LD-1A Ebay Auction Results

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
      My auction of one LD-1A on Ebay ended a few minutes ago, and the results are doubly gratifying. First, I beleive the auction confirmed that I have selected an appropriate price point of $218. Second, and even better, the buyer turned out to be a REPEAT BUYER! He's had his first one for a couple of weeks now, so he's had a chance to evaluate it and must really like it. He is the third person to buy two units. Woohoo! I love it!!!!

      The LD-1 is now mentioned on the winrad.org website

      By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits" for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling surface-mount parts.

      73,
      Pete, NI9N
      www.lazydogengineering.com
      www.garage-shoppe.com
    • Jose Bonanca
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010

        "By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits" for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling surface-mount parts."

        You are late by at least 10 years...

        73,

        --
        Jose (Ct1aos)
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
          You might be surprised.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jose Bonanca <jabct1aos@...> wrote:

          > "By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how
          > to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits"
          > for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling
          > surface-mount parts."
          >

          > You are late by at least 10 years...
          >

          > 73,
          > On 27 February 2010 13:59, Peter <pete@...> wrote:
          >

          > > My auction of one LD-1A on Ebay ended a few minutes ago, and the results
          > > are doubly gratifying. First, I beleive the auction confirmed that I have
          > > selected an appropriate price point of $218. Second, and even better, the
          > > buyer turned out to be a REPEAT BUYER! He's had his first one for a couple
          > > of weeks now, so he's had a chance to evaluate it and must really like it.
          > > He is the third person to buy two units. Woohoo! I love it!!!!
          > >
          > > The LD-1 is now mentioned on the winrad.org website
          > >
          > > By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how
          > > to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits"
          > > for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling
          > > surface-mount parts.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Pete, NI9N
          > > www.lazydogengineering.com
          > > www.garage-shoppe.com
          > >

          > --
          > Jose (Ct1aos)

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
            Hi Pete,

            Given that this is a forum for discussion relating to the SoftRock range of kits, and providing support for them, I suspect I am probably not alone in thinking that it is starting to become inappropriate for you to be using it for the promotion of your own 'commercial' offerings.

            I suspect many of us have taken a look a quick at your user manual and did a comparison to see how it stacked up against the SoftRock v9.0 RX, and were able to draw our own conclusions.

            There probably is a place in the market for a ready built receiver, but I suspect many of those who may be interested, will not have sufficient background information or experience of using SDR and particularly the integration of the hardware and operating it with the available SDR software, to make informed decisions.

            The prices things sell on ebay are not realistic. You will always find people willing to pay crazy prices, primarily as they probably do not know any better.

            So, I wish you luck with your venture and hope it does not backfire, but perhaps the forum you set up is a more appropriate place to promote it in future.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pete@...> wrote:

            > My auction of one LD-1A on Ebay ended a few minutes ago, and the results are doubly gratifying. First, I beleive the auction confirmed that I have selected an appropriate price point of $218. Second, and even better, the buyer turned out to be a REPEAT BUYER! He's had his first one for a couple of weeks now, so he's had a chance to evaluate it and must really like it. He is the third person to buy two units. Woohoo! I love it!!!!
            >
            > The LD-1 is now mentioned on the winrad.org website
            >
            > By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits" for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling surface-mount parts.
            >
            > 73,
            > Pete, NI9N
            > www.lazydogengineering.com
            > www.garage-shoppe.com

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
              Bob, that's a very reasonable request. I'll stop promoting my venture in this group, but I'll continue to participate here when I think I can offer something.

              For example, the subject of vacuum pick tools came up here several days ago, and I was asked to provide a few pictures of the way I modify aquarium pumps. I'm not selling anything related to that, and while Jose says I'm at least ten years behind, he might be wrong. When I first became aware that people were selling modified aquarium pumps for this purpose (for about $70 - 80, at that time) I looked for instructions. They all seemed to involve sealing the pump's enclosure with RTV or silicone. Turns out there's an easier and less messy way, and that's what I'll be sharing later today.

              I've also found that the pick itself, while simple, must be well-done ergonomically. That makes all the difference between a tool that is actually useful and one which is inferior to a good pair of tweezers. The tubing connecting the pick to the pump is particularly critical, it should be as flexible as possible. The tubing sold for aquariums is NOT flexible enough, but SILICONE tubing sold for model airplane fuel lines is. Make sure you get silicone, though, not Tygon.

