Re: [softrock40] Getting started...

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      From: "terry.gaff"
      Subject: [softrock40] Getting started...

      >can someone please tell me how exactly are the kits obtained, I went to
      >KB9YIG website and it appears that I cannot purchase anything right now. Is
      >this normal ? Does anybody know when kits might become available ?

      Links and info on the Softrock here
      http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm basically you have to keep
      an eye on that site until what you want is there.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Terry,

        I feel a good way to give SDR a try is with the little single band Lite II receiver kits.  I am about to make a few more of the kits available on my website.

        Thanks for your interest in the kits.

        73,
        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...
        http://www.kb9yig.com

        On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:21 +0000, terry.gaff wrote:

        Hi,

        I sorta stumbled on this 'softrock' thing the other day and I must say I am entirely intrigued at the whole thing. As a newbie here, can someone please tell me how exactly are the kits obtained, I went to KB9YIG website and it appears that I cannot purchase anything right now. Is this normal ? Does anybody know when kits might become available ? I tried out some online SDR receivers and it looks very interesting indeed.

        Terry

      • Elmore's
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
          Terry,
          The kit availability goes through cycles as Tony has to gather parts
          and/or time to get kits together. You'll see as time goes on what a great
          job Tony is doing in making all this happen. I have been a member of the
          group for 2-3 years and have built 2 transceivers and enjoyed all of it.
          There is a great deal of help available from the group.
          Stick around and wait for a kit and have fun!
          73, Jim WA4YWM
        • R R Robson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
            Terry:

            While waiting for SR Lite II kit availability,  you could possibly benefit from browsing http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ for an overview of Tony's kit offerings.

            Then take a look at the enhanced builders' notes for the SR Lite II kit(s) http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/.  Note that each build stage also has a "{theory of operation" section that can provide insights into what's actually happening in these little jewels.

            tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
            What happens in the shack
            Stays in the shack!