Re: [softrock40] V6-Images-audio balance looks good??

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hi Dick,

      Does Rocky tell you that the two L and R signals have about the same
      amplitude? Also what do you see when you go to I/Q balance?

      When T1 is wired correctly the unmarked via between via 3 and via 5 should
      have two secondary wires goin to it, one from the top of the core and one
      from the bottom of the core. The resistance beteeen the unmarked via and
      via 3 or unmarked via and via 5 should be about zero ohms.

      Look carefully at the soldering of pins of U4. Also look to see if R7 and
      R8 are hitting the right vias on the board. R8 going to a wrong via neat
      its location could cause the problem you are seeing.

      Hope this helps.

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        The audio should be 90 degrees out of phase.

        At 01:56 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:

        >Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
        >they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
        >get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
        >audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
        >that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky. ????
        >Dick N3HKN
        >

        >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in balance
        > > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
        > > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
        > > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
        > > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
        > >
        > > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
        > >
        > > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v p-p.
        > >
        > > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
        > > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift or T1
        > > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
        >clocks.
        > >
        > > Signed - Baffled
        > >
        > > Dick N3HKN
        > >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
      • n3hkn
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          My problem seems to have been my Turtle Beach sound card. Something
          became fouled up and had to reload drivers.

          Re: Sound I/Q output of V6.

          I thought that it had to be 180 degrees out so that it could be used
          to cancel the image. I know that the clocks are 90deg out to get the
          four samples integrated to two composites which is where the 180
          degree question comes in.

          In the meantime the V6 seems to work very well. I have 2 V5s but no
          setup to switch between them right now. So "very well" is the best I
          can do.
          Dick
          N3HKN

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

          > The audio should be 90 degrees out of phase.
          >
          > At 01:56 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:
          >

          > >Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
          > >they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
          > >get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
          > >audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
          > >that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky. ????
          > >Dick N3HKN
          > >

          > >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in
          balance
          > > > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
          > > > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
          > > > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
          > > > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
          > > >
          > > > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
          > > >
          > > > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v
          p-p.

          > > > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
          > > > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift
          or T1
          > > > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
          > >clocks.
          > > >
          > > > Signed - Baffled
          > > >
          > > > Dick N3HKN
          > > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Cecil Bayona
          > KD5NWA
          > www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"

        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
            Nope, the four quadrature are added up in pairs, 0, and inverted 180, 90 and inverted 270 degrees. They do not cancel by subtracting, that is why you need a PC, the math is quite complex. By having the two audio signal be generated by clocks that are 90 degrees apart you generate I and Q audio from which you can calculate if a signal is below or above the clock.

            You might be thinking of a NC2030 where the signals are subtracted but only after going through a polyphase network.

            At 03:42 PM 4/3/2006, you wrote:
            My problem seems to have been my Turtle Beach sound card. Something
            became fouled up and had to reload drivers.

            Re: Sound I/Q output of V6.

            I thought that it had to be 180 degrees out so that it could be used
            to cancel the image. I know that the clocks are 90deg out to get the
            four samples integrated to two composites which is where the 180
            degree question comes in.

            In the meantime the V6 seems to work very well. I have 2 V5s but no
            setup to switch between them right now. So "very well" is the best I
            can do.
            Dick
            N3HKN

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

            > The audio should be 90 degrees out of phase.
            >
            > At 01:56 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:
            >

            > >Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
            > >they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
            > >get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
            > >audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
            > >that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky.  ????
            > >Dick  N3HKN
            > >

            > >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in
            balance
            > > > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
            > > > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
            > > > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
            > > > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
            > > >
            > > > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
            > > >
            > > > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v
            p-p.

            > > > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
            > > > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift
            or T1
            > > > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
            > >clocks.
            > > >
            > > > Signed - Baffled
            > > >
            > > > Dick  N3HKN
            > > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > Cecil Bayona
            > KD5NWA
            > www.qrpradio.com
            >
            > "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...