Re: RXTX 6.3 running smoothly with Delta 2496 and Audigy 2 (second card)

  • kb3kjs
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Preston, Can you please elaborate more on how you got your RXTX WSPRing. I'd like to get mine WSPRing on 40 but cant even get WSPR software to decode sigs yet. I tried using PSDR-IQ and a VAC connection to WSPR. I get the waterfall and it looks like it can hear the audio from PSDR but no decodes. Are there allot of signals on 40 meters? Should I be able to easily decode them? Thanks -Joe

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Preston" <pdouglas12@...> wrote:

      > I finally have my 6.3 humming. It was WSPRing nicely on 40, and even worked well on 80, though the WSPR frequency is right at the top edge of the 80 meter CW portion allowed with the on board switch using a 96k card. When I get the I2C working, this won't matter, but it was good to see the 80 meter WSPR reaches well enough to send and receive a spot, just for experimental purposes. It works. So, now I have to get it cased up for protection of those delicate toroids, and finish up the rest of the options and band boards. I also plan to run it into a Packer Amp waiting construction--so much to build!
      >
      > I did want to mention one thing I learned that was not easy to detect and was causing some intermittent problems. I am using the little brother of the D-44 card, the Delta 2496 along with a secondary card for third party functions and SSB. In the PSDR versions I am using, the main card is entered as unsupported, though the driver is recognized as a D-44. The latency of the ASIO driver is pretty good, but not zero. Setting latency to 1 or zero causes problems which are hard to figure out. Manual setting of latency to about 3 or so makes it all work right. The card will run easily at 96K, and buffer of 1024 seems fine. I could not figure out why the power settings were not working right. It was the latency setting. Also, with third pary software, watch out that your second sound card is not set to "record" via mic when you want it to record "wave". Obviously, you do want it set to mic when you are using SSB via input to the second card.
      >
      > Preston WJ2V

    • Preston Douglas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2010
        Joe,
        First of all, do you know your 6.3 is working correctly?  Do you see CW signals in the evening, lots of them, especially over the weekend.  Are they down at the low end of the band where they belong?  (Or do you have I/Q reversed?)  Are you transmitting on frequency (or do you have I/Q reversed in transmit?)  Be careful, PSDR40 reverses the output when you test using the tune button.  Other versions do not do this.  I like the Genesis 1.0 software, which fixed this bug, so TUNE works as it should.  I don't use Rocky, so can't help you there.

        You should be able to copy one or two signals all day long.  I have been copying NU8D all day today--I am receiving, not transmitting, as I am not home to watch!  I just got a spot from Italy, which will happen during late afternoon, sunset, and early morning especially.  Yes, you should see something if you leave it running a while.  My advice is to see the site below for excellent instructions on getting it connected.  Two things to keep in mind are that you must be very accurate in your frequency in the SDR software, and you must have your time sync'd.  If you are off by only a few seconds, you won't copy anything.  This can be done by double clicking on your Windows clock and doing an Internet sync.  Frequency of your LO must be measured accurately, as even the Si570 will vary in its output by a few Hz from nominal settings.

          You will know you have the audio getting to WSPR if you can change the noise readout in WSPR by moving either the main audio slider or the secondary volume control audio slider in your PSDR software which appears when you are using VAC and DIGU setting.  BTW WSPR is upper sideband, even on 40.

        Here is the instructional website:
        http://yt1dl.veze.net/sdr.html

        You have not told us what sound card you are using.  You must have either two sound cards (one can be your on-board card) or a card which has two sets of stereo inputs/outputs. You can use the third party VAC program to link the two sets of in/outs in a Delta-44 so you can use the VAC function in PSDR.  This is done differently with two separate cards.  For example a Delta 2496, which is an excellent card for SDR, has only one pair of in/outs.  With that card, you would have to use the on-board card as a second card or another sound card to do VAC functions.  In the case of two cards, you don't need to buy and use the third party VAC program.

        Also, if you are using two sound cards as I am, I have posted a similar instructional on the Genesis Group Files section under FAQ.  If you are running one card like the Delta 44, this will just confuse you, so am not including it here.
        There is a lot of information to absorb here.  I hope it helps.

        Also, please do not ask me which I like better, the Genesis or the RXTX 6.3.   It's like asking me if I prefer Jennifer Anniston or Ashley Judd.

