          > > > No moderators possible because there is apparently no
          > > administrator/owner any more to put those people in place :-(
          > >

          > >We had this problem with another group (Degen/Kaito DE1103), and I
          > >simply formed a new group that I moderated properly. I'm not
          > >volunteering (I already run several groups), but someone else should.
          > >
          > >Leon
          > >--
          > >G1HSM
          > >http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/
          >
          >I have been member of several sites where the moderator was anonymous
          >(like this one) and just walked off, eventually the list disintegrated.
          >
          >Before anyone starts forming another list in my book it would need
          >two qualities;
          >1. Public disclose of the moderators.
          >2. Multiple moderators so the list is not hostage to someone walking off.
          >
          >I would not mind creating a substitute group and doing the work where
          >new users are moderated until they prove that their comments are
          >related, but conditions 1 and 2 must apply. Personally I think it's a
          >little premature to abandon ship.
          >

          >Cecil
          >K5NWA
          >www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
          >
          >"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

          Just in case I registered the Group "Soft-Rocks" in case it becomes
          bad with the Spam but like is mentioned above it needs to be a
          multiple person effort to insure continuity.

          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

        • Preston Douglas
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
            Cecil's creation of an alternate list is much appreciated, and his suggestion that we keep it on standby is also appreciated.  He also wisely said that we shouldn't jump to change to another list over a few spams from a single sender.  All of us who take this list by individual messages can send this single spammer's address to their spam folder relatively easily.  Even AOL has this provision.  On the other hand, those who use a digest won't generally be able to filter the digest, and that's one of the problems.

            So, let's see how it goes, as Cecil suggested.  And thank you, Cecil for your efforts and for your contribution to SDR and SoftRocks in general--they are appreciated by all of us who have learned from you.

            Preston Douglas WJ2V

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
              FYI, I am mostly a lurker here, but Yahoo's policy HAS somewhat
              changed over time. They will now, under certain circumstances,
              appoint a new "owner" to a group that has been abandoned by its
              previous owner/moderators, giving him/her the rights to fix a group
              and appoint new moderators.

              But it takes patience to do this.

              And I'm not sure if it is official Yahoo policy yet, or if you just
              need to get lucky, reach the right people at Yahoo, and do a good job
              of convincing them. I know about a year ago I read they were
              discussing it as a possible official policy.

              They will probably want the group to conduct a Poll (running for a
              week or more) to select a new owner.

              I'd be willing to help out, but as a mostly-lurker, I might not be the
              best choice.

              By the way, anyone can attempt to contact the group's current owner
              and moderators, by addressing an email to "softrock40-owner @
              yahoogroups.com" (without the spaces).

              Regards,
              Andy
            • Andy
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                One nice thing about the latest rash of spam, is that MOST of it does
                not come addressed to "softrock40" in the TO or CC fields. They must
                be using the hidden BCC function.

                That makes it easy to filter most of it on my end (has "Softrock40" in
                the subject but not in the to: or cc: fields).

                Andy
              • windigofer
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                  If an alternate group is set up, I am willing to work as a co-moderator if necessary; I've managed a fairly large Yahoogroups site which was under deliberate attack by spammers and trolls (which we did successfully spammer- and troll-proof).

                  Another alternative is Google Groups; GoogleGroups doesn't have the issues with spam that YahooGroups lists that aren't completely locked down do (and sadly, a live moderator AND locking down the group IS pretty much mandatory for YahooGroups mailinglists at this point; the default protocols aren't robust, and spammers are documented to have defeated most "captcha" mechanisms). The tools for evaluating new users do seem to be a bit more robust.

                  I can also note that whilst multiple Gmail addresses are being used (and ALL of these should be reported to abuse@... with full headers), ALL of the spam so far (with one solitary exception) is coming from a single Yahoo profile at soha.ali89@... (which actually does give us some useful intel on how Yahoogroups spammers work; using a single Yahoo ident, but multiple throwaway Gmail and Hotmail addresses).

                  One thing I can DEFINITELY recommend is to go to the profile of the spammer (http://profiles.yahoo.com/soha.ali89@...) and file complaints to Yahoo Abuse (for category "Where" select "Other", for "What" select "Spam or fraud", and in description note the massive spamming of softrock40 (and probably multiple other groups, seeing as they're spamming via BCC header) via throwaway free email accounts.
                • Bruce Tanner
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                    I follow the [dxatlas] group on Yahoo and have recently seen one of these Spam messages there as well, but different address....

                    bet
                    --------------------

                    On 3/2/2010 9:23 AM, windigofer wrote:

                    If an alternate group is set up, I am willing to work as a co-moderator if necessary; I've managed a fairly large Yahoogroups site which was under deliberate attack by spammers and trolls (which we did successfully spammer- and troll-proof) .

