Getting started...

  • terry.gaff
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi,

      I sorta stumbled on this 'softrock' thing the other day and I must say I am entirely intrigued at the whole thing. As a newbie here, can someone please tell me how exactly are the kits obtained, I went to KB9YIG website and it appears that I cannot purchase anything right now. Is this normal ? Does anybody know when kits might become available ? I tried out some online SDR receivers and it looks very interesting indeed.

      Terry
    • kb3kjs
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Terry, and welcome to the madness of SDR! Just keep checking this group and KB9YIG website often. There will be announcements here when kits are available. I got one a few weeks ago and have it up and playing pretty good now. Wonderful little radios and a whole lot of fun to build and play with. You will be addicted. In the mean time read posts here to get up to speed on how all of this stuff works. Lots of software and sound card info here that you will need to know. -Joe

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
          From: "terry.gaff"
          Subject: [softrock40] Getting started...

          >can someone please tell me how exactly are the kits obtained, I went to
          >KB9YIG website and it appears that I cannot purchase anything right now. Is
          >this normal ? Does anybody know when kits might become available ?

          Links and info on the Softrock here
          http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm basically you have to keep
          an eye on that site until what you want is there.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
            Hi Terry,

            I feel a good way to give SDR a try is with the little single band Lite II receiver kits.  I am about to make a few more of the kits available on my website.

            Thanks for your interest in the kits.

            73,
            Tony Parks
            kb9yig@...
            http://www.kb9yig.com

            On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:21 +0000, terry.gaff wrote:

            Hi,

            I sorta stumbled on this 'softrock' thing the other day and I must say I am entirely intrigued at the whole thing. As a newbie here, can someone please tell me how exactly are the kits obtained, I went to KB9YIG website and it appears that I cannot purchase anything right now. Is this normal ? Does anybody know when kits might become available ? I tried out some online SDR receivers and it looks very interesting indeed.

            Terry

          • Elmore's
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
              Terry,
              The kit availability goes through cycles as Tony has to gather parts
              and/or time to get kits together. You'll see as time goes on what a great
              job Tony is doing in making all this happen. I have been a member of the
              group for 2-3 years and have built 2 transceivers and enjoyed all of it.
              There is a great deal of help available from the group.
              Stick around and wait for a kit and have fun!
              73, Jim WA4YWM
            • R R Robson
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
                Terry:

                While waiting for SR Lite II kit availability,  you could possibly benefit from browsing http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ for an overview of Tony's kit offerings.

                Then take a look at the enhanced builders' notes for the SR Lite II kit(s) http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/.  Note that each build stage also has a "{theory of operation" section that can provide insights into what's actually happening in these little jewels.

                tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                What happens in the shack
                Stays in the shack!