Re: [softrock40] Re: I2C problem?

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2009
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Brian"
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: I2C problem?

      > Details? This seems like a good idea. Are there any downsides?
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
      >> Looking at it from a different point of view the 5V USB line can be
      >> removed
      >> completely. I power the AVR directly from the Softrock. Then the Softrock
      >> will start on your favourite preset frequency with, or without, the USB
      >> connected.
      >> When USB is connected it is recognised and operates normally.

      I can hardly claim this is a tried and trusted method, as far as I know I am
      the only one to have tried it.
      I have 4 Softrock Lites to which I have added an Si570. These are used for
      long-term monitoring on a single frequency, I just need to set the frequency
      and may not need to change it for a long while. Recently I added USB
      controllers saving me the need to reprogram the PIC.

      After setting and storing the frequency with CGFSR I need them to start with
      the AVR powered up but do not need a USB connection. So, effectively I have
      removed and insulated the red 5V wire from the USB plug. From where it was
      connected on the USB controller I connected to the Softrock power. I
      actually used the 3V3 supply but the 5V rail would be better. I have found
      that the controller does not need to be powered by the USB line, when
      connecting USB it is recognised and works normally.