Re: Call for review/collaboration Open VNWA (al la DG8SAQ)

  • drmail377
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi Rob,

      I too am on the fence about buying a VNWA due to the both the price and the purchase terms. It's good I saw this before taking the plunge.

      I don't know how I can help you - I'll look at the design and send you a message. Are you basing your effort on the ability to use the VNWA software? Is that allowed? If so, will it continue to be allowed? Have the VNWA folks agreed to this?

      I heard somewhere the VNWA uses NE612's. I have no idea if this is true, but if-so, there's one likely improvement that might significantly extend the truly usable frequency range of the instrument.

      73's David

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Rob Frohne <rob.frohne@...> wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > As a result of not being able to negotiate a purchase through SDR-Kits
      > (because we couldn't agree on terms 11-16 in the purchase agreement
      > regarding openness)
      >
      > http://www.sdr-kits.net/VNWA/SDR-Kits_orderingterms.pdf
      >
      > and because I need eight analyzers for our Analog Electronics
      > Laboratory, I have begun an open design based closely on Tom Baier's
      > (DG8SAQ) wonderful and very innovative work.
      >
      > http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/
      >
      > This analyzer utilizes the spurs that are produced by the DDS oscillator
      > to extend the range far beyond the fundamental range of the DDS in a way
      > also described by Sam Wetterlin.
      >
      > http://wetterlin.org/sam/
      >
      > This email is to solicit collaboration and review of my design before
      > the circuit board layout is done. If you have already purchased an
      > analyzer, please read your purchase agreement before joining this
      > discussion. It may limit how you can assist.
      >
      > I have sent this email to three mailing lists:
      > VNWA
      > hpsdr
      > and softrock40
      > because it could be of use to folk on all those lists. Probably further
      > discussion would be more appropriate on a single list, possibly the VNWA
      > list if it is welcome there, or if not, perhaps on the hpsdr list. I'd
      > appreciate direction regarding where the discussion should occur.
      >
      > My Kicad design files can be downloaded at:
      >
      > http://people.wallawalla.edu/~Rob.Frohne/VNWA/DG8SAQ-KL7NA-VNA.tar.gz
      >
      > These files have been produced without seeing any schematic of Tom's
      > analyzer, but I attempted to make it as compatible as possible given the
      > information that Tom and others have shared on the web.
      >
      > 73 & Happy New Year!
      >
      > Rob, KL7NA
      >
      > --
      > Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
      > E.F. Cross School of Engineering
      > Walla Walla University
      > 100 SW 4th Street
      > College Place, WA 99324
      > (509) 527-2075 http://people.wallawalla.edu/~rob.frohne

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
        Rob

        This looks it would be of great interest to me. I have been keeping an eye on this VNA as my next needed piece of test equipment. This certainly makes sense to build for myself sooner or later. A lot more to learn by doing it from ~scratch.

        I would first be interested in finding out the legalities of what you are attempting and your goals. I would like to discuss with you about what your real target is for the end product here. What are the specs you are shooting for and intended audience? What is your meaning of an open design in this online community? I have not dealt with design efforts like this before, so there is also lots for me to learn about that side of it as well.

        I have found and downloaded the Kicad tool and will take a look at the schematics you have.

        Sounds fun! Let's talk.

        73's Bill WB7QFO