              Finally, if anyone has had the patience to read this far, I wonder how many Softrock builders have used a solder stencil to apply solder paste? For a club project, it might be worth the $100 cost.

              73,
              Pete, NI9N
              www.garage-shoppe.com
              www.lazydogengineering.com

              > Hi Pete,
              >
              > Given that this is a forum for discussion relating to the SoftRock range of kits, and providing support for them, I suspect I am probably not alone in thinking that it is starting to become inappropriate for you to be using it for the promotion of your own 'commercial' offerings.
              >
              > I suspect many of us have taken a look a quick at your user manual and did a comparison to see how it stacked up against the SoftRock v9.0 RX, and were able to draw our own conclusions.
              >
              > There probably is a place in the market for a ready built receiver, but I suspect many of those who may be interested, will not have sufficient background information or experience of using SDR and particularly the integration of the hardware and operating it with the available SDR software, to make informed decisions.
              >
              > The prices things sell on ebay are not realistic. You will always find people willing to pay crazy prices, primarily as they probably do not know any better.
              >
              > So, I wish you luck with your venture and hope it does not backfire, but perhaps the forum you set up is a more appropriate place to promote it in future.
              >
              > 73, Bob G8VOI

            • pond.james_pond
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                Seconded. I come here to read about softrock developments and news.

                > Hi Pete,
                >
                > Given that this is a forum for discussion relating to the SoftRock range of kits, and providing support for them, I suspect I am probably not alone in thinking that it is starting to become inappropriate for you to be using it for the promotion of your own 'commercial' offerings.
                >
                > I suspect many of us have taken a look a quick at your user manual and did a comparison to see how it stacked up against the SoftRock v9.0 RX, and were able to draw our own conclusions.
                >
                > There probably is a place in the market for a ready built receiver, but I suspect many of those who may be interested, will not have sufficient background information or experience of using SDR and particularly the integration of the hardware and operating it with the available SDR software, to make informed decisions.
                >
                > The prices things sell on ebay are not realistic. You will always find people willing to pay crazy prices, primarily as they probably do not know any better.
                >
                > So, I wish you luck with your venture and hope it does not backfire, but perhaps the forum you set up is a more appropriate place to promote it in future.
                >
                > 73, Bob G8VOI
                >

                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pete@> wrote:
                > >
                > > My auction of one LD-1A on Ebay ended a few minutes ago, and the results are doubly gratifying. First, I beleive the auction confirmed that I have selected an appropriate price point of $218. Second, and even better, the buyer turned out to be a REPEAT BUYER! He's had his first one for a couple of weeks now, so he's had a chance to evaluate it and must really like it. He is the third person to buy two units. Woohoo! I love it!!!!
                > >
                > > The LD-1 is now mentioned on the winrad.org website
                > >
                > > By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com showing how to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits" for my friends in the UK) into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling surface-mount parts.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Pete, NI9N
                > > www.lazydogengineering.com
                > > www.garage-shoppe.com

              • g8voip
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                  Hi Pete,

                  Thanks for that. You might also be interested to know that within 15 minutes of me making that posting, I received a number of personal emails thanking me and supporting my comments.

                  As far as a solder paste stencil for the any of the SoftRock kits is concerned, I suspect the answer to your question is none!

                  I think we agreed to differ before in our opinions on the need (or not) to use solder paste to construct the any of the kits.

                  Not quite sure how on earth you think a solder paste screen could be shared between many hundreds, if not thousands of kit constructors globally!

                  73, Bob G8VOI
                • Mark J Dulcey
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                    I'd like to see a formal policy about announcements of non-SoftRock SDR
                    equipment. Personally I would support allowing a single announcement,
                    along with a link to a suitable place to continue the discussion. A lot
                    of us are interested in other approaches to SDR, and the noise level of
                    one announcement per project would be acceptable to me.

                    > Not quite sure how on earth you think a solder paste screen could be
                    > shared between many hundreds, if not thousands of kit constructors globally!

