Re: Rocky Question

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Tom,

      You really need to get to the bottom of why your USB interface is not working consistently. Certainly there should be no need to to keep on disconnecting it to get your receiver working.

      You must ensure that the receiver is powered and the USB lead connected before running any SDR program.

      If you have Rocky configured to use the USB interface, then its not a good idea to try and run CFGSR at the same time. As far as I am aware, the USB interface cannot be shared between two programs, not too sure exactly what the overall effect would be, but on starting Rocky the Si570 would be commanded to generate the centre frequency that the program was currently set to, then if you started CFGSR, if it managed to find the USB interface, I think it would go to the start up frequency you had set up in that program.

      Rocky is usually extremely 'placid' as far as the USB side goes, in receive mode, only sends frequency commands to the Si570 on starting the program or if you select another centre frequency from the pull down. In transmit mode, both the PTT and key lines should be active.

      First thing is really to concentrate on getting the USB side running correctly.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <loeblt@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the responses. I do have Rocky set up as stated, and the INI file modified. One clarification. I don't have to have CfgSR running. With V15.12 of the PIC, all I have to do is unplug the USB cable from the PC and plug it back in. The receiver comes to to life at that point.
      >
      > Tom

    • wa1vta01452
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Bob,

        I have other mysterious things going on. If I go into the Rocky settings and make any changes, like, for example, unchecking 96K sampling and checking 48K sampling, when I close the dialog box I lose comm. with the Si570 and I gat the same display identical to when ROcky is in transmit - all signals disappear. I then have to use PsgSR to get things going again.

        I will reload Rocky this afternoon to see if the software is corrupted.

        Seems like it could also be a communications issue. I have another USB-i2C card and will try replacing that too.

        Tom

        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > You really need to get to the bottom of why your USB interface is not working consistently. Certainly there should be no need to to keep on disconnecting it to get your receiver working.
        >
        > You must ensure that the receiver is powered and the USB lead connected before running any SDR program.
        >
        > If you have Rocky configured to use the USB interface, then its not a good idea to try and run CFGSR at the same time. As far as I am aware, the USB interface cannot be shared between two programs, not too sure exactly what the overall effect would be, but on starting Rocky the Si570 would be commanded to generate the centre frequency that the program was currently set to, then if you started CFGSR, if it managed to find the USB interface, I think it would go to the start up frequency you had set up in that program.
        >
        > Rocky is usually extremely 'placid' as far as the USB side goes, in receive mode, only sends frequency commands to the Si570 on starting the program or if you select another centre frequency from the pull down. In transmit mode, both the PTT and key lines should be active.
        >
        > First thing is really to concentrate on getting the USB side running correctly.
        >
        > 73, Bob G8VOI
        >

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <loeblt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for the responses. I do have Rocky set up as stated, and the INI file modified. One clarification. I don't have to have CfgSR running. With V15.12 of the PIC, all I have to do is unplug the USB cable from the PC and plug it back in. The receiver comes to to life at that point.
        > >
        > > Tom

      • g8voip
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Tom,

          As far as I am aware changing the sound card sampling rate would not involve any communication over the USB or I2C interface, so should not have any effect on the Si570 control.

          If you get a display much like the one when transmitting, to me it sounds like the output of the Si570 is stopping completely and you are just seeing the 'system' noise from the soundcard.

          I cannot remember what sound device you are using, but if it is a USB one, I wonder if you are using a hub with both the SoftRock and sound device connected? Might be something silly with the power supply available. I must admit, I always use a powered USB hub now as I have a lot of hardware like the Atmel AVR Dragon which need a decent supply.

          My feeling is that it is probably hardware related, so might be worth reflowing the joints on the Si570, although I do not think that would stop the USB communication working.

          Do you know when you run CFGSR that the Si570 is actually generating the frequency you are expecting, or is it just you are able to connect to it, so gives the impression it is working ok.

