Re: [softrock40] Re: I2C problem?

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
      From: "g8voip" <

      > I really think incorporating a switch for both the USB 5V and the main 12V
      > supply is the best approach.

      Looking at it from a different point of view the 5V USB line can be removed
      completely. I power the AVR directly from the Softrock. Then the Softrock
      will start on your favourite preset frequency with, or without, the USB
      connected.
      When USB is connected it is recognised and operates normally.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
        Details? This seems like a good idea. Are there any downsides?

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2009
          From: "Brian"
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: I2C problem?

          > Details? This seems like a good idea. Are there any downsides?
          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
          >> Looking at it from a different point of view the 5V USB line can be
          >> removed
          >> completely. I power the AVR directly from the Softrock. Then the Softrock
          >> will start on your favourite preset frequency with, or without, the USB
          >> connected.
          >> When USB is connected it is recognised and operates normally.

          I can hardly claim this is a tried and trusted method, as far as I know I am
          the only one to have tried it.
          I have 4 Softrock Lites to which I have added an Si570. These are used for
          long-term monitoring on a single frequency, I just need to set the frequency
          and may not need to change it for a long while. Recently I added USB
          controllers saving me the need to reprogram the PIC.

          After setting and storing the frequency with CGFSR I need them to start with
          the AVR powered up but do not need a USB connection. So, effectively I have
          removed and insulated the red 5V wire from the USB plug. From where it was
          connected on the USB controller I connected to the Softrock power. I
          actually used the 3V3 supply but the 5V rail would be better. I have found
          that the controller does not need to be powered by the USB line, when
          connecting USB it is recognised and works normally.