RXTX 6.3 160 meter core winding

  • k6acj
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
      Regarding RX BPF 160 meter L100, what is the best way to wind 66 turns onto this core?? The core is full at 40 turns, do I just reverse direction for the remaining 26 turns or do I jump back to the center of the core and continue to wind in the same direction ??

      Any other 160 meter coil winding hints??? This is a challange ... Bill k6acj

      "[___] L100-1 18.7 uH T30-2 (red) #30 BPF 160: 66 turns #30 (34") (may need overwinding) BPF-1"
    • g3oth
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
        Bill,
        Just keep on taking the medicine and winding in the same way and direction, on no account reverse, you haven't done anything incorrect, that core becomes full with about 40 turns on board so you have to add the remainder as a second layer.
        Enjoy es 73 de Charles G3OTH

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "k6acj" <k6acj@...> wrote:

        > Regarding RX BPF 160 meter L100, what is the best way to wind 66 turns onto this core?? The core is full at 40 turns, do I just reverse direction for the remaining 26 turns or do I jump back to the center of the core and continue to wind in the same direction ??
        >
        > Any other 160 meter coil winding hints??? This is a challange ... Bill k6acj
        >
        > "[___] L100-1 18.7 uH T30-2 (red) #30 BPF 160: 66 turns #30 (34") (may need overwinding) BPF-1"

      • R R Robson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009

          From the Builders' Notes

          Winding Inductors

          To learn how to wind coils and transformers, please read the tips from the experts and then view the excellent videos on KC0WOXs Website to solidify your understanding of the task.

          Concernimg the number of turns in the windings, David WW2R has reported that he had to adjust the number of windings on L100-1 (the 66 turn coil on the 160m band) because of the fact that the toroid was not able to accept 66 turns as a single layer, without winding back over some of the existing winding. Overlapping turns caused him to need 69 turns to reach the required inductance of 18.7 uH.

          Pete N4ZR pointed out: "The 160-meter L100 requires 66 turns, but only about 40-45 turns will fit on the core in a single layer. You need to keep winding in the same direction in a second layer until you complete the 66-69 turns. I wound 69 originally, but on checking with my MFJ-259, which may not be very accurate the inductance appeared to be a little high.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
            Well said Robby, much more detail in your message than in my reply.
            Only thing that might still be misconstrued.

            "David WW2R has reported that he had to adjust the number of windings on L100-1 (the 66 turn coil on the 160m band) because of the fact that the toroid was not able to accept 66 turns as a single layer, without winding BACK over some of the existing winding."

            For those still in any doubt BACK is used here to mean BACK in time, not in REVERSE direction.

            73 de Charles G3OTH

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
              Thanks for the 160 core info. I've built and used all the other modules with good success and didn't want to find out I was in trouble here. So, after building 3 HFProject amps and the SoftRock RXTX 160-10 modules, I'm about done winding cores for a while. ..... :o))

              bill k6acj