Rocky, WinRad, SRv6 and USB Soundblaster Live

  • Milt Cram
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hi All,

      My sons recently gave me a new Compaq Presario laptop with Conexant
      sound chips. The internal sound system is recognized by both Rocky and
      WinRad. However, the sound quality is poor.

      Consequently, I have purchased a Creative SoundBlaster Live 24 bit
      external card. Everything seems to work great on 48kHz sampling.
      However, when I go to 96kHz sampling, I appear to be getting an
      increased noise level, and the spectral display shows a significant drop
      in signal level beyond about 25kHz. In other words, even though the
      programs recognize the 96kHz setting of the SB Live, the usable spectrum
      is limited to +/- 24kHz, not the +/-48kHz that I expected.

      I get similar results with my SoftRock40 and my 2-band SR6.

      Has anyone in the group had a similar experience with the external (USB)
      SB Live card? If so, were you able to resolve the problem? Are there
      some settings for the SB Live that I have likely missed?

      Thanks in advance,
      Milt, W8NUE
    • Jim Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        sb live external is only usb1.1 and can't do much more than barely input the
        stream at 96khz. you'll need to have the output use your existing sound
        solution.

        if you get much other activity on the pc it will drop it down to 48khz as
        the driver runs out of bandwidth.

        been there, done that...

        73

        jim ab3cv