softrock troubleshooting a ringing and

  • Jimmy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      I have managed to put together a 40M version of the softrock but haven't been able to hear any signals. I can see where I have 5v on pin 1 of the ICs, and can't see any cold solder joints, bridges, etc. When I plug the device into the computer I see a couple of spikes along the band but they only seem to be ringing noises which sounds more like OPAMP noise than signals. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot it (signal tracing, etc.)?

      Thanks in advanced!
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        From: "Jimmy"
        Subject: [softrock40] softrock troubleshooting a ringing and

        >I have managed to put together a 40M version of the softrock but haven't
        >been able to hear any signals. I can see where I have 5v on pin 1 of the
        >ICs,

        You don't say which version. I hope you mean pins 8/14/16 those are the +ve.

        >and can't see any cold solder joints, bridges, etc. When I plug the device
        >into the computer I see a couple of spikes along the band but they only
        >seem to be ringing noises

        Have you go the soundcard set properly?
        Can you hear the oscillator on a RX?
        Have you looked at Robby's pages?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jimmy
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          Sorry folks, I left out an important piece of information.I am building a v.5 Softrock 40 on 40M.

          I will test the oscillator on a rx or spectrum analyzer later today and give you an update.

          Also, what is Robby's webpage? I have the docs for the v.5 that are posted on this site but don't have any other info.

          Jim
          WD4INX

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            From: "Jimmy"
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: softrock troubleshooting a ringing - UPDATE

            > Sorry folks, I left out an important piece of information.I am building a
            > v.5 Softrock 40 on 40M.

            Ah! Somewhat different to current ones!

            > Also, what is Robby's webpage? I have the docs for the v.5 that are
            > posted on this site but don't have any other info.

            Robby is, like me, a youngster in Softrock terms. He does some really nice
            "Heathkit" type construction pages but not as early as a V5.

            After checking the oscillator works you may have to go over the chips taking
            voltage readings and report back.