Re: [softrock40] Re: An Idea, tell me what you think:

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
      There is already a kit available that uses a knob to control the Si570 chip;
      < http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html >

      It works well and it's configurable.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
        Thanks for your input, Cecil. I'm not trying to compete with Tony, and at his prices I don't think anyone could. I see this concept as somewhat complimentary to what Tony's doing. I'll check out Diz's website. The URL sounds a lot like Dan's Small Parts and Kits. Same guy?

        73,
        Pete, NI9N
        www.lazydogengineering.com
        www.garage-shoppe.com
        Inconveniently located 110 km. from Radioville

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

        > 4321`At 11:38 AM 3/1/2010, you wrote:
        > >This is all very approximate and subject to change, but with some
        > >analysis behind it. I think a set of modules to build a basic,
        > >crystal-controlled SDR (motherboard, filter, qsd, LO, and audio)
        > >could be sold, as assembled modules, for about $105. As kits,
        > >$65. As boards with bill of materials and assembly notes online, $50.
        > >
        > >To upgrade to a multiband radio, add a microcontroller module, and
        > >replace the oscillator and single-band filter with a DDS and
        > >multiband filter. Cost: about $100 assembled, $60 as kits, and $20
        > >for just the boards.
        > >
        > >Am I in the ballpark?
        >
        > I don't know if you are familiar with Diz but he offers a set of
        > small boards to build conventional receivers and they're fairly
        > popular. So the concept is good, but the price may be an issue, a
        > small SoftRock sells for $13 from Tony.
        >
        > < http://partsandkits.com/rftoolkits.php >
        >
        > Most of the DDS chips that are reasonably inexpensive have a lot of
        > spur issues that is why the SI570 is in use, another plus is that the
        > output is already in digital form. when you can see the spectrum the
        > spurs is a big turnoff.
        >

        > Cecil
        > K5NWA
        > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
        >
        > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

      • Dave - WB6DHW
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
          Mark:
          I make a couple of boards you might be interested in.
          My 995x board will accept an AD9951, AD9952, AD9953, or AD9954. My 9912
          board will take an AD9912. Both have a PIC18F2550 with all unused I/O
          pins brought out to headers. With a bootloader burned into the chip, all
          firmware updates can be done over the USB bus.
          Buck Ewing has written firmware to make the 995x into a stand alone
          generator. Since I still haven't had a chance(I have the programs) to
          test it out, I have not pushed it yet. Buck is also working on similar
          firmware for the 9912 board. Both use a rotary encoder for tuning. If
          you are interested, I can send you a copy of the software.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>

        • k5nwa
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
            At 12:43 PM 3/1/2010, you wrote:

            >Directly, nothing. Indirectly, the idea is to facilitate learning
            >about and experimentation with SDRs. That's why Tony started the
            >Softrock project, as I understand it, and it seems to be what this
            >group is about. I hope no one objects, because I certainly don't
            >want to step on anyone's toes.
            >
            >I've been reading a lot of discussion about things like audio and
            >USB isolation, different synthesizer configurations, different QSD
            >configurations, etc. It seems like it would be nice to be able to
            >try out a different QSD, let's say, without building a whole
            >radio. That's what I'd like to facilitate. Seems consistent with
            >this group, but if the group says otherwise, I'll drop the subject.
            >
            >73,
            >Pete, NI9N
            >www.garage-shoppe.com
            >www.lazydogengineering.com
            >Inconveniently located 110 km. from Radioville

            There are many ways to skin the cat, I have been experimenting with
            the detector lately and have found some interesting ways to implement
            the mixer, it works at much higher frequencies than the standard
            SoftRock mixer, I'm getting good results at 2M at present and the
            scheme could work at much higher frequencies (GHz), I'm not finished
            but I already have a scheme that might work even better. Having
            modules would speed the development up versus chopping up SoftRocks.

            I'm not sure how many in this group are actively working on
            improvements , I would guess that most are passengers for the ride
            but having the modules available might make more participate in
            trying out new things, the more the merrier.

            Cecil
            K5NWA
            www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

          • Larry Acklin
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
              I second that emotion.

              a "Lego" approach would let one concentrate on the area of innovation, letting the other modules work as appliances.  How many of us care about the PC we design great programs for?

              Well, you know what I mean- I don't hand build a speaker to listen to music.

