First Contact

  • Dave and Connie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
      I finally made a contact with my Softrock RXTX 6.3. I also finally gave
      up on my dipole in the trees and put up a $10 vertical just before
      making the contact. 20 meters from Retsof, NY to Neely, MS using Rocky
      and PSK31. I am getting just about 1 watt output according to my
      scope. That is about 4 watts than I used to run on CW quite a few years
      ago.

      It may not be too impressive to those of you that have been playing with
      these things for a while but I am happy.

      Dave
      KB2YWT
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
        I made the lowest power phone SSB contact I've ever made the other day on 75m.  Guy using his own design SDR transceiver at 10mW.   So you can do pretty well on 1W using digi modes ;-).

        --
        73      de     Chris       KC2RGW
        ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ

      • Jeffrey Peters
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
          Excellent Dave,

          While it might be a little harder from the far east coast. Last winter I was able to
          work CW WAS on 40 at 400mW from Michigan with my RXTX v6.2 transceiver
          and a dipole antenna. You never know what the magic of QRP will do!

          73, Jeff - K9JP SKCC #3008T