                    He suggested it as a possibility for a club project, not an individual
                    builder. If you have 20 people building the same kit it might be feasible.
                  • g8voip
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                      Hi Mark,

                      I do not think anyone objects to an occasional posting which is not SoftRock related, but there comes a point where it does become annoying to many and in the absence of any active group moderation, common sense should prevail.

                      Perhaps I miss-read the comment about the solder screen being a 'club' project and took it to mean the 'SoftRock' group generally.

                      As far as using solder paste goes for building the SoftRock kits, quite frankly I could not care less if people want to waste their own time and money.

                      To me though, it is just plain crazy to suggest to newcomers that it is a necessary or sensible approach to take, when all the SMD components used can easily be soldered by hand, in a fraction of the time it would take messing about with solder paste. If people think otherwise, I suggest they learn how to solder properly.

                      I will not bother to comment on this subject in the future, as it has been well any truly thrashed out many times!

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Mark J Dulcey <mark@...> wrote:

                      > I'd like to see a formal policy about announcements of non-SoftRock SDR
                      > equipment. Personally I would support allowing a single announcement,
                      > along with a link to a suitable place to continue the discussion. A lot
                      > of us are interested in other approaches to SDR, and the noise level of
                      > one announcement per project would be acceptable to me.
                      >
                      > > Not quite sure how on earth you think a solder paste screen could be
                      > > shared between many hundreds, if not thousands of kit constructors globally!
                      >
                      > He suggested it as a possibility for a club project, not an individual
                      > builder. If you have 20 people building the same kit it might be feasible.

                    • k5nwa
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                        At 11:26 AM 2/27/2010, you wrote:
                        >As far as using solder paste goes for building the SoftRock kits,
                        >quite frankly I could not care less if people want to waste their
                        >own time and money.
                        >
                        >To me though, it is just plain crazy to suggest to newcomers that it
                        >is a necessary or sensible approach to take, when all the SMD
                        >components used can easily be soldered by hand, in a fraction of the
                        >time it would take messing about with solder paste. If people think
                        >otherwise, I suggest they learn how to solder properly.
                        >
                        >I will not bother to comment on this subject in the future, as it
                        >has been well any truly thrashed out many times!
                        >
                        >73, Bob G8VOI

                        The comments seem contrary to your word that you "don't care",
                        ridiculing the idea that anyone might need any other way other than
                        yours is "not caring" but being dogmatic. I know hams that can't
                        solder with an iron due to excessive hand shaking they end up
                        damaging the runs yet they can successfully use the paste and hot air
                        paste method.

                        Hand soldering, oven, hot air, skillet, they all work well, it should
                        be up to the individual to choose without being ridiculed.

                        Empathy, is a very useful quality.

                        Cecil
                        k5nwa
                        < www.softrockradio.org > < www.qrpradio.com >
                        < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

                      • Mark J Dulcey
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                          On 2/27/2010 12:26 PM, g8voip wrote:

                          > To me though, it is just plain crazy to suggest to newcomers that it is
                          > a necessary or sensible approach to take, when all the SMD components
                          > used can easily be soldered by hand, in a fraction of the time it would
                          > take messing about with solder paste. If people think otherwise, I
                          > suggest they learn how to solder properly.

                          I agree that nothing in the SoftRock is all that difficult to solder; I
                          built my RxTx 6.2 with hand tools and a Weller soldering station. I'm
                          currently working on a DDS project that has TSSOP ICs in it -- now
                          there's a challenge, much worse than the SOIC packages. And nowadays
                          there are packages like BGA that CAN'T be soldered with normal hand
                          soldering (the solder points are under the chip!); us hams will just
                          have to adapt.

                          I've recently received offers from companies that do automated prototype
                          assembly. (Automated assembly in production quantities is nothing new,
                          but I hadn't heard of it being offered in quantity one before.) It's too
                          expensive for most of us hams, but when the alternative is paying a tech
                          to assemble a prototype it looks better. I suspect that's what a lot of
                          professional designers are doing now.
                        • g8voip
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                            Hi Cecil,

                            Ok, I will take the bait!

                            I do care what information is given to others on a forum like this, and just try to provide simple advice for those who ask, and who are often very inexperienced in some areas.

                            Sure, some have perfected all sorts of elaborate methods for SMD work, which work for them, but none seem to admit to the number of disasters they had had along the way in perfecting the technique.

                            You can almost certainly guarantee that someone trying to use solder paste for the first time will end up with a big mess!

