SR Lite for IF=455kHz for usage with Kenwood TS850(D)

  • Radioamateur
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
      Dear all,

      2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
      I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and installation guidelines inside the TS850(D).
      Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
      What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
      The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.

      Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR which is better documented on the I-net?

      Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

      Michel,
      ON7EH/QRP
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
        I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.

        I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results.  I would *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.

        --
        73      de     Chris       KC2RGW
        ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ

      • Grover_Cleveland
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
          I use a Softrock in the 8.3mhz of an old Kenwood TS-520S. Tapped in directly just before the crystal filter with no padding. Absolutely no loading of IF circuit. I do see a slight roll-off at 96khz SDR bandwidth due to the "preselector" which is a variable roofing filter. Got the 12v from the radio.
          Dick N3HKN

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris <kc2rgw@...> wrote:

          > I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.
          >
          > I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results. I would
          > *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Radioamateur <ON7EH@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Dear all,
          > >
          > > 2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
          > > I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and installation
          > > guidelines inside the TS850(D).
          > > Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
          > > What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
          > > The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.
          > >
          > > Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR which is
          > > better documented on the I-net?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
          > >
          > > Michel,
          > > ON7EH/QRP
          > >

          > --
          > 73 de Chris KC2RGW
          > ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ
          > ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟı

        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
            Dick, is this the same IF in the TS-520SE? I have one and have been
            going to connect a Softrock to it for a while but I was not sure which
            IF to select for the task. If you have additional info I would
            appreciate it either here or via personal address. Thanks.

            Bruce, K2BET
            ----------------------

            Grover_Cleveland wrote:

            > I use a Softrock in the 8.3mhz of an old Kenwood TS-520S. Tapped in
            > directly just before the crystal filter with no padding. Absolutely no
            > bandwidth due to the "preselector" which is a variable roofing filter.
            > Got the 12v from the radio.
            > Dick N3HKN
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris <kc2rgw@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.
            > >
            > > I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results. I would
            > > *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.
            > >
            > > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Radioamateur <ON7EH@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Dear all,
            > > >
            > > > 2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
            > > > I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and
            > installation
            > > > guidelines inside the TS850(D).
            > > > Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
            > > > What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
            > > > The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.
            > > >
            > > > Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR
            > which is
            > > > better documented on the I-net?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
            > > >
            > > > Michel,
            > > > ON7EH/QRP
            > > >

            > > --
            > > 73 de Chris KC2RGW
            > > ˙dn �pıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ
            > > �s��ןd 'sıɥʇ ƃuıp��ɹ �ɹ� noʎ ɟı

            > signature database 4727 (20091230) __________

            > http://www.eset.com
          • on7eh
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
              Thanks for the replies!
              Decision taken: I'll abandon the 455kHz track and will be using the IF OUT1 connection at the back of the TS850(D). (at 8.83MHz)
              So I'll wait for Tony, KB9YIG who'll have
              available Lite II specials for IF applications, by mid-January.
              Be informed, I've two redundant SR Lite kits for 455kHz IF application, available...
              Hny to all,
              73,
              Michel, ON7EH/QRP

              I use a Softrock in the 8.3mhz of an old Kenwood TS-520S. Tapped in directly just before the crystal filter with no padding. Absolutely no loading of IF circuit. I do see a slight roll-off at 96khz SDR bandwidth due to the "preselector" which is a variable roofing filter. Got the 12v from the radio.
              Dick N3HKN

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Chris <kc2rgw@...> wrote:

              > I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.
              >
              > I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results. I would
              > *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.
              >
              > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Radioamateur <ON7EH@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Dear all,
              > >
              > > 2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
              > > I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and installation
              > > guidelines inside the TS850(D).
              > > Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
              > > What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
              > > The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.
              > >
              > > Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR which is
              > > better documented on the I-net?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
              > >
              > > Michel,
              > > ON7EH/QRP
              > >

              > --
              > 73 de Chris KC2RGW
              > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------
              > ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ
              > ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟı

            • peterwalker1999
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                Michel

                I use softrock on 8.8 Mhz If of ts-850, and Ts-870

                Connects directly to IF socket on back of radio with no mods required.

                Did add a pre-amp to the softrock to improve reception, made from MAR-4 devices.

                Works really well with 100KHz bandwidth only limited by my soundcard. (I dont know if it will work with wider bandwidth).