              Larry

              On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

              At 12:43 PM 3/1/2010, you wrote:

              >Directly, nothing. Indirectly, the idea is to facilitate learning
              >about and experimentation with SDRs. That's why Tony started the
              >Softrock project, as I understand it, and it seems to be what this
              >group is about. I hope no one objects, because I certainly don't
              >want to step on anyone's toes.
              >
              >I've been reading a lot of discussion about things like audio and
              >USB isolation, different synthesizer configurations, different QSD
              >configurations, etc. It seems like it would be nice to be able to
              >try out a different QSD, let's say, without building a whole
              >radio. That's what I'd like to facilitate. Seems consistent with
              >this group, but if the group says otherwise, I'll drop the subject.
              >
              >73,
              >Pete, NI9N
              >www.garage-shoppe.com
              >www.lazydogengineering.com
              >Inconveniently located 110 km. from Radioville

              There are many ways to skin the cat, I have been experimenting with
              the detector lately and have found some interesting ways to implement
              the mixer, it works at much higher frequencies than the standard
              SoftRock mixer, I'm getting good results at 2M at present and the
              scheme could work at much higher frequencies (GHz), I'm not finished
              but I already have a scheme that might work even better. Having
              modules would speed the development up versus chopping up SoftRocks.

              I'm not sure how many in this group are actively working on
              improvements , I would guess that most are passengers for the ride
              but having the modules available might make more participate in
              trying out new things, the more the merrier.

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi Pete,

                Relating that to the Softrock... Frankly you would be reinventing the wheel. IMO there wouldn't be demand to make money from it. A Softrock backplane has been discussed many times.

                If you like to form a group to redesign the same technology as the SR6.3+MoBo V4.3 combination, good luck, see you in 2 years!

                Personally I'd like to see a backplane version of the technology as you describe, but it has to have the support of all parties. Perhaps the time for it will be after the SDR-Widget project is mature?

                Cheers,
                Rob
                (M0RZF)

              • ijdownie@optusnet.com.au
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010

                  It sounds to me like you are re inventing a PICASTAR, or do you have something quite different in mind?

                  Ian

                • Peter Johnson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Hi  Ian.

                    I don't think so.
                    Already built one.

                    Regards Peter F1VKK

                    On 02/03/2010 12:07:54, ijdownie@... wrote:
                    > It sounds to me like you are re inventing a PICASTAR, or do you
                    have
                    > something quite different in mind?
                    > Ian

                  • Pete Goodmann
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010

                      After a very quick, cursory look, I think what I have in mind is significantly different and more versatile.  I take a more in-depth look at PICASTAR and let you know.

                      73,

                      Pete, NI9N

                      Lazy Dog Engineering LLC

                      www.lazydogengineering.com

                      www.garage-shoppe.com

                    • genesysltduk
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Johnson" <m1bcv@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Ian.
                        >
                        > I don't think so.
                        > Already built one.
                        >
                        > Regards Peter F1VKK

                        And a softrock as a panadaptor for it is very useful :-)

                        Duncan
                        G4ELJ
                      • Lieuwe De Vries
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                          A similar project?

                          At 11:36 AM 3/1/2010, you wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > This is the first building block we need.
                          > >

                          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Peter" pete@ wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Would there be demand for a small line of SDR building-block
                          > kits? What I'm thinking of is perhaps a motherboard with RF, IF,
                          > and USB connectors as well as a power supply, and headers to accept
                          > interchangeable filter boards, interchangeable QSD or I/Q mixer
                          > boards, interchangeable LO boards, interchangeable audio, USB
                          > isolator, perhaps a digitizer, etc. Probably would use surface
                          > mount parts throughout, but would allow staged assembly, and a
                          > newbie could buy some blocks assembled and others as kits, and
                          > would be able to try out surface mount techniques without risking a
                          > large, expensive project. It would also allow for low-cost
                          > experimentation with different approches to LO, QSD, interface,
                          > etc. Would something like this be worthwhile?

                        • Loftur Jónasson
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Hi all,

                            Just to chime with my two cents :)

                            > There is a "black hole" in the ham kit/product market it is the
                            VFO.
                            > What is needed is a VFO kit (DDS or Si570-based) with an actual
                            > "spinner" knob that covers near DC through 120 MHz (for divide by
                            four
                            > PC-based SDR's) or at least near DC through 75MHz for dual
                            conversion
                            > superhets with 45MHz first IF and 455kHz second IF. There is
                            nothing
                            > like this out there. We have ADI9834/5-based knob VFO's that go
                            through
                            > 34MHz or 21MHz with pretty lousy SFDR, then there are the AD99XX
                            DDS's,
                            > expensive and I don't know of one with a tuning knob.
                            >
                            > Yes I know about KB5CQ's Si570 tuner/display, it is not a
                            "spinner".