                            I do not like to see people being led to believe that any process needs to be overly complicated, when a straight forward, cheap, simple and reliable option exists.

                            There, I said I would not comment :)

                            73, Bob G8VOI
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                              From: "k5nwa"
                              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: LD-1A Ebay Auction Results

                              >I know hams that can't
                              > solder with an iron due to excessive hand shaking they end up
                              > damaging the runs yet they can successfully use the paste and hot air
                              > paste method.

                              Yes, but the point is that quite a few have made posts that declare hand
                              soldering should not be attempted.
                              It seems to me that most Softrockers have found hand soldering fairly easy.
                              I'm all for suggesting other methods but nobody should make out theirs is
                              the only way.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • Mr Doug -
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                                I have built many Softrock kits at this point and they are all hand soldered. I have had no trouble and other than using a magnifier and a temperature controlled weller station I have no special equipment. I actually find the most tedious and time consuming job in assembling the kits is winding the coils.

                                With the combination of SMD, through hole parts, and staged building it sure seems to me the easiest way would be hand soldering. Like anything else though, there is a learning curve and some, due to sight or hand stability issues,might not be able to do it easily.

                                Doug

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                                  At 01:11 PM 2/27/2010, you wrote:

> [...]

                                  So if you have a different opinion on which is best you prove your
                                  point by emulating someone that is being dictatorial, I don't think
                                  so, then both sides are wrong, there are advantages and disadvantages
                                  to all the methods. We all have our opinions on which way is best,
                                  the problem is that what is best for oneself doesn't apply to everyone.

                                  With all these methods you can screw it up royally if you don't use
                                  common sense and learn how to do it right.

                                  Cecil
                                  k5nwa
                                  < www.softrockradio.org > < www.qrpradio.com >
                                  < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

                                • Sid Boyce
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010
                                    On 27/02/10 14:23, Jose Bonanca wrote:

                                    > "By the way, I'll have a post later today on garage-shoppe.com
                                    > <http://garage-shoppe.com> showing how to turn a $10 aquarium pump and a
                                    > few other odds and ends (that's "odd bits" for my friends in the UK)
                                    > into an inexpensive vacuum pick for handling surface-mount parts."
                                    > You are late by at least 10 years...
                                    >
                                    > 73,

                                    I just had a look and it seems to be similar to the aquarium pump I
                                    ordered yesterday on EBay coming from a very local source.
                                    Thanks for the write up and pictures.
                                    73 ... Sid.

                                    --
                                    Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                    Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 27, 2010

                                      Sid, may I ask how much you paid?  Don’t worry, I’m not going to try to start selling modified aquarium pumps.  I’d rather try to show people how to do the same thing themselves for a fraction of the cost, and my guess is you paid at least $40.

                                      73,

                                      Pete, NI9N

                                      Lazy Dog Engineering LLC

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                        On 27/02/10 15:20, Peter wrote:

                                        > Bob, that's a very reasonable request. I'll stop promoting my venture in
                                        > this group, but I'll continue to participate here when I think I can
                                        > offer something.
                                        >
                                        > For example, the subject of vacuum pick tools came up here several days
                                        > ago, and I was asked to provide a few pictures of the way I modify
                                        > aquarium pumps. I'm not selling anything related to that, and while Jose
                                        > says I'm at least ten years behind, he might be wrong. When I first
                                        > became aware that people were selling modified aquarium pumps for this
                                        > purpose (for about $70 - 80, at that time) I looked for instructions.
                                        > They all seemed to involve sealing the pump's enclosure with RTV or
                                        > silicone. Turns out there's an easier and less messy way, and that's
                                        > what I'll be sharing later today.

                                        If you are 10 years late, I am 10+ years late as I had never come across
                                        the aquarium pump idea until it was introduced here. My idea of using
                                        the compressor from a tape unit with the accompanying noise would
                                        probably have left me half deaf after each use.

                                        > I've also found that the pick itself, while simple, must be well-done
                                        > ergonomically. That makes all the difference between a tool that is
                                        > actually useful and one which is inferior to a good pair of tweezers.
                                        > The tubing connecting the pick to the pump is particularly critical, it
                                        > should be as flexible as possible. The tubing sold for aquariums is NOT
                                        > flexible enough, but SILICONE tubing sold for model airplane fuel lines
                                        > is. Make sure you get silicone, though, not Tygon.
                                        >
                                        > Finally, if anyone has had the patience to read this far, I wonder how
                                        > many Softrock builders have used a solder stencil to apply solder paste?
                                        > For a club project, it might be worth the $100 cost.

