Re: I2C problem?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
      Details? This seems like a good idea. Are there any downsides?

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2009
        From: "Brian"
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: I2C problem?

        > Details? This seems like a good idea. Are there any downsides?
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
        >> Looking at it from a different point of view the 5V USB line can be
        >> removed
        >> completely. I power the AVR directly from the Softrock. Then the Softrock
        >> will start on your favourite preset frequency with, or without, the USB
        >> connected.
        >> When USB is connected it is recognised and operates normally.

        I can hardly claim this is a tried and trusted method, as far as I know I am
        the only one to have tried it.
        I have 4 Softrock Lites to which I have added an Si570. These are used for
        long-term monitoring on a single frequency, I just need to set the frequency
        and may not need to change it for a long while. Recently I added USB
        controllers saving me the need to reprogram the PIC.

        After setting and storing the frequency with CGFSR I need them to start with
        the AVR powered up but do not need a USB connection. So, effectively I have
        removed and insulated the red 5V wire from the USB plug. From where it was
        connected on the USB controller I connected to the Softrock power. I
        actually used the 3V3 supply but the 5V rail would be better. I have found
        that the controller does not need to be powered by the USB line, when
        connecting USB it is recognised and works normally.