                No experience of 455 Khz version, but 8.8 MHz works really well.

                regards

                peter

                G0RSQ

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Radioamateur" <ON7EH@...> wrote:

                > Dear all,
                >
                > 2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
                > I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and installation guidelines inside the TS850(D).
                > Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
                > What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
                > The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.
                >
                > Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR which is better documented on the I-net?
                >
                > Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
                >
                > Michel,
                > ON7EH/QRP

              • Grover_Cleveland
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                  I would guess that it is the same IF. If you look at the schematic (manuals on the web) I connected a piece of miniature coax from a point directly ahead of the xtal filter directly on to the input of the SDR 6.3. Then the SDR to the usual line-in on the PC. I was surprised that it had no impact on the normal operation of the transceiver. Connecting and disconnectiong showed no difference. I connected to the 12v that is on a plug in the back of the Kenwood. Did that inside. Then just ran the coax and power out under the top cover to the SDR. Now you need a proper xtal in the SDR. Otherwise, the dial frequency will not match the frequency you see on the PC. The Center of the first IF's bandwidth needs to be converted to a zero freq audio. I have not done this yet. It is fairly easy to locate PSK on the PC display and ignore what the PC and the radio say the frequency are. So, made contacts on PSK and also used the transceiver in its "normal" mode to make phone SSB contacts.

                  I use KGSDR and Warbler for the DSP and PSK respectively.

                  Dick N3HKN

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                  > Dick, is this the same IF in the TS-520SE? I have one and have been
                  > going to connect a Softrock to it for a while but I was not sure which
                  > IF to select for the task. If you have additional info I would
                  > appreciate it either here or via personal address. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Bruce, K2BET
                  > ----------------------
                  >
                  > Grover_Cleveland wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I use a Softrock in the 8.3mhz of an old Kenwood TS-520S. Tapped in
                  > > directly just before the crystal filter with no padding. Absolutely no
                  > > bandwidth due to the "preselector" which is a variable roofing filter.
                  > > Got the 12v from the radio.
                  > > Dick N3HKN
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris <kc2rgw@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.
                  > > >
                  > > > I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results. I would
                  > > > *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.

                  > > installation

                  > > which is

                  > > > --
                  > > > 73 de Chris KC2RGW
                  > > > ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ
                  > > > ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟı

                  > > signature database 4727 (20091230) __________

                  > > http://www.eset.com

                • Rob Frohne
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Hi Michael,

                    Just to give you something else to think about, I do use the 455 KHz IF on my TS-850SAT because I like to use my 455 KHz filters and listen to the demodulated output after going through them and through the DSP filters in the computer.  I can look at the wide display (up to 20 KHz) by switching out the IF filters.  Ultimately, I plan on putting together another softrock and using it for spectrum analyzer display.  You can see my write up on this as well as the way I tapped the 455 KHz IF at:

                    http://people.wallawalla.edu/~Rob.Frohne/SDR/SDR-Shell/

                    73,

                    Rob, KL7NA

                    On 12/30/2009 08:25 AM, on7eh wrote:

                    Thanks for the replies!
                    Decision taken: I'll abandon the 455kHz track and will be using the IF OUT1 connection at the back of the TS850(D). (at 8.83MHz)
                    So I'll wait for Tony, KB9YIG who'll have
                    available Lite II specials for IF applications, by mid-January.
                    Be informed, I've two redundant SR Lite kits for 455kHz IF application, available...
                    Hny to all,
                    73,
                    Michel, ON7EH/QRP

                    I use a Softrock in the 8.3mhz of an old Kenwood TS-520S. Tapped in directly just before the crystal filter with no padding. Absolutely no loading of IF circuit. I do see a slight roll-off at 96khz SDR bandwidth due to the "preselector" which is a variable roofing filter. Got the 12v from the radio.
                    Dick N3HKN

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Chris <kc2rgw@...> wrote:

                    > I believe the 8.83 gives you a wider view than using the 455 would.
                    >
                    > I used the 8.83 on a 940 for a while with really decent results. I would
                    > *assume* the 850's IF out would have similar properties.
                    >
                    > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Radioamateur <ON7EH@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Dear all,
                    > >
                    > > 2 years ago, I ordered 2 such kits.
                    > > I am about to build these but I cannot locate the changes and installation
                    > > guidelines inside the TS850(D).
                    > > Can someone help me locating these descriptions?
                    > > What can I expect of bandwidth in this application?
                    > > The accompanying SW would be Linux Linrad.
                    > >
                    > > Or should I sell them off and rather look for the 8.83MHz IF SR which is
                    > > better documented on the I-net?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
                    > >
                    > > Michel,
                    > > ON7EH/QRP
                    > >

                    > --
                    > 73 de Chris KC2RGW