                    Another alternative is Google Groups; GoogleGroups doesn't have the issues with spam that YahooGroups lists that aren't completely locked down do (and sadly, a live moderator AND locking down the group IS pretty much mandatory for YahooGroups mailinglists at this point; the default protocols aren't robust, and spammers are documented to have defeated most "captcha" mechanisms). The tools for evaluating new users do seem to be a bit more robust.

                    I can also note that whilst multiple Gmail addresses are being used (and ALL of these should be reported to abuse@gmail. com with full headers), ALL of the spam so far (with one solitary exception) is coming from a single Yahoo profile at soha.ali89@ymail. com (which actually does give us some useful intel on how Yahoogroups spammers work; using a single Yahoo ident, but multiple throwaway Gmail and Hotmail addresses).

                    One thing I can DEFINITELY recommend is to go to the profile of the spammer (http://profiles. yahoo.com/ soha.ali89@ ymail.com) and file complaints to Yahoo Abuse (for category "Where" select "Other", for "What" select "Spam or fraud", and in description note the massive spamming of softrock40 (and probably multiple other groups, seeing as they're spamming via BCC header) via throwaway free email accounts.

                  • Andy
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                      > ... GoogleGroups doesn't have the issues with spam that YahooGroups lists
                      > that aren't completely locked down do ...

                      I would have agreed with you on that, but one of the Google groups I belong
                      to, has been hit with regular spam in the last few weeks, and it seems the
                      moderator(s) there have gone AWOL. So I think it is just as susceptible.
                      It's just a matter of how things are set up in each group. But Yahoogroups
                      do seem to be better targets for the spammers.

                      Most important is having at least one live person in control of the group.

                      I still think there might be an Owner/Moderator here, who checks in every
                      day or two and cleans up the damage when it happens. This group had spam
                      before, and it always stopped, which is uncharacteristic unless someone
                      intervened. Not only that, but those earlier messages aren't there anymore
                      in the list archives.

                      In fact, yesterday's spam seems to be cleaned up already! Unless I'm
                      mistaken, the only people who can delete messages, are the person who sent
                      it (unlikely), or a Moderator.

                      Andy
                    • EB4APL
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                        If you look at the header, all this spam have in common:

                        So you can set a filter which marks them as trash and send them to the
                        right basket. Just a line in the Thunderbird filtering utility.

                        Regards,
                        Ignacio, EB4APL

                        Bruce Tanner wrote:

                        > I follow the [dxatlas] group on Yahoo and have recently seen one of
                        > these Spam messages there as well, but different address....
                        >
                        > bet
                        > --------------------
                        >
                        > On 3/2/2010 9:23 AM, windigofer wrote:
                        >

                        >> If an alternate group is set up, I am willing to work as a
                        >> co-moderator if necessary; I've managed a fairly large Yahoogroups
                        >> site which was under deliberate attack by spammers and trolls (which
                        >> we did successfully spammer- and troll-proof).
                        >>
                        >> Another alternative is Google Groups; GoogleGroups doesn't have the
                        >> issues with spam that YahooGroups lists that aren't completely locked
                        >> down do (and sadly, a live moderator AND locking down the group IS
                        >> pretty much mandatory for YahooGroups mailinglists at this point; the
                        >> default protocols aren't robust, and spammers are documented to have
                        >> defeated most "captcha" mechanisms). The tools for evaluating new
                        >> users do seem to be a bit more robust.
                        >>
                        >> I can also note that whilst multiple Gmail addresses are being used
                        >> (and ALL of these should be reported to abuse@...
                        >> <mailto:abuse%40gmail.com> with full headers), ALL of the spam so far
                        >> (with one solitary exception) is coming from a single Yahoo profile
                        >> at soha.ali89@... <mailto:soha.ali89%40ymail.com> (which
                        >> actually does give us some useful intel on how Yahoogroups spammers
                        >> work; using a single Yahoo ident, but multiple throwaway Gmail and
                        >> Hotmail addresses).
                        >>
                        >> One thing I can DEFINITELY recommend is to go to the profile of the
                        >> spammer (http://profiles.yahoo.com/soha.ali89@...
                        >> <http://profiles.yahoo.com/soha.ali89@...>) and file complaints
                        >> to Yahoo Abuse (for category "Where" select "Other", for "What"
                        >> select "Spam or fraud", and in description note the massive spamming
                        >> of softrock40 (and probably multiple other groups, seeing as they're
                        >> spamming via BCC header) via throwaway free email accounts.
                        >>

                        > <mailto:bet110@...?subject=Re:%20%5Bsoftrock40%5D%20Re:%20Stop%20spammer>
                      • Sudipta Ghose
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Hi all,
                          This spammer is also active in a Motorola Software group. A real nuisance.
                          Kindly keep me advised if an alternate group is arranged or otherwise.
                          Kind regards,
                          Sudipta Ghose,
                          Kolkata
                          India

                          On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

[...]