                            The firmware developed for the Mobo 4.3 includes a rotary encoder enabled, variable speed VFO.  The firmware, while tailored towards the Softrock 6.3 / Mobo 4.3, can easily be adapted to any other platform, and all source code is free for use and rework, as long as it is not for commercial purposes.  What I'm alluding at, is that if anyone wants to make a standalone VFO project based on the Si570, then you are welcome to use the Mobo 4.3 firmware as a base.  It runs on any Atmel 8bit USB enabled Microcontroller (AT90USBxxx, ATmega32Ux..., virtually unchanged.  Only addition needed is a Si570 and a decent Rotary Encoder and a nice heavy VFO knob.

                            http://groups.google.com/group/MOBOKITS (you need to be registered, but anyone is welcome)

                            http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/mobo4_3

                            The SDR Widget project which has also been mentioned a few times here on the softrock40 list, will include the full Mobo 4.3 firmware functionality, in addition to being a high quality 192kb/s 24 bit audio card, eliminating the need for anything other than one USB connection between the SDR and the PC.  Who knows, it may also evolve into providing direct DSP audio processing, we'll see :))
                            This project, while still in its infancy, already has a working USB composite device consisting of a set of DG8SAQ/Serial/HID/Audio devices (no small feat, singlehandedly by Alex, 9V1AL).  As this is a volunteer group effort by a number of dedicated radioamateurs, we expect to have a working configuration ready in a few months.  Ohh, and yes, it includes a VFO :))

                            http:/groups.google.com/group/SDR-WIDGET

                            73 de Loftur, ve/tf3lj

                            A similar project?

                            At 11:36 AM 3/1/2010, you wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > This is the first building block we need.
                            > >

                            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Peter" pete@ wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Would there be demand for a small line of SDR building-block
                            > kits? What I'm thinking of is perhaps a motherboard with RF, IF,
                            > and USB connectors as well as a power supply, and headers to accept
                            > interchangeable filter boards, interchangeable QSD or I/Q mixer
                            > boards, interchangeable LO boards, interchangeable audio, USB
                            > isolator, perhaps a digitizer, etc. Probably would use surface
                            > mount parts throughout, but would allow staged assembly, and a
                            > newbie could buy some blocks assembled and others as kits, and
                            > would be able to try out surface mount techniques without risking a
                            > large, expensive project. It would also allow for low-cost
                            > experimentation with different approches to LO, QSD, interface,
                            > etc. Would something like this be worthwhile?

                          • Chris Albertson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                              Maybe all that is required is a better knob. Software can connect the
                              knob to any existing VFO. There are some very nice mechanical
                              controls with computer interfaces

                              http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate

                              http://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-SpaceNavigator-3D-Navigation-3DX-700029/dp/B000LB41BM/ref=pd_sim_e_3

                              http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Contour Design/004970/

                              Another general purpose controller that I think would work well for
                              radio is this

                              http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-Nano-KONTROL?sku=703401&ZYXSEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2

                              --
                              =====
                              Chris Albertson
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                                I think Kanga US has a 1-100 Mhz DDS.....

                                73 de N4MVL Lee

                                > There is a "black hole" in the ham kit/product market it is the VFO.
                                > What is needed is a VFO kit (DDS or Si570-based) with an actual
                                > "spinner" knob that covers near DC through 120 MHz (for divide by four
                                > PC-based SDR's) or at least near DC through 75MHz for dual conversion
                                > superhets with 45MHz first IF and 455kHz second IF. There is nothing
                                > like this out there. We have ADI9834/5-based knob VFO's that go through
                                > 34MHz or 21MHz with pretty lousy SFDR, then there are the AD99XX DDS's,
                                > expensive and I don't know of one with a tuning knob.
                                >
                                > Yes I know about KB5CQ's Si570 tuner/display, it is not a "spinner".

                                ___

                              • drmail377
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 15, 2010
                                  Hi Lee,

                                  Yes, I forgot about the DDSV4. I've been in-touch with Kanga US (a Distributor) and the manufacturer, Dick at www.rmt-tech.com. The DDSV4 is a "spinner" and can go through 160MHz. Pre-built around $120 USD. Not bad considering the VFO's are seemingly built by hand in batches (labor costs must be considered) on a demand basis. Dick has been very straightforward about availability. The Beauty of the DDSV4 is that in the spirit of Ham innovation, the source code and schematics are available and relatively unencumbered. Kudos to the DDSV4 project! There's a lot of old docs regarding the DDSV4 on distributor sites, go to Dick to get the latest. The DDS reference clock is now no longer +/-100ppm as in some old docs. Much better now. Looks like a winner.