                                        Forgetting the LD-1A stuff, you have made a valuable contribution to
                                        builders of Softrock, it's additions and projects like UHFSDR in
                                        handling SMT components with relative ease.
                                        > 73,
                                        > Pete, NI9N
                                        > www.garage-shoppe.com
                                        > www.lazydogengineering.com

                                        Thanks Pete,
                                        73 ... Sid.

                                        _

                                        --
                                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                                        Specialist, Cricket Coach
                                        Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks
                                      • Ben Hall
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                          On 2/28/2010 5:08 AM, Sid Boyce wrote:

                                          > If you are 10 years late, I am 10+ years late

                                          Sid is on to something here - it really matters not how old the idea is.
                                          What does matter is that there are those, myself included, who are not
                                          familiar with the idea.

                                          Therefore, sharing that idea, while perhaps 10+ years late, is well
                                          worth doing!

                                          thanks much and 73,
                                          ben, kd5byb
                                          --
                                          Ben Hall, kd5byb@... - ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED.
                                        • sailingto
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                            >there are advantages and disadvantages
                                            >to all the methods. We all have our opinions on which way is best,
                                            >the problem is that what is best for oneself doesn't apply to >everyone.

                                            >With all these methods you can screw it up royally if you don't use
                                            >common sense and learn how to do it right.

                                            Cecil has made a very valid point - there are advantages and disadvantages to all methods. Someone with steady hands can hand solder just fine (I'm border line), others with shaky hands "might" still be able to place the SMD chip on the pad with solder paste, then heat with hot air to solder. I really like that method for small boards, but when there are LOTS of SMD parts, I like doing a few at a time to allow me more time to check for correct part placement.

                                            As my Grandpa said - "more'n one way to skin a cat".

                                            most important of all - is having fun!

                                            73 de Ken H>
                                          • M0FMT
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                              Hi Bob and group
                                              I made a similar comment when Pete the N9 call stated his adds on this reflector a little while ago and got short shrift for one or two other US calls.

                                              Pete I agree with Bob that this not the appropriate reflector for a hard sell business. Good luck with your project. As they say on E-bay there is one born every minute. No one on this group is here other than to promote the advancement of SDR radio in it's simplest and most basic level. We are fortunate in having trusted radio amateurs who put a huge amount of personal time, knowledge, skill, and down right good old amateur radio spirit in designing and kitting these great SDR radios for us at a cost that is frankly laughably cheap.  I would guarantee that nobody here whether a designer, beta tester, kit provider or builder of kits for others make a serious dime out of it. Strange but true!

                                              Now can we get on with the serious business of discussing Softrock SDR and helping ab anitio kit builders.

                                              73 es GL petefmt

                                            • Pete Goodmann
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                Maybe you didn't notice, but yesterday I agreed to Bob's reasonable
                                                request that I stop promoting a product here. I don't beleive I have
                                                done so since. Keep the thread going as long as you like, but
                                                everytime you post in this thread you're advertising the product you
                                                objected to.

                                                73,
                                                Pete, NI9N
                                                www.lazydogengineering.com
                                                www.garage-shoppe.com

                                                Sent from my iPhone
                                              • m0fmt
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                  Pete old chap, I don't in any way object to your product. Infact I wished you luck with it. Surprising as it may seem coming from a Brit where the entrepreneurial spirit is frowned upon nay stamped on with high business and employment taxation. I am very much in favour of innovation and product development and making a buck!
                                                  IMHO my one and only objection is to promote and discuss products and innovation that are not appropriate to this reflector / interest group which is primarily about Softrock SDR radio hard and software kits and applications at Amateur level.

                                                  If the majority of the group feel otherwise then who am I to set any kind of rules. I am personally in favour of a freewheeling association as it has been up to now. The amount of development that has been achieved here is a credit to the main players as I said in my last missive.

