Do try the softrock barefoot

  • djch-yahoo@whabbit.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
      If you've got a softrock tx/rx, don't be afraid to try it (on data) barefoot. I run a 6.2 on 30m to a 1/4 vertical, and it goes two hops to the US east coast and the caribbean quite regularly.

      Toady I got perhaps my best contact ever - ZL30MDG, for 13500 miles/Watt on MFSK-16. (He has a 30m quad, so we know it was long path). QRP is very frustrating - for DX I measure days per QSO (not QSOs/day), but it is wonderful when it all comes together.

      Don't let anyone doubt that the softrock is a real transceiver, that can make worldwide contacts.

      Hope to work some of you on 30m, just listen 10140-10144 KHz

      73 de G8SQH
      --
      <djch-yahoo@...>
    • Dave Matthews
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
        I agree - it is a blast to get a DX contact on 1 watt.  My best to date has been Greece - just under 5000 miles.  That is with a 6.3 on 20m PSK31.

        73
        Dave - KB2YWT

        On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM, <djch-yahoo@...> wrote:

        If you've got a softrock tx/rx, don't be afraid to try it (on data) barefoot. I run a 6.2 on 30m to a 1/4 vertical, and it goes two hops to the US east coast and the caribbean quite regularly.

        Toady I got perhaps my best contact ever - ZL30MDG, for 13500 miles/Watt on MFSK-16. (He has a 30m quad, so we know it was long path). QRP is very frustrating - for DX I measure days per QSO (not QSOs/day), but it is wonderful when it all comes together.

        Don't let anyone doubt that the softrock is a real transceiver, that can make worldwide contacts.

        Hope to work some of you on 30m, just listen 10140-10144 KHz

        73 de G8SQH
        --
        <djch-yahoo@...>

      • Charles (WC5MC)
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
          I couldn't agree more.

          Congrats on 13,500 miles/Watt!

          I just worked EA6BH in PALMA DE MALLORCA, Balearic Islands, in the Mediterranean, on 20 meters PSK31, which is 5,288 miles from me in Dallas TX at one watt.

          It comes close to the thrill of when I first built the SoftRock and powered it up. :)

          -- Charles WC5MC

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, djch-yahoo@... wrote:

          > If you've got a softrock tx/rx, don't be afraid to try it (on data) barefoot. I run a 6.2 on 30m to a 1/4 vertical, and it goes two hops to the US east coast and the caribbean quite regularly.
          >
          > Toady I got perhaps my best contact ever - ZL30MDG, for 13500 miles/Watt on MFSK-16. (He has a 30m quad, so we know it was long path). QRP is very frustrating - for DX I measure days per QSO (not QSOs/day), but it is wonderful when it all comes together.
          >
          > Don't let anyone doubt that the softrock is a real transceiver, that can make worldwide contacts.
          >
          > Hope to work some of you on 30m, just listen 10140-10144 KHz
          >
          > 73 de G8SQH
          > --
          > <djch-yahoo@...>

        • John RABSON
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2010
            And we are nowhere near sunspot maximum yet!

            John F5VLF

            On 28/02/2010 at 02:02 Charles (WC5MC) wrote:

            >I just worked EA6BH in PALMA DE MALLORCA, Balearic Islands, in the
            >Mediterranean, on 20 meters PSK31, which is 5,288 miles from me in Dallas
            >TX at one watt.
          • kb3kjs
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
              Working DX, the easy way, is working DX contests. The bigger contest stations have excellent receive capabilities. They also have excellent operators that can hear signals just above the noise level.

              I worked 20 new countries in a couple of hours during the last ARRL DX CW contest. Allot of stations answered me on the first try. All with my barefoot RXTXv.6.3. I was amazed !! Oh and I was using a slinky antenna in my attic.

              Amplifiers? We don't need no stinkin amplifiers !! (Blazing Saddles, 1974)

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, djch-yahoo@... wrote:

              > If you've got a softrock tx/rx, don't be afraid to try it (on data) barefoot. I run a 6.2 on 30m to a 1/4 vertical, and it goes two hops to the US east coast and the caribbean quite regularly.
              >
              > Toady I got perhaps my best contact ever - ZL30MDG, for 13500 miles/Watt on MFSK-16. (He has a 30m quad, so we know it was long path). QRP is very frustrating - for DX I measure days per QSO (not QSOs/day), but it is wonderful when it all comes together.
              >
              > Don't let anyone doubt that the softrock is a real transceiver, that can make worldwide contacts.
              >
              > Hope to work some of you on 30m, just listen 10140-10144 KHz
              >
              > 73 de G8SQH
              > --
              > <djch-yahoo@...>

            • ed_hekman
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
                Congratulations. You have me beat. I worked Rob, ZL30MDG, also but I was using a whole watt.

                It has been a real eye-opener to find out what can be worked with 1 watt or less. I have 60 contacts in the log since last July on 40m to 15m including Asiatic Russia, Japan, New Zealand and Belgium. I have learned to look for the signals that show S/N > 5 dB with MultiPSK.

                Ed
                WB6YTE