                          One of those ... ...
                        • Gary Marklund - KJ7RT
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                            There was previous mention that this list appears to be set up so that
                            new members need to be approved prior to being granted membership. This
                            is very easy to do as there is a web site that form
                            moderators/administrators can use to determine with a high degree of
                            accuracy whether the applicant is a spammer. I can provide that site
                            address if the moderator/administrator so desires. I am an
                            administrator on a forum that was constantly being attacked by spammers.
                            This one simple step fixed the problem

                            I'm not a heavy duty poster here, but do very much enjoy this group and
                            have a nice stream of Softrock kits to build and my Mobo order is in the
                            queue. I would hate to see this turned into a forum with a lot of
                            structure and administrative overhead. A mailing list is much easier on
                            the end-user, especially from a navigation standpoint. We have a good
                            set up here, all we need is a bit of up-front control.

                            Just one person's opinion.

                            Gary

                            KJ7RT
                            Sun City, AZ USA
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2, 2010
                              From: "Gary Marklund -
                              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Stop spammer

                              >I would hate to see this turned into a forum with a lot of
                              > structure and administrative overhead. A mailing list is much easier on
                              > the end-user, especially from a navigation standpoint. We have a good
                              > set up here, all we need is a bit of up-front control.
                              >
                              > Just one person's opinion.

                              Mine, as well. I do not like Forums.

                              I have long felt that the moderator of this group lurks in the background,
                              preferring to remain anonymous. This last bit went on for longer than usual.
                              Most have just been single posts followed by many protests.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • m0fmt
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010

                                > From: "Gary Marklund -
                                > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Stop spammer
                                >

                                > >I would hate to see this turned into a forum with a lot of
                                > > structure and administrative overhead. A mailing list is much easier on
                                > > the end-user, especially from a navigation standpoint. We have a good
                                > > set up here, all we need is a bit of up-front control.
                                > >
                                > > Just one person's opinion.
                                > >

                                > Mine, as well. I do not like Forums.
                                >
                                > I have long felt that the moderator of this group lurks in the background,
                                > preferring to remain anonymous. This last bit went on for longer than usual.
                                > Most have just been single posts followed by many protests.
                                >
                                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                I agree.

                                Freewheeling.

                                Petefmt
                              • Tom Hoflich
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010
                                  Believe it or not, I got an answer from Yahoo (maybe you would call it a non answer).
                                   "Due to our Privacy Policy, we cannot appoint a new owner/moderator to
                                  the group. If the owner cannot be contacted, one alternative is for you
                                  to create your own group and send out invitations to those people who
                                  you would like to join your new group."

                                  I have heard several comments that there may be an anonymous moderator who is taking care of things after all.  For me Yahoo put these in the Spam folder automatically after the first one or two so it was not a big problem for me.
                                  So I don't know what further action I can take. I guess we will just have to live with it.

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010

                                    Google seems more friendly with group management than yahoo.  Perhaps we should move to a google based group?

                                    Alan – W6ARH

                                    > >I would hate to see this turned into a forum with a lot of
                                    > > structure and administrative overhead. A mailing list is much easier
                                    on
                                    > > the end-user, especially from a navigation standpoint. We have a good
                                    > > set up here, all we need is a bit of up-front control.
                                    > >
                                    > > Just one person's opinion.
                                    > >

                                    > Mine, as well. I do not like Forums.
                                    >
                                    > I have long felt that the moderator of this group lurks in the background,
                                    > preferring to remain anonymous. This last bit went on for longer than
                                    usual.
                                    > Most have just been single posts followed by many protests.
                                    >
                                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                    I agree.

                                    Freewheeling.

                                    Petefmt

                                    Diet Help
                                    Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.

                                  • Leon Heller
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010
                                      On 03/03/2010 17:04, Tom Hoflich wrote:
                                      > Believe it or not, I got an answer from Yahoo (maybe you would call it a non answer).
                                      > "Due to our Privacy Policy, we cannot appoint a new owner/moderator to the group. If the owner cannot be contacted, one alternative is for you
                                      > to create your own group and send out invitations to those people who
                                      > you would like to join your new group."
                                      >
                                      > I have heard several comments that there may be an anonymous moderator who is taking care of things after all. For me Yahoo put these in the Spam folder automatically after the first one or two so it was not a big problem for me.
                                      > So I don't know what further action I can take. I guess we will just have to live with it.

                                      That was the response I got a few years ago about the DE1103 group I
                                      mentioned. The best solution is to form a new group.

                                      Leon
                                      --
                                      Leon Heller
                                      G1HSM
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010
                                        If all of the postings to this group are archived from day one it might give you a clue as to who started the group. Bound to be amongst the earliest postings.
                                        Don m5aky

                                      • k5nwa
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 3, 2010
                                          Every time I have joined a Google group it was followed by boatloads of SPAM to the point I had to delete the email account. Maybe they don't do it anymore but I like my email addresses so I will not join Google anything.