                                                  I feel privileged to have been able build and learn about Softrock radio with this group. It has brought back a lot what has been missing in Amateur radio in recent years, giving a feeling of achievement, sharing ideas and help, plus getting a great radio integrated with PC technology which has amazing performance for peanuts. It's about a modern approach to Rolling your own and not buying Taylor-made.
                                                  I hope that clarifies my position.

                                                  GL es 73 Pete M0fmt.

                                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Pete Goodmann <pete@...> wrote:

                                                  > Maybe you didn't notice, but yesterday I agreed to Bob's reasonable
                                                  > request that I stop promoting a product here. I don't beleive I have
                                                  > done so since. Keep the thread going as long as you like, but
                                                  > everytime you post in this thread you're advertising the product you
                                                  > objected to.
                                                  >
                                                  > 73,
                                                  > Pete, NI9N
                                                  > www.lazydogengineering.com
                                                  > www.garage-shoppe.com
                                                  >
                                                  > Sent from my iPhone

                                                • sdrcrazed
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                    > To me though, it is just plain crazy to suggest to newcomers that it is a necessary or sensible approach to take, when all the SMD components used can easily be soldered by hand, in a fraction of the time it would take messing about with solder paste. If people think otherwise, I suggest they learn how to solder properly.
                                                    >
                                                    > 73, Bob G8VOI

                                                    Bob,

                                                    Since I was the one that made the "just plain crazy" suggestion to a SR newbie in that last big go-around about solder paste, I'll dispel some of the complaints about alternate soldering techniques.

                                                    First, I've soldered regularly for over forty years and actually had formal training in soldering in my early years. I WELCOME the solder paste technique because the results are astounding and the process is extremely simple.

                                                    See http://SDRbuzz.com/images/gallery/SMD1.jpg for an example...

                                                    I soldered the SMD components on this board a week ago. It took me no longer that THIRTY minutes from start to finish. Notice the quality. Compare that to any of the iron soldered examples posted anywhere. The connections are literally perfect. It looks like a production soldering job.

                                                    The solder paste technique is very inexpensive. I bought a $5 (.5cc) syringe of paste and have built several SRs with it. The syringe still looks as full as it was the day it arrived. The other tools are also very inexpensive. The embossing heat gun cost me $20. I'll be using it for a lot of things not related to SR. The cup warmer... well I already had one, but they're just a few dollars new.

                                                    "Elaborate"? "Perfected"? "Disasters"? My first board required fixing a solder bridge and I also had one capacitor turn on me that had to be re-soldered. That was a very shallow learning curve and those are hardly disasters. Since then every board has been perfect.

                                                    So unless you've tried it, don't knock it...

                                                    Ed KT6F
                                                  • Jim Rossell
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                      I agree. Since all this started I had to look up the product etc . and check out the web sites.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                        On 28/02/10 22:53, sdrcrazed wrote:

                                                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                        > "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:
                                                        > > To me though, it is just plain crazy to suggest to newcomers that it
                                                        > is a necessary or sensible approach to take, when all the SMD components
                                                        > used can easily be soldered by hand, in a fraction of the time it would
                                                        > take messing about with solder paste. If people think otherwise, I
                                                        > suggest they learn how to solder properly.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                                                        >
                                                        > Bob,
                                                        >
                                                        > Since I was the one that made the "just plain crazy" suggestion to a SR
                                                        > newbie in that last big go-around about solder paste, I'll dispel some
                                                        > of the complaints about alternate soldering techniques.
                                                        >
                                                        > First, I've soldered regularly for over forty years and actually had
                                                        > formal training in soldering in my early years. I WELCOME the solder
                                                        > paste technique because the results are astounding and the process is
                                                        > extremely simple.
                                                        >
                                                        > See http://SDRbuzz.com/images/gallery/SMD1.jpg
                                                        > <http://SDRbuzz.com/images/gallery/SMD1.jpg> for an example...
                                                        >
                                                        > I soldered the SMD components on this board a week ago. It took me no
                                                        > longer that THIRTY minutes from start to finish. Notice the quality.
                                                        > Compare that to any of the iron soldered examples posted anywhere. The
                                                        > connections are literally perfect. It looks like a production soldering job.
                                                        >
                                                        > The solder paste technique is very inexpensive. I bought a $5 (.5cc)
                                                        > syringe of paste and have built several SRs with it. The syringe still
                                                        > looks as full as it was the day it arrived. The other tools are also
                                                        > very inexpensive. The embossing heat gun cost me $20. I'll be using it
                                                        > for a lot of things not related to SR. The cup warmer... well I already
                                                        > had one, but they're just a few dollars new.
                                                        >
                                                        > "Elaborate"? "Perfected"? "Disasters"? My first board required fixing a
                                                        > solder bridge and I also had one capacitor turn on me that had to be
                                                        > re-soldered. That was a very shallow learning curve and those are hardly
                                                        > disasters. Since then every board has been perfect.
                                                        >
                                                        > So unless you've tried it, don't knock it...
                                                        >
                                                        > Ed KT6F