          With Rocky, there is no need to re-install the program, just go to the folder and delete the Rocky.ini file, and that is like starting again. One tip, before you do that, rather than deleting Rocky.ini, just rename it say Rocky.old. That way you can always go back, or copy and band settings you had previously entered.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wa1vta01452" <loeblt@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > I have other mysterious things going on. If I go into the Rocky settings and make any changes, like, for example, unchecking 96K sampling and checking 48K sampling, when I close the dialog box I lose comm. with the Si570 and I gat the same display identical to when ROcky is in transmit - all signals disappear. I then have to use PsgSR to get things going again.
          >
          > I will reload Rocky this afternoon to see if the software is corrupted.
          >
          > Seems like it could also be a communications issue. I have another USB-i2C card and will try replacing that too.
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Tom,
          > >
          > > You really need to get to the bottom of why your USB interface is not working consistently. Certainly there should be no need to to keep on disconnecting it to get your receiver working.
          > >
          > > You must ensure that the receiver is powered and the USB lead connected before running any SDR program.
          > >
          > > If you have Rocky configured to use the USB interface, then its not a good idea to try and run CFGSR at the same time. As far as I am aware, the USB interface cannot be shared between two programs, not too sure exactly what the overall effect would be, but on starting Rocky the Si570 would be commanded to generate the centre frequency that the program was currently set to, then if you started CFGSR, if it managed to find the USB interface, I think it would go to the start up frequency you had set up in that program.
          > >
          > > Rocky is usually extremely 'placid' as far as the USB side goes, in receive mode, only sends frequency commands to the Si570 on starting the program or if you select another centre frequency from the pull down. In transmit mode, both the PTT and key lines should be active.
          > >
          > > First thing is really to concentrate on getting the USB side running correctly.
          > >
          > > 73, Bob G8VOI
          > >

          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <loeblt@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the responses. I do have Rocky set up as stated, and the INI file modified. One clarification. I don't have to have CfgSR running. With V15.12 of the PIC, all I have to do is unplug the USB cable from the PC and plug it back in. The receiver comes to to life at that point.
          > > >
          > > > Tom

        • tom
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
            Bob,

            I am using a Delta 44 sound card. I may have had a bad solder joint on my USB-I2C card. I touched it up with my soldering pancil. Now, when I turn on Rocky, it seems to start up ok. I also dumped the old INI file and had Rocky recreate it. I then pasted in the frerquencies.

            There is a gap in my 40 meter coverage. When I choose 7046 I can tune to just about from 7.000 Mhz to 7.100 Mhz. When I choose 7.221, I get coverage from about 7.170 Mhz to 7.270 Mhz. I am missing the 70 khz below 7.170. 80 meter coverage is 3.5 Mjz to 3.6 Mhz and 3.8 Mhz to 3.9 Mhz. . Not sure wheter there's a way around it.

            For the record, I tried PSDR V1.12.20  and it seems to wrk well for PSK and near real-time CW as monitored in my 746. There does not appear to be any noticeable latency like there is in V 2.0. Only issues are a bit of occasional popping which may not be audible on the other end, and I am unable to monitor in the PC speaker for some reason. Will workk on that.

            Thanks for your suggestions,
            73,

          • g8voip
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
              Hi Tom,

              Good to hear that, hopefully you have resolved that issue.

              With Rocky you can edit the Rocky.ini file to add as many additional centre frequencies as you loke, so just add a few more to give you fully coverage of each of the amateur bands.

              In my configuration, especially for the v9.0 RX and VHF converters, I think I have well over 50 different centre frequencies defined. I just add new ones, and ensure there is something like 10kHz overlap at the ends of the span. If you use 7040, 7080, 7120 etc, that works well.

            • tom
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
                Thanks Bob. I was not aware additional lines could be inserted since the web site directions only stated that the  BANDS section of thwe INI file needed to be replaced by the 17 lines.

              • genesysltduk
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <loeblt@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Bob. I was not aware additional lines could be inserted since the web site directions only stated that the BANDS section of thwe INI file needed to be replaced by the 17 lines.
                  >
                  > Tom

                  Don't forget that one can also put a negative frequency value into the .ini file. Yopu can't do that via the setup. Handy if one is using a Softrock as a panadapter and one wants to show 0 at one's IF frequency and -/+ that frequency. I have -4000 (in Hz) for mine.

                  Duncan
                  G4ELJ