        Preston Douglas WJ2V

        Hi Preston, Can you please elaborate more on how you got your RXTX WSPRing. I'd like to get mine WSPRing on 40 but cant even get WSPR software to decode sigs yet. I tried using PSDR-IQ and a VAC connection to WSPR. I get the waterfall and it looks like it can hear the audio from PSDR but no decodes. Are there allot of signals on 40 meters? Should I be able to easily decode them? Thanks -Joe

        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Preston" <pdouglas12@ ...> wrote:

        > I finally have my 6.3 humming. It was WSPRing nicely on 40, and even worked well on 80, though the WSPR frequency is right at the top edge of the 80 meter CW portion allowed with the on board switch using a 96k card. When I get the I2C working, this won't matter, but it was good to see the 80 meter WSPR reaches well enough to send and receive a spot, just for experimental purposes. It works. So, now I have to get it cased up for protection of those delicate toroids, and finish up the rest of the options and band boards. I also plan to run it into a Packer Amp waiting construction- -so much to build!
        >
        > I did want to mention one thing I learned that was not easy to detect and was causing some intermittent problems. I am using the little brother of the D-44 card, the Delta 2496 along with a secondary card for third party functions and SSB. In the PSDR versions I am using, the main card is entered as unsupported, though the driver is recognized as a D-44. The latency of the ASIO driver is pretty good, but not zero. Setting latency to 1 or zero causes problems which are hard to figure out. Manual setting of latency to about 3 or so makes it all work right. The card will run easily at 96K, and buffer of 1024 seems fine. I could not figure out why the power settings were not working right. It was the latency setting. Also, with third pary software, watch out that your second sound card is not set to "record" via mic when you want it to record "wave". Obviously, you do want it set to mic when you are using SSB via input to the second card.
        >
        > Preston WJ2V

        =
      • Ray J
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2010
          Make sure you check your frequency Cal.. it has to be pretty close...
          All wspr signals are in about a 200hz area..

          Also you computer clock has to be correct within a couple seconds to
          maximize success

          W9Ray

          Preston Douglas wrote:

> [...]
          > VAC function in PSDR. This is done differently with two separate cards.
          > For example a Delta 2496, which is an excellent card for SDR, has only
          > one pair of in/outs. With that card, you would have to use the on-board
          > card as a second card or another sound card to do VAC functions. In the
          > case of two cards, you don't need to buy and use the third party VAC
          > program.
          >
          > Also, if you are using two sound cards as I am, I have posted a similar
          > instructional on the Genesis Group Files section under FAQ. If you are
          > running one card like the Delta 44, this will just confuse you, so am
          > not including it here.
          > There is a lot of information to absorb here. I hope it helps.
          >
          > Also, please do not ask me which I like better, the Genesis or the RXTX
          > 6.3. It's like asking me if I prefer Jennifer Anniston or Ashley Judd.

        • kb3kjs
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2010
            Preston, Thanks so much for the great info. I was finally able to get everything working tonight. I'm sending and receiving WSPR now. 2200 miles with 1 watt !! That's really amazing. Thanks again. -Joe

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Preston Douglas <pdouglas12@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >

            > Also, if you are using two sound cards as I am, I have posted a similar instructional on the Genesis Group Files section under FAQ. If you are running one card like the Delta 44, this will just confuse you, so am not including it here.
            > There is a lot of information to absorb here. I hope it helps.
            >

            > Also, please do not ask me which I like better, the Genesis or the RXTX 6.3. It's like asking me if I prefer Jennifer Anniston or Ashley Judd.

          • Preston Douglas
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2010
              Joe,

              Ha!  I love it when a plan comes together!  I copied you in a WSPR spot at 2:16 UTC.

              BTW, I am only running 100 mW, which is usually plenty.  I do run it at 200 or rarely 500 mW.  I think a watt with an RXTX 6.3 is pushing it.  But what the heck.  2N7000 are cheap.

              Glad I was able to help.  It's part of the fun.

              Preston Douglas WJ2V

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                The heatsink was getting a little warm but not hot at 1 watt. I think I will back the power down tonight. I guess that is done by simply reducing TX levels going into RXTX6.3 board?

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Joe,

                  Assuming you are using some version of PSDR:

                  Yes, you have it right.  You can reduce power with either the drive control in the upper left section or the transmit control on the lower right section which appears when DIGU is selected.  They are broadly adjustable, just like your TV and cable box volume controls--distortion only happens at relative extremes with either control.

                  Preston Douglas

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                    Thanks, I will try 500mw and then go down to 100mw. Still amazed at how far my signal got with only a watt. I'm running a pretty crappy antenna too! WSPR could prove to be a whole lot of fun trying out antenna designs and such. I'm not a ragchewer so this is perfect for me. I would like to try WSPR QSO sometime?