                                                        Very neat job. The syringe I have put it out in blobs rather than as you
                                                        would expect toothpaste to come out, so I haven't used it. I have
                                                        another syringe I hope to try on the Mobo 4.3.4 kit when it arrives.
                                                        73 ... Sid.
                                                        --
                                                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                                                        Specialist, Cricket Coach
                                                        Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks
                                                      • Ray J
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                          Looks interesting,

                                                          But no longer than 30 minutes??

                                                          to solder 12 components?? thats around 30 seconds per solder joint.
                                                          is this the first time you tried doing it like that?

                                                          w9Ray

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
                                                            From: "sdrcrazed"
                                                            Subject: [softrock40] OT: Solder Paste Criticism Rebuttal (LD-1A Ebay
                                                            Auction Results)

                                                            > Since I was the one that made the "just plain crazy" suggestion to a SR
                                                            > newbie in that last big go-around about solder paste, I'll dispel some of
                                                            > the complaints about alternate soldering techniques.

                                                            I am one who has tried solder paste once and failed.
                                                            The point is that the first Softrock most people build is a Lite. $15, a few
                                                            easy to solder SM components.
                                                            You are saying to newcomers, "You have spent $15, now spend $30+ and a few
                                                            weeks to solder it."
                                                            I do not think anyone has said "Do NOT use solder paste" but I am one that
                                                            feels it is not neccessary to ask a newcomer to learn a new technique when
                                                            the majority of Softrocks have been adequately soldered by hand.

                                                            You have the equipment and experience so it is a half hour job to you. For
                                                            someone to setup something like you describe it might take a week to do
                                                            research and source the materials. Outside the US (many of us are!) I do not
                                                            know of a source of suitable paste with reccommended dispenser. That means
                                                            if we get it from USA it may have been cooked for several weeks in hot vans
                                                            and warehouses. Paste was my downfall.

                                                            > I WELCOME the solder paste technique because the results are astounding
                                                            > and the process is extremely simple.

                                                            I'm just happy to get something working. I don't have to give someone a
                                                            magnifier so they can see the soldering is bad!
                                                            The process is simple to you because you did get everything right the first
                                                            time. No doubt I will try again sometime but only when I am ready!
                                                            Setting up a solder station is an investment, many Softrockers may go on to
                                                            reflow techniques but I have not found it as simple as you say.

                                                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                                          • Brian Lloyd
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 1, 2010
                                                              On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                                                              I am one who has tried solder paste once and failed.
                                                              The point is that the first Softrock most people build is a Lite. $15, a few
                                                              easy to solder SM components.
                                                              You are saying to newcomers, "You have spent $15, now spend $30+ and a few
                                                              weeks to solder it."
                                                              I do not think anyone has said "Do NOT use solder paste" but I am one that
                                                              feels it is not neccessary to ask a newcomer to learn a new technique when
                                                              the majority of Softrocks have been adequately soldered by hand.

                                                              I taught my 5th-graders to solder with solder paste and hot-air, using a toaster-oven to preheat. (We also tried using the toaster oven to solder and that worked fine too.) They found it easier and more fun than through-hole soldering.

                                                              You have the equipment and experience so it is a half hour job to you. For
                                                              someone to setup something like you describe it might take a week to do
                                                              research and source the materials. Outside the US (many of us are!) I do not
                                                              know of a source of suitable paste with reccommended dispenser. That means
                                                              if we get it from USA it may have been cooked for several weeks in hot vans
                                                              and warehouses. Paste was my downfall.

                                                              Fresh paste is an absolute must.

                                                              --
                                                              73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL